“Beautiful but windy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa at The Islands of Loreto

Save Saved
You added Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa at The Islands of Loreto to your Saves list
Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa at The Islands of Loreto
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera Transpeninsular km 84 | Ensenada Blanca, Loreto 23880 , Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #4 of 21 hotels in Loreto
Bellingham, Washington
“Beautiful but windy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

The resort, unspoiled beach and views are fabulous. We just got home 12/26/13. I would go later in the year as it was clear but very windy. Wonderful staff. It's a very quiet and issolated resort. They are breaking ground for the golf course. Spa is just opened and beautiful. The kitchen in the room is great and we got feash seafood from fisherman and made our own meals.

402 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
T-Town
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

The resort is beautiful! The staff is superb! The problem is the food. There were 6 of us and two got sick. We spoke to several others that had gotten sick also. We ate at all of the restaurants. I think they need someone new in the kitchen. They have a chef that is suppose to be from Venice. We saw him walk around a couple of times and pay a lot of attention to a table that had caught a fish that day and he prepared it for them. It happened to be Valentines Day. It was a pre-set menu for us. ALL OF OUR FOOD WAS COLD. At another meal at their expensive restaurant Dinzante's (sp?) I ordered the salad that had the large shrimp on it. I could smell the shrimp as they passed in front of my nose. NOT GOOD!!! I did not eat it. My dinner came, skewers with steak, scallops, vegies, etc... My friend ordered the same thing. The scallops were not cooked and the steak was cold. It came with potatoes and they were cold. When the waiter asked why I hadn't eaten anything I told him it was all cold. They need help in the food area. The safe food is at Casa Mia as they cook right there in front of you and it's hot. They basically use the same kitchen for the other restaurants. On the breakfast buffet they put left over meats in a sauce so stay away from them. We were told the chef doesn't like to throw anything away. We have traveled to Mexico for over 20 years and never have I seen so many people sick. In our van on the way to the airport there were 7 of us. Four out of seven had been sick.

Room Tip: There is no bad room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We were new to the area and loved the location. The staff were excellent and very helpful - and the resort is beautiful. We have been to some of the other properties and have never been concerned about the quality of the food or drinking water. My husband and at least another guest became sick, however, on the same day with the other guest eventually seeking medical help. Another guest was taken to the hospital and a few other guests commented that they were experiencing stomach cramping and distress.

In spite of this, we do plan to return because the location is so exceptional. In the meantime, there is a lot of work to do to match the culinary experience with their other resorts.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building have better wi-fi access.
Broomfield, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We loved Loreto and the Resort last time so this time we stayed for two weeks. When we arrived at the airport our transportation was ready and waiting. Once at the resort, as members, we asked for an upgrade which was no problem. It was good to see familiar faces like Guillermo smiling behind the front desk. Anything I asked him was treated like it was the most important thing he could do for me. After the traditional ceremony greeting us, we went to our 1 bedroom suite. These rooms are larger then the sister resort in Cabo and ALL room have an ocean view, no parking lot views here. The grounds were beautiful and I even saw a hummingbird. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet but also ordered from the menu for breakfast. My fav is the wonderful green drink, so healthy. This time of year the weather can be cool, 60's to 70's but we prefer this time of year. The pool area is clean and quiet with your choice of many comfortable spots to sit, even down on the beach. There never is a fight to reserve a chair because all the chairs have clean towels on them. Beachfront you will find two very large hammocks as well. And there are 3 fire pits to sit around in the evening while stargazing. Being on a bay, don't expect crashing waves, some mornings it was like glass and the sunrises were spectacular. Definitely take the hike up to the point for spectacular views, take some water with you. Also walk around the whole bay, you will find a little spot called the Sanctuary (part of Wild Loreto Tours) where we had chocolate clams and beer served by Roberto. Everything there was solar power. They also have paddle boards and kayaks. And a clean bathroom too. Further around the bay, in the mornings, you might find a white refrigerated truck with fresh fish just brought in that morning by the local fishermen. When the tide is out you can walk way out in the bay. The birds were fun to watch too. And a pod of bottlenose dolphins swam into our bay.
There are 3 restaurants. Danzante is high end with tapas and a full gourmet menu. The Market is where you can eat inside or outside. This is great for breakfast either from the buffet or menu. This is where the evening shows take place as well but if you sit inside you cannot hear it. But they have plenty of outside heaters if you feel cool sitting outside. The menu stays the same each day at all 3 restaurants. My favorite was Casa Mia, the outside sports bar. Beautiful setting and great salads and hot and cold sandwiches and great tacos too. They through an awesome Superbowl Party for us as well.
There are 3 free shuttles into town during the day with the last one coming home at 9pm so it's easy to go to town to explore or go grocery shopping at El Pescador, walk to the Mission and down to the Malacon. We ate at Domingo's Steak House next to the Santa Fe Hotel and at Papagayo just past the mission by the square. Both were great. The town is very clean, no stray dogs and so interesting to stroll around. Look for the peacocks.
In the lobby you will find Wild Loreto Tours for all your activities but that's a different review.
The resort also has a little disco up on the hill called Danzante for those who want some night life without being far from your own bed. They shuttle you for free up and down.
The spa is amazing, Claudine the Spa Director was very gracious. The best deal ever is the wet area, which you can use for just 8 USD a day or free with a massage. The wet area has so many amenities, I had a locker and there was a private changing area, showers, hot tub, warm tub, and a cool tub, sauna, steam, cold shower and an epsom salt soak tub and another tub for sunburn with aloe. There is plenty of seating area with a view of the beautiful desert landscape. The most peaceful relaxing place. I also had a massage and foot reflexology. I used the wet area both before and after my massage. I also soaked in the epsom salt tub after hiking to sooth away my aches and pains. I highly recommend using the wet area the first day you get there just to unwind from traveling. There are daily spa specials too.
The rooms also have a large balcony with table and chairs and two large lounges for relaxing. The kitchen has all you would need to cook in which we did for breakfast. There is also a washer dryer but you will need to iron after using it. There is a market next to the spa for the basics. There is a large jetted tub in the bedroom and TV's in both rooms. The clock radio will play your ipod too. You also have a large dining room table, couches and chairs for relaxing in your room which we did on several occasions.
It was a wonderful two weeks. We left talking about our next trip back. If you love nature, quiet, millions of stars, beautiful islands to explore, playing in the ocean, you will be happy.

