If you are looking for a first-rate resort to relax in an isolated location, the Villa del Palmer at Loreto may be your ticket. This new resort is located on the Sea of Cortez about half-way up the Baja Peninsula. Horizon airline (part of Alaska airlines) flies a prop jet into Loreto from Los Angeles. It is then about a 40 min shuttle (prearrange with the resort, about $25 per person each way) from the airport to the resort. The resort runs a free shuttle into the town of Loreto three times a day (45 min each way).
My wife and I had a one bedroom unit that was huge – about 950 square feet. The balcony, with a nice view of the sea and the swimming pools, could have accommodated a party for 20 people. We mostly eat in our unit, and the kitchen was well stocked including Bosch appliances (full refrigerator, cooktop, microwave, dishwasher and washer/dryer). The main bedroom had a king size bed and huge Jacuzzi tub in addition to the shower. There was a second bathroom with shower off the living room for anyone using the hide-a-bed. Daily maid service was provided. There is a main pool with several smaller ones including a child’s area with geysers and a large jetted hot tub that could accommodate 20-30 adults. Being a new resort, occupancy was low, so there was no problem in getting pool lounges. There were even a couple of hammocks and two fire pits near the beach. Although there were lounges with umbrellas on the beach, these were rarely used. The beach is OK at high tide but somewhat muddy at low tide. I went snorkeling by the peninsula rocks to the right and saw quite a few fish. There is an activity desk that can arrange a rental car or a number of activities (kayaking, fishing, snorkeling, etc.). The spa was wonderful with free use of many facilities (e.g., sauna, steam room) and the gym is sufficiently equipped.
We only ate a few times in the restaurant – only one restaurant, with a reasonable menu, is currently open plus a snack shop with burgers, pizza, tacos, etc. Prices for main courses ranged around $10-$20. There was an all-inclusive option for about $89 per person per day. The mini market had soft drinks/beer/wine, chips, snacks, and eggs (bought individually – great for omelets). We took the shuttle into town to get our main groceries. The shuttle drops you off at the Santa Fe hotel, and it is a 10-15 min walk to the El Pescador market. Although the largest market in Loreto, it was limited in selection (e.g. no fish), but we found enough to get by for the week. Contrary to an earlier report, they now accept credit cards. There is a fish market close to the police station. We didn’t really explore Loreto, so I can’t comment about it. Some guests took the evening shuttle (left resort at 6 pm, returned from the Sante Fe at 9 pm) into Loreto for dinner.
This is NOT the place to come to party, but the staff are truly exceptional in making your stay enjoyable. They even put on a show/skit most evenings at the restaurant that is fun. The Villas group has big plans for this new resort – expansion of accommodations including condos, an 18 hole golf course and several more restaurants. Given its secluded location, I wouldn’t hold my breath. However, at present it is a GREAT place to bring a couple good books and relax!
- Also Known As:
- Villa Del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa At The Islands Of Loreto Hotel Loreto
- Villa Del Palmar Beach Resort And Spa At The Islands Of Loreto
- Villa Del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa At The Islands Of Loreto Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Villa Group - Loreto master plan will feature 1,800 acres of remarkable beauty, including restaurants, a Rees Jones golf course, up-scale timeshares and ownerships, and grand hotels. As with every resort created by The Villa Group, it will be a blend of elegance, a passion for service and style, and hospitality as warm as the sun-drenched skies. And views that must be experienced to be believed. Villa Del Palmar at The Islands of Loreto is now open! with a total of 191 Deluxe Suites. Each of the one—two and three bedroom suites features stylish contemporary décor. Suites for a romantic getaway, family seeking the ultimate in comfort and style also group business trip or corporate event. Deluxe Studio and penthouse suites are also available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, MexVax, Tingo, Expedia, HotelsClick, Orbitz and Priceline so you can book your Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa at The Islands of Loreto reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.