“Romantic, relaxing, rejuvinating” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Rosarito
San Diego
“Romantic, relaxing, rejuvinating”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2009

This was our first trip to Mexico. We live in San Diego and travel a lot all over the world for business and like to stay in places with some history and authentic old charm. The Rosarito Hotel looked like that kind of place from the internet.

Be sure to get Mexican auto insurance if you drive your own car into Mexico.

We got off the first exit and drove through the town of Rosarito and saw a lot of modern buildings mixed with small store front shops. You travel along the main street a bit and find the Rosarito Hotel is the last hotel on the beach. This hotel is simply beautiful. The architecture is amazing. Everyone working there was happy and wanted to be sure you have a great time. We felt like we were taken back in time to old Mexico.

We stayed in the one bedroom suite where the view is all beach. The room was very clean. It had a big flat screen TV that even gets some US TV channels. A full mini kitchen with everything to cook with including a frig, stove, microwave, toaster, coffee machine, electric can opener and even a margarita blender.

My wife spent about 7 hours in the two days at the Spa. I relaxed on the beach and pool. The food is great and everyone was very nice. The best part is that it is so inexpensive.

Although there are very nice shops with good value right within the hotel grounds we decided to take a walk to the post office in town. Now the town is not a very pretty place but people were friendly enough and there are some interesting food places. However I would avoid the small merchandise shops unless you don’t mind dealing with a hard core sell tactic. Once you go in it will be hard to get out without either buying something you probably don’t need or making them feel bad. They play on your sympathy. I didn’t see anything worth buying in town unless you want produce for cooking your own meals.

All in all the Rosarito Beach Hotel is a fine place to stay and we plan on many return visits.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2009

I stayed with my girl friend in the newer El Pacifico Tower of the Rosarito Beach Motel and the room was fantastic along with the view. Only about 5 percent of this building was occupied and I did not understand why they did not offer to upgrade us. I also pulled out my AAA card but they would not give me the discount.
I am planning to go back before the college spring break but the
Rosarito Beach website does not seem to work either - and I had trouble booking over the phone but will try again. I am looking forward to trying the spas but will not get in the hot tubs which looked rather dirty.
The beach is clean with lots of horses and quad ATVs and lots of great restaurants.

• Liked — Modern Amenities
  • Disliked — Hot tubs
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

We checked in and headed to our "antique" room. We had a very good promo rate for a Monday Night but I think it would have been wise to upgrade us to a nicer room as we have never stayed and this was NOT a good first impression and the hotel was DEAD. The room did have a nice view the furniture was OLD and the carpet (yes carpet in Mexico) was NASTY at best. The bathroom light was basically non existent. It was so dark in there we did not even bother with a shower the next day and waited until arriving at our next hotel in San Diego.
Other issues...
*ATM machine shut down in the middle of my transaction due to a surge in the hotels' electricity. They immediately said it was not their responsibility but actually it was their electricity and the banks were closed due to a holiday. I must say that Fernando the Conceirge really did help me out in writing a letter to attest I did not receive my money and my card for a bit! We then hired him to drove us to Puerto Nuevo for lunch so things got better. He is fantastic! He will drive you to the border wherever you want to go for a very reasonable price...
*Front Desk will NOT exchange money or travelers checks! I have never been anywhere where they were not accepted. They told us they would be accepted in the bar with a purchase then the cashier did not want to take them! Additionally the bartender was unattentive at best and was more interested in watching wrestling on TV than serving guests. We waited about 1/2 hour seated at the bar with empty drinks and had to try to get his attention. I was dumbfounded by this because again it was very quiet in the bar and restaurant.
*Went to Front Desk to ask for Manager, she said that there was not one on duty. Advised her of the issues and she said that she would write everything down and forward to GM. Nope. We contacted the GM about our issues and he questioned us why we did not tell anyone of these issues while we were there? We did many times and no one did anything....

The hotel has beautiful grounds and that is about it. I would definately look elsewhere before thinking of staying here!

Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
violetaOceanside, PR Manager at Rosarito Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2009
The Rosarito Beach Hotel has been serving generations since 1925. We strive to be true to our mission, make every guest a repeat guest. Unfortunately, sometimes this is not possible, as in this particular case.
Please refer to the most recent AAA handbook for AAA-evaluated room amenities. The ATM machine is not hotel owned nor operated. It is provided by the bank for our guests' comfort and convenience. We've spoken to the bank, which confirms that its machine will not dispense currency and will keep an ATM card after the user keys in the wrong code. This is per Mexican security standards.We do (and did, in this case) accept traveler's checks from our guests and clients.
As with any complaint, Management is ensuring that all issues are addressed and solved in a prompt manner. This client's emailed complaint was answered and corrected the following day by our General Manager.
uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2008

Stayed here at the end of October 2008. Room was a bit old in style compared to most UK hotels but i didn't see this as a problem. try and get a room with a sea view too, ours was very good. we also had fridge, hobs, blender, all the kitchen stuff you could need + free bottles of drinking water each day.

The area of rosarito was great with loads of nice restaurants for very cheap! theres also a good breakfast place just outside the hotel and the hotel restaurant was nice too. most of the bars were pretty quiet which was a shame but they livened up a bit at the weekend.

recommended if you're in the area!

• Liked — being in mexico!
  • Disliked — no safe deposit box in room, but they had one at reception
  • Stayed October 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2008

There were three of us that stayed in one of the townhome style rooms closer to the beach. We stayed for 2 days. When we checked out I directed my concerns of the bedbug bites 2 of us had. We were damn near eaten alive. We were covered in little red bumps all over; but my concerns fell on deaf ears. I demanded a refund for this mess. The Manager only offered a discount on a future stay. I told him he was out of his mind and I would never be staying here again. He didn't do refund.

Now amenities were ok. The food and dinner was not too bad at all, but I will never stay there again.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

We stayed at the Rosarito Beach Hotel, in the new Pacifico Tower in August. Our guests stayed in the Playas Tower as well as the Coronado Tower.

The Pacifico Tower opened just days before our arrival. As you can see from the hotel website, the rooms and decor are above average and very modern. We may have been the first guests staying in the particular room, as some of the usual items were missing, such as: Do not disturb sign, remote controls for TVs, not all lamps plugged in etc. Nonetheless, our stay was very enjoyable. There is a pool exclusively for the use of guests of the Pacifico, which dismayed the guests of the other towers. The rooms in this tower have all the comforts of what a luxury hotel should have, and is held to a high standard. Bathroom is clean and modern.

Although we did not stay at the Playas and Coronado Towers, several of our guests did. We noted on visits to their rooms that this tower is quite dated, and feels very "musty" in the rooms. I would say that the rooms are of a 2* quality, and for someone that is really concerned with cleanliness, this is probably not the place for you. I hasten to say that I felt "icky" while in these rooms. One guest said that the carpet at the corner of her room was damp, during her entire 2 day stay! But, these rooms cost far less than thoses in the new tower, and while not ideal, are still within Western standards.

The pools and beach were lovely, and have lounge chairs and private areas for the use of hotel guests. The pool attendants were not as attentive as we'd like, waiting over 30 minutes for towels on some days.

The hotel restaurant Azteca was very good - we were very happy with our food, and the service was excellent. Also tried the Pancake House at the foot of the Hotel property - we were impressed with our food, but service was slow.

Although the hotel advertises WIFI, these are only available from hotel common areas (such as the lobby) and are not accessable from the rooms. Even so, the service is slow and splotchy.

Location of the hotel is good - right on the main drag. Can go to the trinkets market, or other restaurants quite easily. There is also a Wal-Mart about 10 minutes away (very new) if one was to cook in the suites.

Overall, we were happy with our stay here.

• Liked — Clean modern room, great pool and great beachside location
  • Disliked — Slow service, although staff were frantically trying to outfit the new tower (which appeared to be behind schedule)
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

I found the hotel through their "condo" webpage. I called to make sure their new luxury condos would be finished, the pools, rooftop deck and pool, jaccuzis and more would be open and finished. We arrived and were given an unfinished room. We were moved, after tracking down the general manager, to a new room. This room was surrounded by rooms being worked on by the construction workers all hours of the day. The only amenity open was the downstairs pool. When we asked to have a drink, they told us they did not serve drinks. We had to leave the hotel to get a beverage. ALSO no alcohol is allowed on site in your room either. After no service and no amenities we checked out and they refused to refund us for the first night (even though we did not stay). NOT A WISE CHOICE IN ROSARITO!!!!!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Rosarito Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!