Snohomish, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Loved the resort in general and its secluded location. The one bedroom unit was very large and comfortable. Loved the Sea of Cortez and mountain views from the room and the very large balcony. The bed was very comfortable, and there were two pillows to choose from. Liked the areas around the resort to hike. Loved the butterflies and hummingbirds. Enjoyed the night sky and the dimly lit solar lights that created star shaped patterns along the walkways.

Loved the spa wet area and the massage services, though the cost seemed high. The spa prices were equal to what I would pay at a high-end salon in Seattle, and much more than I have paid at other resorts in Mexico. The spa manager was especially welcoming and helpful.

Did like the free shuttle service into the town of Loreto, but would have liked the shuttle to have a different drop off time, perhaps 5:00 pm. The 6:00 pm shuttle, arriving in town about 45 minutes later, does not allow quite enough time for dinner.

The restaurants were pretty good, but very slow service, except for breakfast, which had exceptional service. Not sure why such slow service when the resort and restaurants were not very busy. We couldn’t even flag down or make eye contact with any wait staff for 30-45 minutes after we were done eating. I think there are some kinks to be worked out.

Did not like the fact that the all-inclusive did not include the “honor bar” drinks from the refrigerator, including water. While on the all-inclusive plan I could order a coke or a bottle of water from room service and only pay the automatic delivery charge, but pay 2.50 or so for the same drink from the refrigerator.

Did not like the toddlers and babies in diapers allowed in the hot tub. Would have liked the resort to enforce the no children rule in the hot tub as stated on the signs. Yes, it was too cold for them to enjoy the pool. And boo to the parents who showed bad etiquette and let their small children scream and run around the restaurant.

Did not like the volume of the nightly shows heard from our room, particularly bothersome on the nights we were not feeling well.

Did not like the fact that you could hear every conversation or noise in the adjoining room when occupied.

The weather this year, end of January, was not warm enough to try the snorkeling around the resort, swim in the sea or enjoy the pool. Will have to return when the weather is just a bit warmer.

Overall a beautiful, serene, unspoiled (so far) resort that we plan to return to.

TIPS

Don’t pre-pay for all-inclusive. Decide once you get there if it will benefit you. We were both sick on alternating days and were not able to get much benefit of the all-inclusive we already paid for. Unless you are a big eater or drinker you may do just as well ordering off the menus and pay as you go.

Be aware of the room number duplication. Some units may end in a letter, and another unit will have the same room number without the letter. Our one bedroom was 2623A, and the studio next door was 2623. Room service tried to deliver food ordered from next door to our room. And another night around the time I expected our room service to be delivered the room next door received theirs, I thought delivering to the wrong room. We were careful throughout the stay to state and write the “A” on the bills.

Ask for and review your bill the day before check out. It’s partly in Spanish and I found it difficult to review quickly. Since you must sign for every drink (even a bottle of water) or meal even when on the all inclusive plan, and with the daily automatic tips and the room service automatic tips it takes awhile to go through. And with the room number similarities you may find charges (even if only tips) that belong to the next room. There also was a tour cancellation with Wild Loreto that was not removed from our bill.

