“Desk staff unresponsive and unfriendly” 2 of 5 stars

La Concha Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Carretera a Pichilingue km 5, La Paz 23010, Mexico   |
Ranked #18 of 38 Hotels in La Paz
Palmdale, California
“Desk staff unresponsive and unfriendly”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

We have been going to La Paz each year for 7 years. We are very familiar with the area. Previously we stayed at Las Gaviotas Hotel in town just above the Malecon. We were always pleased with the hotel until RCI disafilliated with it as a timeshare. The only option closest to town was La Concha for our timeshare choice. On one positive note the room was spacious. We were told we would have one bedroom and a sofa bed. There was one bedroom, but no sofa bed. I was so glad we did not invite another couple to join us. That would have been a disaster. The kitchen/condo was not well stocked. I had to ask for bowls, knives, a new blender (to replace the broken one), a blow dryer, an ironing board and a microwave oven. The remaining dishes and pans were old, worn or dented. The location of the hotel is beautiful in that it has a private beach with nice landscaping and a very nice pool (that is now working). Our biggest complaint was the noise. The hotel books weddings on Saturdays. Be prepared to forego a good night's rest. The wedding started on the beach in the afternoon. The DJ started playing music softly, but as it got later the music was turned up so loud you could hear it in the room with the doors and windows closed. I made a call to the lobby who said the music would be over by 12 (midnight)... The next morning I complained politely to the person at the desk who told me that there would not be another event until the next Saturday. No apology. No excuse. That's just the way it is. Unfortunately, the following Friday there was a party in the parking lot just across a small street from the hotel. Trucks, cars, drunkeneness and music blaring until 4 in the morning. I had read about this in another post. I guess this is a regular occurence. So be prepared. We did enjoy our stay there in spite of the unresponsive attitude of the staff...in fact they were just short of rude. The only people who were kind and anxious to please were the maids. Even the waiters at the bar were iffy. I felt like they were doing us a favor to wait on us. Also, I did notice that the hotel rooms were being renovated. I got to walk inside one. Yes, the rooms are small, but they have new beds, new flatscreen TV's and renovated bathrooms with beautiful tile. So, you might enjoy the location, and might have to ignore the atypical inhospitality of the Mexican staff there, but I think you would still have a good time. Just don't expect a five star resort because it isn't. I wouldn't even have minded if the manager and his staff had been nicer. We had one breakfast there...the weekend buffet was very good and reasonable. We had meals by the pool which were just OK and overpriced.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
TIjuana, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

My husband & I came here for our tenth wedding anniversary. I had booked online through a popular secondary website where it was advertised as a King size bed with breakfast for 33% off "pre temporada" sale. I called ahead & requested a few things. #1- a non-smoking room due to hubby's allergies. #2- to be in the new part of the hotel (read this on others reviews) & #3- since it was our anniversary, I wanted to have some wine in the room ready when we arrived. The sales lady, told me about a pkg for $500 pesos, she could have flowers, candles, wine, and snacks ready in the room. Ok great! Deal!

We arrive. First room is NOT a king size bed at all, and even tho it says non smoking outside, it reeks of smoke. There were not flowers in the room but old bent & browned pink, white, & blue rose petals all over the room & on the not king size bed in the shape of a heart with our initials. (I'll put up a pic). Cute. Ok. But NOT what we expected, and like I mentioned the petals were old, browned & bent. The wine wasn't there, nor the snacks, the candles were there but no lighter. The room reeked of smoke & was tiny so we called Salli, the coordinator of all this. She came quickly & showed us another room that smelled better but was still tiny. I asked her where the rooms from the brochure are or the ones from the website? My reservation was supposed to be a king bed, not a double. She took us then to a third room, that looked like one in the brochure, the simplistic one on there, not the pretty ones advertised. But it smelled better, and the bed was queen, so we took it. In general it seemed she wanted to do well, but it was a big disappointment in what was advertised/promised vs what we got. The pool was nasty the whole time dirty cups floating in it & leaves. The jacuzzi was empty & no signs of it coming to life soon (see pic). The towels & linens were very worn & sparse. No washcloths at all. The best thing I think was the breakfast & coffee on the patio by the pool in the AM's. The waiters were nice & the huevos rancheros were yummy. But even the fruit plate, if you choose it, doesn't look like the picture. Someone in marketing for this hotel has done a good job at making it look MUCH BETTER online than in person. Fortunately a man on the plane suggested we rent a car & we did. Thanks to that we were able to get away from the hotel & explore beaches with freedom. For us, it was a place to sleep, shower, & have breakfast. Nothing more. For what we got, we should've paid a lot less. We loved the beaches, tours, & food in LaPaz, but next time we will either pay less somewhere else for about what we got here or we will pay a lot more for a newer nicer cleaner place.

