“BED BUGS!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of La Fonda Hotel, Restaurant and Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rosarito
La Fonda Hotel, Restaurant and Spa
You added La Fonda Hotel, Restaurant and Spa to your Saves list
Km 58.5 | La Misión exit, Rosarito to Ensenada, Rosarito, Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Rosarito
San Diego, California
“BED BUGS!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

Do not stay here, my girlfriend and I got completely worked over by bed bugs. I'm nervous that the infestation was so bad that I brought them home with me, I think I am getting fresh bites; not sure but it's kind of freaking me out...never experienced anything like this.

A shame, we used to love this hotel. I didn't even mind the "lack of upgrades." I like rustic. But bed bugs are simply a deal breaker. We stayed in a cabana over Thanksgiving weekend. We were planning to go back for New Years, not anymore.

There is a picture of the family that owns the hotel over the check-in desk...they seem like a nice looking family, they need to get in there and at the very least fixed the bed bug issue.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
BajaBarbara, Director of Sales at La Fonda Hotel, Restaurant and Spa, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
La Fonda takes great care to assure our guests a pleasent and healthy stay. In regards to the issue of bed bugs I do not think you had an issue of bed bugs. We have the property sprayed by a reputable pest control company on a regular basis and also vaccuum the beds because we know people like to take advantage of our beautiful beaches and where there is sand there are sand fleas which are sometimes brought back from the beach. We do everything we can to keep our rooms clean and in top condition. We do hope you will continue to frequent La Fonda Hotel, Restaurant, Spa.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
San Diego, Ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

I participated in a wine tour of the vineyards in Ensenada and as part of the 3 day tour we stayed at La Fonda. The view, the water, the beach and the buffet were all of my favorite things about this hotel. It is definitely run down and needs some upgrades. My room had a great view and a big patio but it was cold and the fireplace wasn't providing much heat. The complimentary wood was wet and difficult to light. The rooms are pricey for the quality, I would prefer to stay somewhere else in the same area or rent a house instead of pay the bloated rate they charge here.

Room Tip: Although the beach front bungalows have a nice view it is dangerous to walk down the run-down stairs...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

I have been here several times and I can't get enough. I love the atmosphere, the view, the memories, everything. The rooms are not fancy by any means but they are clean and comfortable. The ocean views are simply amazing. If you are a young, adventerous traveler, I highly recommend this place. Be careful with those margaritas, they're the strongest Ive ever had, and I like to drink! I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

I stayed the last four nights at La Fonda Hotel. Went there for a family members wedding. I read reviews on Tripadvisor that were really scary about thefts, dirty rooms, high priced food etc... I have to say that was definitely not the case. Our room, #36 was very clean and comfortable. The housekeeping was excellent, with no thefts of iPods, money, jewely, etc. The restaurant was actually inexpensive compared to US prices. The banana pancakes are outstanding. The bar was a rocking good time with live music and dancing. It was a very relaxing, warm fun experience. I will definitely be back. The wedding was amazing and the reception at La Fonda was unforgettable. Margaret Elder

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Santa Ana, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Just got back from a great weekend. Location is great, right in the middle of Rosarito and Ensenada. The food at their restaurant is awesome. However this is not typical perfect bland room, very rustic, old and different. Must haves at the Lo Fonda is there Margaritas they are great!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Bellflower, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Well it was my first time going to rosarito since im 30yrs old now and i didnt expect much. From the reviews here and the website they have it seemed good, the place looked nice! and all I read were really good reviews. So we thought we made a good choice. We had a reservation for friday July 22 and we wanted to stay there two night but they were all booked for saturday because they had a wedding. My husband and me were disappointed that they had no more rooms for sat.
We check in to room 22 and I just was in awwhh it was very dusty and had cobwebs all over :( the patio could of been rised it out with a hose! Honestly I did not like it at all. I was even afraind to sleep in that bed!
Our view would of been nice if there wasnt any of those tall bamboos it covered the hole view!. I made my husband remove one of them so we can get a better view of the ocean. I would of made him cut all them off if I had scissors with me. >:(
We ate dinner there on friday and I ordered the chicken chiplote (not sure the name but it was chicken) and it didnt tasted good at all. My husband got the carne asada with the enchilada with rice and beans and i kinda feel bad because i switched plates with him. The enchilada, rice and beand were good. Sad to say we that we starved for dinner.
So on Sat. morning my poor husband we noticed he had gotten bitten by flees or something else all over his boody!!! especially his back since he sleeps with out a shirt...it was rediculous how much red marks he had!!! I felt so bad for him.
Were took showers to head back home and after my husband finished taking a shower it starded smelling like WEED really really bad!!! oh my gosh!!! we opened all the doors and windows so the smell could escape but it didnt work. The people on the next room must of been getting high and it penetrated our room! it must of gone threw the bathroom vent...discusting!!!! who wants to be smelling like WEED when you are going to be crossing the border in a few hrs????
ugh!! never again going to this place...I really don't understand how they could be good reviews about this place???...maybe we went on a really bad day???...

Room Tip: bring your own sheets and blankets!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

After deciding to have some gates made in Rosarito, we decided to stay overnight in the area. The reviews of La Fonda online looked to be outstanding, so we decided to stay overnight. We were in one of their high profile rooms overlooking the beach and ocean, but looked at most of the other options. All are a funky, but each seem to have some oddities. Room 21 has a hole in the floor which is supposed to be a sunken sitting area, but looks more like a weird hole in the floor. Room 20, above it, has a raised bathroom walk-up bathroom with picture window view. Problem is that the bath/shower is essentially a hole in the floor. Very strange. My recap, after thinking of it for a while, is that this is somewhat of a run down hotel with a great location. Service was OK, not many people around, even fewer at the nearby restaurants. Cheap drinks, not-so-cheap food. Avoid the $34 lobster. Found some beautiful shells on the shore. In short, this place is bordering on being a dump, but has a pristine location. Some will love it, others will be totally appalled beyond my summation here. You decide. Not sure I can tell you to stay here, or to avoid it like the plague.

Room Tip: Room 20 or 21
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to La Fonda Hotel, Restaurant and Spa? Share your experiences!