“Unacceptable” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 39 Hotels in Tijuana
Las Vegas
“Unacceptable”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is a former Holiday Inn, probably 40 years old. My room had not undergone a remodel, save for a new tv and bed, since it was built. Bath fixtures were rusted and worn and the toilet emitted a foul smell. The carpet was worn and the room lacked promised amenities like a coffee maker. The hotel atrium is now a casino and an announcer worked the public address system all night announcing winners. You could hear it clearly in the rooms.
There is no fitness center (despite the listing) and one of the two hotel elevators appears out of commission.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
PuebloAmigoHotel, Gerente at Hotel Pueblo Amigo Plaza & Casino, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
RodriguezLasVegas, We appreciate your comments. I have always consider them as a tool for improvement. Since the opening as Holiday Inn 19 years ago, we are proud to announce one more renovation for our Property. As I learned of your experience, I have to say that was a terrible exception rather than the rule. Unfortunately we stared with an ambitious renovation program in June 2013, As a manager of the property, I would like to invite you to visit our property, either as a mistery shopper or as my guest. All I want is the opportunity for you to witness before the tripadvisor community, the wonderful renovation, the new systems on heaters, air conditioning, the sealed mechanisms in every single door that lower in a great deal the casino ambiance. Fell free to contact Gerardo Delgado, Resident Manager. Love to hear from you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I just got back from TJ and had a grand stay of a time at Hotel Pueblo Amigo, which is not far from the border or downtown.

I was in TJ for med purposes, I needed cataract surgery and opted to get a 2nd opinion in TJ. The med office Codex Vision referred me to Pueblo Amigo as a good place to stay. I was in TJ for 3 days. First of all the staff were very friendly and helpful, one is usually greeted with a warm smile and how are you doing or can I help you with anything, type of attitude. Which makes for a enchanting background to a nice hotel. The grounds and hotel are kept very clean, yes there is gambling and this is probably how they pay a lot of bills. If I had a compliant, it would be that once or twice I heard BINGO, BINGO, BINGO that one of the machines has recorded in its memory while I was asleep. It was not that loud and I quickly went back to sleep.

The room was grand in nature and roomy in size. The bed extremely comfortable, the decor is professional and tasteful in me humble opinion. The bath room is large and done in marble type tile, has that rich feeling. The tub is very relaxing, I turned me ankle and took a couple hot baths and I am 5'10" and I was most comfortable soaking in said tub. A color TV worked well, stations in Spanish, I was in Mexico, additionally there was a writing deck, formal type sitting chair with ottoman and couple nite stands and dresser and sizable closet. My room was on the 5th floor and this provide a panoramic view of TJ and area.

As stated earlier, the grounds are lush and well maintained, as is the exterior. The lobby is large and inviting with its black mable flooring. Pueblo Amigo has a restaurant, that I found to be enjoyable and provides wide array of food styles and choices. I ate couple dinners here and the meals were fairly priced and the dishes were tasty to me. I felt I got great dinners for the price I paid. The waiter service was excellent. Just beyond the restaurant was the gaming portion of the hotel. The gaming and restaurant area is on ground floor and has 7 floors of open space above it. The side wall is made of glass and iron work from floor to ceiling, makes for great back ground as I would assend up the glass elevator to me room.

The hotel provided shuttle for me to med clinic and Jaun Carlos provided excellent service and very safe ride.

I live in Los Angeles area and often hear many negative things about TJ, my stay at Pueblo Amigo, with its professional and friendly staff reminded me of the rich heritage and pride that is Mexico! Perhaps I am over stating my stay, Pueblo Amigo provided me with fabulous service in a grand setting, what more is there to say?

BTW, I went with Codex Vision and now have 20/20 vision in me left eye, they were excellent too!!!

Room Tip: try to get upper floor facing or with view of TJ and Downtown area.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I stayed at the hotel because I was having elective surgery nearby and my room was booked through the company that coordinated my surgery. The night before the surgery, I stayed in one of the older rooms that had not been remodeled. Everything was clean and the bed was very comfortable but it was very out dated. I stayed at the hotel again after the surgery and was put in a remodeled room which was much better.
The hotel staff was absolutely outstanding!! Friendly, helpful, courteous and very accommodating. I did not eat at the hotel due to restrictions before and after surgery but the food looked very good, especially the buffet in the morning. I did not experience any smoke at the hotel, the area of the casino near the lobby is smoke free and I am very sensitive to smoke.
The one recommendation that I would have is that they get cable or satellite television with channels in English to accommodate English speaking guests. It seems that they get a lot of guests there that are having elective surgery nearby and need to rest in the room a lot.
I would stay here again if I were in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Yorba Linda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Very clean rooms with first class service. We were in Tijuana for business and were able to relax and recharge in the evenings. The lively casino was available for those of us who wanted the stimulation, as well as areas of quiet for others. The rooms were a welcome sight in the evenings.
An island of comfort in a sea of confusion and distraction.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

only bad thing was that they were fully booked and we arrived early after my husband had gastric sleeve surgery so we ate at the buffet while waiting for a room to be cleaned and our bathroom commode needed a new valve to flush properly. these were minor issues considering they gave us complimentary drinks and casino coupons to use during our stay. The room was very spacious and clean and Tony was so great and knowledgeable at the front door and even took us shopping on the golf cart to the market nearby. the restaurant staff knew my husband was on a special diet and were very courteous to our needs. The steak tampiquena was so delicious I ordered it twice and room service was good.

Room Tip: I wish they had a pool but other than that our stay was very nice.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We stayed here in the past, it is nice, clean, but a bit Pricey for the Area.
The Food in the Restaurant was real good, with one of the Best Hambergers
I ever Had. It is not far to the Shopping areas, on Revalution Bl, But also Great Shopping
Behind Revolution in the Business district, and prices will be better, it is the Upper to Middle Class section, and has old churches and a Nice Old style Park with Entertainment.

Ritchie H.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I took a second honeymoon here. It was a wonderful stay. Staff was very helpful and friendly. Food was great and our room was beautiful. I was excepting loud noise but we stayed on,the 4th floor and we were able to sleep. Overall I would give them 10s.

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Hotel Pueblo Amigo Plaza & Casino? Share your experiences!