“Website didn't match our stay.....” 1 of 5 stars

Club Hotel Cantamar
1665-2 Obregon Street, La Paz 23000, Mexico   |
Ranked #25 of 37 Hotels in La Paz
boise
“Website didn't match our stay.....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2006

We just returned from a week at Club Cantamar - very disappointed! We didn't realize that the hotel was across from a busy ferry terminal with old broken down trucks....plus a sewage treatment plant right next to our building. The first night we arrived the front desk help was incredibly rude and told us that the smell in our room (sewage) would go away in a couple of days and the phones to call long distance didn't work. Cable TV worked one night then they told us that they didn't have it? Most of the staff was fairly nice but with the exception of a few key people - they appeared to be irritated that we asked to have things fixed. The food was ok and wait staff friendly. Overall the staff didn't appear to be interested in helping to resolve our issues in a timely manner and gladly charged us for the night we had to leave early due to weather.

Stayed September 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2006

Stayed for a few days at Cantamar, mostly for the outdoor activities. I thought it would be simpler and quieter than staying in La Paz and commuting. The one thing anyone planning to stay at this hotel should know is that it is across the street from the busy ferry terminal; apart from this being an eyesore, there is a fair bit of truck traffic and associated noise going on - in some cases through the night. So be warned, you are not in a pristine, 'getting away from civilization' place. The noise was not horrible, but it was definitely there. The other problem associated with that is that there weren't much possibilities for taking peaceful walks around the area, unless you like walking along 18-wheelers; there just isn't much to do or see in walking distance of the hotel.
The room itself was all right, the bed a bit hard but that was fine with me. Hot water was provided by a small heater in the room, which meant that hot showers lasted between 3 and 4 minutes, after that it was cold. The room was not quite soundproof, I could hear everything going on upstairs, so if you can get the topmost room that would be better. Restaurant was OK. Staff overall relatively friendly, apart from the dive crew who were aloof, not helpful, and did not appear to like their job very much. I rented my scuba gear - the regulator was leaky (a common problem in rentals), but more seriously they gave me a 3mm wet suit, even though they knew full well that the water temp was 20C and required a thicker suit (even the dive master had a 6 mm suit with hood and gloves). So I was freezing for my two dives and decided to skip the 3rd, it just wasn't worth it. On top of that, another diver told me that they had done the same thing to him the day before... One more thing: they advertise their "whale shark spotting plane" on the website, and in my e-mail correspondance the staff told me that it was commonly done, that just a few days prior they had taken the plane out and seen 3 whale sharks. But when I got there, it seemed there was no longer any possibility of that, for reasons not made very clear. I also took the kayak "day trip", which basically amounted to going on the dive boat along with the divers, and getting on the kayak at the dive sites for about an hour while the divers were underwater, then going back up on the boat.

• Stayed March 2006

Been to Club Hotel Cantamar? Share your experiences!