“The old Hotel ain't what it used to be!” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Spring Vacay
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Rosarito
Monterey, California
“The old Hotel ain't what it used to be!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We had a timeshare here for twenty years plus the time when were simple hotel guests. There have been several manger changes, several key staffer have left, yet there are many old employees that I will stop in for a drink to say hello. Those old employees hold the hotel together! They are wonderful people and friends over the years.
We ended our lease on an unhappy note, It was just as well the old hotel isn't the old hotel where I watched my kids grow up at the pool.
The Owners/management just got too greedy! and forgot about their great customers!
Now we do not stay here!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Woodland Hills, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We had a/c, two bed/two bath/two tv kitchen/living modern suite with huge balcony over a weekend and cost was fraction of same style room in Santa Barbara, Laguna or Ventura. Plus free dinners and drinks. Best deal of the century. Safe and perfectly clean accomodations. Great restaurants on premises, great service, lots of old world charm, and best ocean view of any hotel I've ever stayed at on the west coast. Staff bends over backwards to attend to you. I had a waiter volunteer to help me carry my "coco-loco" to my room because it was so heavy. Exotic and tropical landscaping. Only problem was noise factor from the ATVs going up and down the beach. But not at night so sleep not disturbed. Nothing to fear in Baja except too many tempting bargains, and too many coco-locos at this fabulous hotel. Felt like a queen. Not sure I should write this review for fear of too many people coming and spoiling an affordable paradise, but feel obligated to share the news. El Nido restaurant nearby is for steak and seafood lovers, but a bit pricey. The hotel restaurants are better bargain. We're going back in a month.

Room Tip: Stay in the new beachfront15 story condo tower; we had a/c, two bed/two bath/two tv kitchen/living s...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Came back again for the 4th of Julio weekend. Of course the partying was awesome!!! This time I drove down to Ensenada; The Toll Road was easy to find; exiting the hotel, hang a right as if you were jumping back on the freeway to go to Tijuana, but go South instead of North. It was a beautiful ride down there. I saw so many places to have fun at on the way down. Beautiful scenery!!! I want to take a fishing charter out of the area. Hurry up and stay here before I have all the fun to myself!!!

• Stayed July 2013
mrs.rose@cox.net
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My girlfriends and I decided to stay at this hotel based off of the reviews, price of the hotel and the fact that it was located right on the beach! I will be breaking down my review into different categories for ease of read in my review.

RESORT
I'm not sure if very many people posted the fact that this hotel has two different categories. The original hotel which has had additions added over the years and is in need of repair. The room that we had was an ocean view room which was decent having 2 double beds and a small bathroom. We also had a balcony so it was nice to enjoy the sound of the ocean in the morning between the times of 5am and 10am (the only time the bars are not blasting music!) We did enjoy the area of the hotel, it is one of the last resorts on the beach so the music is probably worse at the other resorts. The bed was decent and comfortable for the most part. I always travel with bed bug spray so we disinfected all linens prior to unpacking anything just in case but we did not see any signs of them. Although we wouldn't rate this a 5 star hotel in America, it's a decent 3 star and in Mexico's standard pretty decent. The hotel has a full functioning spa, 2 restaurants, cafe with gift shop, inside and outside bar as well as a karaoke bar. They also have a pool/jacuzzi as well as a separate pool area just for kids, although the kids swam and overtook both pools and jacuzzis. On this plan you will receive a white wrist band. You cannot go into the Condo side of the hotel.
The other side of this resort is the Rosarito Beach Condo Hotel. The condos are individually owned by private owners and when they aren't being used the hotel rents them out for them. The condos are awesome! We met some people renting on that side of the resort and they have a full functioning kitchen with brand new accommodations. They have their own pool/jacuzzi area with a full functioning bar. They also have an awesome infinity pool on the 19th floor. Every time I went up there the pool was being refilled so I think they refill it each night. They usually hold special events up there.

GROUNDS
The grounds were well maintained and very vibrant with flowers and such.

STAFF
The staff was very helpful, although they don't know very much English. There aren't very many Americans that stay here. I think more people from the Baja region and Mexico region vacation here so the staff cater to them. I never had a bad experience with any of the staff members. Although, every staff member wants a tip, including the omelette station and the tortilla maker. But in general very helpful and friendly.

RESTAURANTS
They have two, Azteca which has a regular menu and a buffet. Casa Blanco which has the ocean view and is beautiful! The breakfast buffet there is better than the buffet at Azteca but both have the omelette station so you are covered. The omelets were great and the tortillas always fresh. I also had the carne-asada tacos which were great. Don't get the ceviche, it's not traditional with lime and cilantro.

PRICES
I thought the prices for the food and beverages were too pricey for the caliber of hotel. Especially since this was Mexico and not upscale like Cancun or Cabo. I thought the prices were a bit to steep for what you actually received. I also thought the quality of the food was decent.

OTHER EATERIES
I would recommend trying some of the street vendors, always a great thing. There is a taco stand right outside of the resort that is always busy with locals so you know the food is great, and always fresh!

