“Don't even think about it” 1 of 5 stars

Desert Inn at Loreto
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Francisco I. Madero, Loreto 23880, Mexico   |
Ranked #20 of 21 hotels in Loreto
Dublin, Ireland
“Don't even think about it”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This place is just a nightmare. Nobody cares.
There is no hot water, no TV reception, no internet, the AC unit is terribly loud, the bathroom smells...
And on top of that when we were there other guests were having a party in the car park, just outside our room. Loud music until 4 am, beer cans everywhere, and they even threw a can of beer at our door because we asked the night porter to ask them to stop!
We moved to the Motel El Dorado - what a difference! Good service, clean rooms, quiet. They restored our faith in humanity!
And Mike's bar around the corner and the Palapa restaurant were great too.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else - this place is terrible!

68 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Bellingham, Washington, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel three different times before this time, always, with friends who had dogs. I kept giving it the benefit of the doubt. We heard it had recently sold and was in transition. Well just forget it!

Now, they are no longer pet friendly. Upon our arrival they informed us, in a very direct way, that our labrodoodle was not allowed into the room. OK, we are now checked in, so the dog slept in the car.

The owners have no pride or interest in customer satisfaction and the staff has begun to cop an attitude. Worn out but clean room, not one amenity. No ice bucket, no TV reception, WI FI doesn't work. We went to the front desk and inquired how late the dining room was open. We were told 9:00 PM.

When we went to the dining room at 8:15 for dinner. The room was bare, in fact the entire place felt deserted. Spooky!

The dining room was empty so no problem finding a table. Our voices echoed! Our little waitress came to the table with an embarrassed smile. We asked "May we see a menu?" "There is no menu. On our menu tonight, we offer beef hamburgers, chicken breast and fish tacos." she said. OK, that kept it simple.

My husband had the chicken. I had the fish tacos. The chicken was $11.00. It was an $8.00 meal. My tacos would be $3.50, tops, at a taco stand and taste better. Pathetic! We tipped the waitress well for enduring this embarrassing experience.

Back to our room. The bed was hard as a rock. There was no hot water. The sheets were rough and worn as were the towels. I can't even describe how nasty the pillows were.

The only reason we have gone to this place was the pet friendly policy. Now that it no longer exists we will never return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Valley Center
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

A friend and I stayed here last week. Used to be the La Pinta, just N of the end of the malecon and a block off the beach. Good location but the hotel appeared to have been closed down for at least a year, maybe before reopening as a Desert Inn. So the grounds had been neglected, no wifi, limited restaurant service (but there was a bat flying around in the dining room). The folks who where there were friendly and helpful, but they appear just now to be trying to clean up and restore the grounds. No cars should have been a clue, only one other room appeared to be occupied. The room was nice, but I'd avoid this one for a few months while the current management gets the place back into shape.

elk river idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Where to begin? No air conditioning no TV, pool like ice, bar tender never there, no coffee until 8 am, no wifi EVER. Ask the manager when anything will work, standard answer "one hour." And really watch the weird step into the bathroom. Just odd.

Room Tip: While you are in Loreto eat at La Palyapa! fantastic food
British Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed at the hotel with a tour group and was told the hotel was nice five years ago. But now it is worn and not appealing. Neither the rooms nor the grounds are being very well maintained. The bathroom window slats didn't close properly which might explain all the dirt on the toilet which I had to clean before using it. The bed spread was ripped and there were two dreary wall lamps which provided dim light in the room. The bed was not particularly comfortable. Fortunately the group only stayed one night, and even at that I spent as little time as possible in the room it was so dreary. The Internet service worked for a while in the lobby but then went down and the staff couldn't get it working again.

Presumably one can find better accommodations in the area.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Ciudad de México, Distrito Federal, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Pros:
Gorgeous grounds, pool and beach
Huge rooms
Good value for money if you don't book online
Very clean
Very helpful receptionist

Cons:
We booked online through despegar.com and ended up paying twice the room's worth which is unacceptable
It is a 20 min walk into town which is not doable for everyone
The flourescent lighting in the room is not particularly agreeable
Only 4 TV channels

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Brussels, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I stayed at Desert Inn as part of a fishing trip to Loreto in August.

The accommodation was basic but clean and adequate. Comfortable beds, clean bathroom. Tired and slightly tatty furniture. A nice balcony overlooking beach and sea, and cool to be picked up on the beach every morning to go fishing. But the lock on the french windows onto the balcony was broken so the room could not be secured. TV worked, but reception was very poor. Wifi in principle available, but I could never get it to connect on my iPad. Other facilities that you'd expect in a hotel in Mexico were missing - no kettle or drinks making facilities, no fridge, no drinking water available in the room. So basic, acceptable, but only barely adequte, accommodation.

What made the stay terrible was the service. I arrived with a room reserved and prepaid. I was told sorry we have no rooms available tonight, we are full (some local fishing competition), you'll have to find somewhere else to stay. No offer of help to find alternative accommodation. Could I then have a full refund for all the prepaid nights - no, only for tonight, we have rooms free later in the week and you can come back. So I found somewhere else (much better), but returned to Desert Inn. Three days later I came back after fishing to find no water in the bathroom. The receptionist said it will be back on at 3pm, so I had a siesta. At 4pm still no water. A different receptionist said it will be back on at 5; I replied why have you just said 6 to the couple in front of me who've also been complaining. Response, it might be 5, it might be 6 or manana. Do you know what the problem is; no. I moved hotel. Basic mesage I got from the staff was of no concept of customer service, no energy in resolving problems or concern for guest well being.

There are far better places to stay in Loreto.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Desert Inn at Loreto? Share your experiences!