• Stayed June 2012
Indianapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

This hotel is nicely located, a bit out of town, with a nice pool and beach.

We paid 85 euros per night. The room was small, so was the shower, and it looked a bit old. Dodgy TV, sink out of the bathroom, not worth 85 bucks.

But the real issue came up during the night where sound insolation is terrible. People passing through the corridors, drunk people knocking at doors and shouting (not being filtered by the staff), staff working in the morning, doors slamming. Just very unpleasant. We didn't sleep so well and in the end didn't stay the second night.

It's a decent hotel in low season, with less people and hopefully lower prices. Avoid it in peek season.

Room Tip: We were in 228, very noisy.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a week before a planned move to Hacienda Paraiso. We had a large apartment sized time share unit on the second floor. Two bathrooms, two balconies. I had to ask for a microwave and they brought one up. The best things about the place were the beach front location, the friendly staff, the restaurant, the lovely three mile walk from town along the malecon. The least positives were the complete lack of any resort type activities, such as spanish lessons, beach volleyball, etc. A staff member told me they don't have the staff for those activities. We also experienced the loud partying across the street in the paking lot. Also, connecting with the internet in our room was spotty and the phones were not good. The hot tub wasn't working the whole time. This could be such a nice place, being on the water and all. I think the owner is using it as a tax write-off while he focuses on his condo project next door. We had a decent time there because we are flexible. I would highly recomment Hacienda Pariaso in La Paz. The owners, who built this home-away-from-home, are on site, involved and go the extra mile to ensure you get the most out of your vacation. Check it ou!

Room Tip: I believe they all have ocean views. Get one away from the pool in case anyone happens to be at La...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Grass Valley, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

The pool was out of order the entire time we were there. We understand things can go wrong so we made the best of it. Other problems were jack hammering all day in the room next to us, partying in the lot across the parking lot ALL NIGHT on weekend nights. This included lots of cars/trucks and very loud music from each!! We asked at the front desk and they said that the call the police but they do nothing. Couldn't sleep all night!
The restuarant was very good. Had wonderful helpful and friendly staff. The cost of a drink on the beach was high (about $10 US). Tasted great but too high, especially with no pool and jack hammering in the background!
Resort is clean but old. In the process of remodeling. Has potential, but not there yet.
We love La Paz, but LaConcha, not so much.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

We had a good experience here, but it's not quite a four. I'd give this hotel at 3.75 if I could.

The good:
The staff is really nice. There's a friendly bar by the pool, which overlooks the ocean. A nice way to wind down from the day. And I really liked the restaurant, plentiful food and tasty.

The bad:
Our room was a bit in disrepair. The bathroom, while clean, was tiny. Overall, the property feels like its aging. And the layout isn't the most convenient. We had heavy dive bags with us and we had to walk in the main lobby and then up stairs and down halls quite a bit. They could use a second entrance for some rooms.

The location is on the outskirts of town, which suited us fine, because we were there to go diving at Club Cantamar. So this hotel was half way between town and the dive location. To get into town, it's easy to get a cab at the front of the hotel. And we didn't have trouble getting a cab back to the hotel from town.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Tianjin, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

The staff in general was very friendly, but I had an experience there that left me in tears. I asked a man who was greeting people at the door where the towels were for the pool (because there was a sign at the front desk that said pool towels could only be checked out until 6 pm and it was 5 p.m.). My mistake was asking in Spanish, (at least I tried), and I mispronounced toalla by saying the "l" sound. The man made fun of me and persisted in making me repeat it correctly, amusing himself the whole time as he took me to the overly busy front desk to get a towel. Yes, I had had a long travel day, I just wanted a towel, and he humiliated me. I went out to the car in tears, and then made my husband depressed. Thsi concierge or whatever he was has not been trained in proper customer service.
My other depressing incident happened when my husband and I ordered margaritas with our fish tacos. The fish tacos (very good) cost 109 pesos and the margaritas (which admittedly were huge) cost 120 or 140 pesos each. The prices for alcholic drinks on the menu had been crossed off- as if they had recently been raised. However, i live in Mexico, get paid in pesos, and have never paid $10 dollars for a drink before. The waiter couldn't wait for his tip.
I wouldn't go back. Everytime I went near the lobbies, there were salesmen trying to sell timeshares to poor looking Americans. Very sad.
The included breakfast was a good value. I booked through expedia and paid about $75 US.

Room Tip: My room was fine- on the 3rd floor. The wifi was sporadic. If that is important to you, I would reco...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to La Concha Beach Resort? Share your experiences!