“A Shady & Relaxing Place” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel El Conquistador
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Blvd Agua Caliente 10750, Tijuana 22420, Mexico   |
Ranked #25 of 38 Hotels in Tijuana
Oakland, California
“A Shady & Relaxing Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Twice I've had a chance to stay at Hotel Conquistador, at on Agua Calientes across from the Two Tijuana Towers, where the rooms are spacious and the courtyard is shady with lots of bougainvillea. There are many doctors offices and clinics in the Two Towers.

The property encompasses an entire city block with a high surrounding wall and parking in a wide courtyard and beneath some of the rooms. There is protected parking here, since no one can just walk into or through the parking lot.

Let me say that I was quite satisfied with the place. I tend to travel cheaply, and i am (mostly) not as fastidious as many travelers. I usually stay at places like the Ocampo or the Nubia or the Americano, but I chose Conquistador for a specific purpose.

The hotel is a bit pricey for me, at about $60 for a single, but the service was excellent. The rooms on both occasions were spacious, clean and cool (important as it was summer).

For those vacationing on a budget, this could be the right place, as it is out of the tourist zone and yet conveniently located.

I had chosen this place to recuperate after surgery, and it served me well. I stayed the night before the surgery, so that I would be closer to the operating center, and then cabbed back and went right to bed to sleep off the anesthetic.

Once I stayed there with a friend who was very helpful in caregiving after the surgery, and the next year I decided that i could go it alone. I felt confident that, should I have a problem, the staff would be helpful enough for my needs. Phones in the rooms and doctors across the street allayed any doubts I might have had.

I was able to walk to several of the restaurants close by and I was very glad I had made the choice to stay here, rather than staying at my usual, the Hotel Zaragosa behind the fronton in TJ centro.

I would not put too much stock in complaints about hotels - everyone is different and has a different level of acceptance. Tolerance thresholds vary. Even the most exclusive (and expensive) hotel has an off-day. This is after all, Mexico. Do we come here for luxury? Or for the experience?

Room Tip: Just make sure to always - no matter what hotel you are checking into - ask for a key and inspect th...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
La Mesa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

I was in this Hotel the pass weekend. First, the front desk, very unfriendly attention, second no internet service, third I was in the Hotel for one night and they charged me for two nights, robbing me one night. Please stay away from this Hotel.

Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
brit in la
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2006

on the plus side the rooms are very large; however the bathroom shower did not work.the hotel advertises on it's website a restaurant-closed for renovation?-and an exciting bar-also closed. pool area disused and dusty,water not heated.the breakfast was very basic but acceptable no room sevice. luckily there are good restaurants across the street at the grand hotel.

• Liked — room size
  • Disliked — shower broken
  • Tips/Secrets — check the bistro restaurant at the grand hotel
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2003

We were a little leary about staying in Tijuana, but we heard from a friend that El Conquistador was nice.

We were pleasantly surprised when we walked in our room. It was huge and very clean. Everyone who worked there was very friendly, especially the bartender Manuel. The restaurant and lounge were very nice and we had a lot of fun.

The parking was very safe--it was in a courtyard right outside the rooms, and there was a guard patrolling the grounds.

The pool area was very nice and clean, and there is a swim up bar. It's a pretty quiet location because it's away from the main drag.

The only thing we weren't all that impressed with was that the room looked very clean and was very clean except for the carpet. It looked brand new and appeared to be very clean, but our feet turned black.

Overall though it was a great place to stay and we'd deffinately go back--we'll just bring flip-flops along and we'll be fine :-)

Been to Hotel El Conquistador? Share your experiences!