“going downhill fast!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurante "El Rodeo"

Restaurante "El Rodeo"
Good for: Families with children
San Diego
“going downhill fast!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Its really sad when bad things happen to really good places. That's the reality of el rodeo restaurant. it was once a tremendously popular place in TJ, but like with many businesses that end up being mismanaged things change.

we recently went to celebrate a birthday and had not been there for a few years but recall how great a place it was. the service was good - but it may have been because the place was empty - on a Friday of all days. we were the only ones there which was strange. we started with appetizers of queso fundido, then the quesadillas, and finally some side salads. our main course was 3 parriadas of meat (each for 2 people) which was really a joke. it was brought to us and included what looked like some really small ribs two pieces of burnt paper thin carne asada, and about 6 inches of chorizo which was as thick as a pencil. i could easily have ate the whole parriada for 2 myself. Each parriada went for about $40. I won't waste anymore time writing about this experience ...just use your imagination.

Although the place has an awesome old west theme, its spotlessly clean (from customers too) it has good service, and it has incredible potential, I would not recommend it to anyone for the food. its laughable how bad it is. and with all the newer steakhouses in town this place is just a lost cause.

hopefully this place changes course because its one of the few unique places you really want to like, and its been here forever. :(

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

San Diego, California
“Used to be a great place, wont come bacl”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Came here with my wife and 2 kids for dinner.
This place used to be a great place for steaks back in the 90's. It is decorated inside/outside like the old west with Dim lighting.

Menu is short, and lacks of variety. We were offered steak juice in cups, taste was good, but after a couple of sips, we noticed that two of the cups still had lip stick mark on them, so I complained to our server and ask them to be more careful. Then tortilla chips came in, and as we were eating them, I noticed that one of the chips still had guacamole, when we did not order it, So yes...They recycle the chips.

So I asked the waiter to cancel or "parrillada" (Grilled steak for 2 on a mini-grill), but it was to late, so I asked them to put in in a box to take home. Steak was thin cut and not tender, chicken breast, was tasty and juicy. Beans were seasoned with oregano, didn't like them.

Prices are expensive and portions small. End up paying around $68USD (880pesos). Could have spend the same amount at other far much better places (Fonda Argentina, Asadero Argentino, Mr. Pampas do Brazil).

Sorry, but will not return.

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Baldwin Park, California
“Great place looks like an amusement park of the old west outside”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

It had a good ambiance, although a bit pricey for the meal we tried. The meat was not as tender for the price, decent size with lots of sides. Overall I would not come here unless I had a large appetite, which I do not. We ordered one regular meal and they added another $75.00 pesos for one quesadilla, one coyote, a small cup of their beef broth and a small cup of pinto beans. It was a total of $39.00 US dollars not including tip, which I did leave the waiter who was very pleasant and had nothing to do with the expensive meal. It looked great just not a place I would pay this much money for.

• Visited September 2013