SAFETY
The great thing about this resort is that they are on total lockdown after dark. Even though it sucked to not have the jacuzzi available after 10pm and the pool area is heavily guarded, it was a comforting thought knowing that all the riffraff was kept outside the resort walls. The resort is gated and they have both open air parking as well as a parking garage. I was concerned about my car especially since it is brand new, but nothing happened to it. No dings, scratches or anything. The security is very heavy.

POOL/SPA
We never swam in the pools, they were over ran with families and little kids. Instead we set up on the beach and hung out.

BEACH
The beach is awesome! The sand is very soft and there are plenty of places to set up. In fact, the different bars (Pappas and Beer and Iggys) will offer to set up a table with umbrella for you or set up lounge chairs with umbrella as long as you order food and drinks with them, which is convenient! The service is great from the beach boys. Also, there are lots of vendors on the beach with food, etc so you really don't have to go into town to shop for anything. There are a lot of locals that come and camp out on the beach, if you are looking for a quiet area you need to go south of the pier. They have activities like horseback riding, Surfing lessons, ATV's, etc. I rhode the horse for 30 minutes for $10 and had a nice picture made of me, I thought that was a great deal. They even let you gallop if you are able to handle it. The horses are very well trained.

NIGHTLIFE
The best place to go and chill on the beach at night is Iggy's. Although there are 3 main bars right next to each other and they all compete to have the loudest music, Iggy's will make a bonfire for you and the service is great! Pappas and Beer is the best open air nightclub, everyone goes there and it gets crazy. They will also set up tables for you for a tip. CoCoBeach Nightclub is off of the beach and is smaller but the music is great. They have a stripper pole for you crazy girls! We also went into the Pink Cadillac gentleman's club and surprisingly it was clean. The girls were fun and everyone was friendly. We had a group of 7-8 of us and were pretty rowdy and nobody cared. In fact they liked it that way. The clubs are open until 5am so if you need to sleep in peace and quiet this is not the town for that!

Overall the trip was very fun. I thought Rosarito was going to be a bit more chill, but I think it's more of a party town. Even more so than Rocky Point (a reference for all you AZ people). Next time we decide to have a girls weekend in Mexico, we will go to Cancun or Cabo. Oh, and Thank God my friend spoke Spanish!!

Oh, last wonderful bit of advice and this is SUPER IMPORTANTE' for your FASTPASS for the border. This hotel offers a Fastpass to get through the border quicker. I don't know if other hotels offer it and if they don't whether or not you can purchase one. So it that helps you decide on the place to stay it's a huge factor for me. The Fastpass is given to you and instead of waiting at the border for 4-5 hours in traffic at a complete stand still it only takes you about an hour to get through. Here is the catch, once you have followed all the signs and are in the single barricaded lane, there is a point where you will see a small, and I mean small Police booth with orange barrels blocking off the left lane and it appears as though you need to continue on toward the right. Wrong! You need to pull up to the police booth and tell them you have a fast pass and they will move the orange barrels and let you through. Basically the fast pass lane is the emergency vehicle lane. If you miss this step you will end up lost, like we did for about 30 minutes. hahahaha If you have any questions, please feel free to message me.

Overall a great time with the girls!

Room Tip: Stay in the Pacifico Tower which is the condo tower. The Coronado Tower is the ocean view tower in...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Staff is great, scenery is beautiful, food is phenomenal, a must see by all. Security all premises 24/7. I've been going a lot since 2011, and every time surprises me. I always see something different. Also, while you there, going to Puerto Nuevo is a must if you want delusions food and tasty margaritas.

• Stayed May 2013
Moreno Valley, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

This trip was made possible through a fantastic deal provided by TravelZoo. The check-in process was flawless, the amenities that were included were provided without a hitch, and the staff was friendly and courteous. The lodging left a lot to be desired: we were housed in one of the towers that resembled a condo complex. The rooms were very bare-boned and lacked the basic "freebies" provided in most hotels; we constantly had to deal with a shortage of towels. I couldn't determine if the units were individually owned or not, but it was quite obvious that someone needed to do some repairs and updating to the facilities. The public areas were generally clean and in good repair; we especially enjoyed the spa and our massages. This deal is a bargain as long as you don't mind a very plain, basic room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Burbank, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Stayed in 7th floor of the older Coronado tower. Room was clean if boring and bare. View of ocean, but the sliding glass doors are so old and deteriorated, we could hardly see out them. Why not just open the balcony doors, you say? Because the next door beach disco bars play SUPER LOUD THUMPING HOUSE MUSIC ALL NIGHT AND ALL DAY - even at 7am.

One of my worst nights sleep in a hotel. Why this hotel management cannot get the neighboring places to quiet down (say, at 4am), I don't know.

Not much to do in the town. Food was fair. Drinks are cheap by US standards - that was fine. Don't go here for either romance or peace and quiet. There was a 90 minute queue to check in.

Be sure to get the Fast Track pass to get back into the US, because even with that, it takes over an hour to get your car back through. This is a nice benefit of the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Rosarito Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!