We enjoyed several outings with Wild Loreto, booked in the hotel lobby. It was very convenient to be able to speak to the folks and book your tours right from the lobby. The Wild Loreto folks were all great from the booking staff to the tour guides, BUT there was some dysfunction between the resort and Wild Loreto while we were there. I would suggest if you go on the Tabor Canyon hike you be prepared and bring your own lunch or energy bars. The day we took the tour the lunch that was to be included did not arrive and we were told was due to disagreements between the resort and Wild Loreto. Not knowing who was really “at fault” I mention it on this forum, but I don’t hold it against the resort without knowing what the disagreements entail.

The Wild Loreto tour to Coronado Island was wonderful; we saw and chased lots of dolphins. But the island is rather primitive, and while we were there the “outhouse” was unusable. Not a good thing when one suddenly comes down with a bug. If you must go behind the bushes and dig a hole beware of the pickers. The engine on the panga would not start when we were ready to leave, and I’m not sure what would have been the outcome if the only remaining boat at the island had not loaned us their battery.

While the room supposedly did not have WiFi, and no modems were available, we found we could access the WiFi service on the balcony and also in the room if the balcony door was left open.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Wow, I was traveling by motorcycle through Baja and this place was like an oasis in the desert...and on the beach. I was running a week behind and worried that my reservation had been canceled. At check-in I was greeted like an old friend, my room was ready...even upgraded, and my bags were promptly taken to my suite. Antonio, one of the hotel management staff was incredible to talk with. He was able to offer some hot tips on my travel down to La Paz the next day...thank you Antonio....

The room itself was a 1 bedroom with living room and kitchen/dining and a combo washer/dryer. This was a corner unit so my balcony wrapped around both sides and must have been at least 1000 square feet!! I definitely felt pampered.

I only had one meal and it was at the poolside Casa Mia restaurant. I had the Mexican Angus Burger with French Fries....and it was delicious.

The location was a bit further out of Loreto than I expected, about 20 minutes, but that wasn't a big deal.

If you're looking for a more low key location than Cabo San Lucas, look to the Villa Del Palmar in Loreto. It's a fun town and a top notch resort with an "All-Inclusive" option.

I wish I had more time to stay, but my schedule dictated that I catch the Ferry in La Paz the following day...but at least I got to experience one day here!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor corner unit...you won't regret it!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is a personal review and is based on our experience as former motel/resort owner/oporaters at Lake Tahoe.

This was the most relaxing and enjoyable vacation that my wife and I have ever experienced. From being greeted at the airport to the goodbyes in the lobby, this was the most personable vacation that we have ever taken. And that even includes cruises with HAL.

The staff are pleasant, courteous, gracious, attentive, helpful, friendly and the nicest that we have ever dealt with in our travels. Everyone made us feel as if we were the most important person there and their only job was to make us feel special and comfortable. If we had a question or need, they were most accomodating and helpful.

We met the Food and Beverage Manager, Josue, who was very interesting to talk to and showed great pride in making sure our stay was pleasureable. We also met the General Manager, Mr. Navarro, who took time to talk to us and to ask if there was anything that he could do to make our stay more pleasant.

The food was very good and the selections were quite varied. Other than the buffet, everything was prepared to order. No fast food here, just great food and service. The local dishes were very good and authentic, not TexMex that most people in the US are used to. The bartenders, David and Julio, were fantastic and willing to make anything we wanted if it was possible and even came up with a few of their own concoctions. Mmmm! The hostess at the Market, Ady, was a ray of sunshine each time that she greeted and seated us. Jorge, Abraham, Hazael, Gabriel, Emmanuel, Gaulberto, Edgar and the others in the resturants were great. Gerardo, a supervisor (?), was terrific and helpful. The poolside bartenders, Roberto and Luis, were always ready to take care of us. Two of the cooks, Luz and Francisco, went out of their way to make special dishes for us.

Our one bedroom was larger than we expected, and the view from our huge balcony was spectacular. The maid service provided by Maria Louise was excellent.

We decided to go with the all inclusive for our entire two week stay, and it was the best decision that we could have made. It may sound expensive, but in the long run it was a bargain. It includes things that we didn't even expect. Even though it included tips, we tipped extra as the service was fantastic.

You have to realize that this resort/hotel is quite a ways from town and most activities. It is quiet and secluded (NOT CABO). Seclusion is a good thing, as far as we were concerned. There is a consession on premises, Wild Loreto, that can arrange fishing, whale watching, boat tirps and other activities and they do a great job.

The spa 'wet area' is wonderful and relaxing and a quiet place to go if you want to be alone. The exercise room is well equiped and they even have tennis on the rooftop. The spa services are varied and enjoyable.

If you want to relax, be pampered and get away from it all, DIS IS DA PLACE!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa at The Islands of Loreto? Share your experiences!