“Diving with Club Cantamar - A++” 5 of 5 stars

You added Club Hotel Cantamar to your Saves list
Club Hotel Cantamar
1665-2 Obregon Street, La Paz 23000, Mexico   |
Ranked #22 of 36 hotels in La Paz
“Diving with Club Cantamar - A++”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

This trip was really amazing. I stayed at Club Cantamar (CC) from 6 Oct - 16 Oct 2013. I was traveling solo primarily to use up expiring vacation days from work and I couldn't have made a better choice than to stay and dive at CC.

Many people say that CC is too far from Centro La Paz but I found a shuttle from the hotel to town whenever I wanted it. This was a dive trip and I certainly did dive. The in house dive op is Baja Dive and Service (BDS) and it is run very well by the entire staff. Friendly people run BDS and the divemasters are very good divers - especially Maria who basically took her own time to be my dive buddy since I was, as said above, traveling alone. I very much enjoy diving alone but it was such a pleasure to have such a fundamentally skilled and natural diver to pair up with. Made so much difference!

Crystal clear water and 82F with no thermocline - heaven for this Southern California native diver.

The food and service at the CC was outstanding with the dive boat arriving back at the hotel around 5PM each day - shuttle to town leaves around 6:30 or 7PM if you'd like to go into town for a nice meal and they'll pick you back up at 10PM to return - or you can stay the night in town and they'll pick you up in the morning to get back to the hotel and get ready to go out on the boat dive at 8:30AM sharp.

I appreciate that the CC is out of town which make it closer to the dive sites we went to.

I have zero complaints. I hope I made some lifelong friends among the staff and with BDS - I will return very soon and often. It's only a few hours from Los Angeles, CA - so long weekends at CC and BDS are definately in my future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

78 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

A place to sleep at night. The rooms were okay and moderately clean although several people had problems with broken air and no water ours was okay (after trading rooms with another member of our group). Very disorganized and no effort to improve. We chose this hotel due to its location and because they have nitrox. Oh wait there nitrox system doesn't work. A member of our group looked at it and determined there were multiple problems including being EXTREMELY low on oil and the filter was very overdue for a change. Our group did more maintenance while we were they than they did.
Free wifi is not in the rooms only in the office leaving us standing outside while mobbed by flies when they were closed. They have a router in the resturant area but it did not work and never made an effort to fix it.
The food was okay but we started calling it dinner roulette. You order what you want and they brought you what they felt like serving you. When you wait over an hour for your food you don't want to wait another hour to try and get what you ordered. One person sent back her order because it was wrong they chopped up the breaded chicken and put it in the next persons tacos and called it special tacos. The flies were unbelievable!!!! Inside, outside, the bar everywhere and so bad we tried a few things that seemed to help. Not leaving food out and cleaning better would do a world of good. I don't recommend a stay unless you just want to dive there is nothing in the area except a few restaurants.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Bakersfield
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We did not stay at this hotel, but had booked a trip with the dive shop. We reconfirmed our trip the evening before, was told that they would pick us up in our hotel lobby at 7:30 a.m.
They never showed up, wouldn't answer their phone. Our hotel front desk person finally got them on the phone and all they said was that they had room for us the next day!! With that type of business practices it was NO WAY!! Not to mention that we were leaving in the morning. We had driven over from Cabo just to go diving and are extremely disappointed with this lousy service!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kansas City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is located about 20 minutes outside of La Paz. I traveled with a group of 33 divers to the hotel. I was originally given a king room even though I was staying with my daughter. They were not going to change me to two doubles, but finally agreed. They gave my room to another father traveling with his daughter. Fortunately they arranged a switch with a single traveler who was given a double room.

The rooms are okay. They were clean, but nothing special. The ac did not work, but they came after a while to fix it. Because we arrived late we decided to eat at the hotel restaurant. A mistake. We waited for over an hour to receive our food. Guest who ordered before us got there food first. Part of the order was wrong, but there was no fixing the issue. Our restaurant experience for much of the group was te same. The food was not bad, just bad slow service. Many times the order were wrong and they did nothing to fix the problem.

Some of our group didn't always have water in there room several nights and there was always an excuse.

There is no Internet in the room only the lobby, which is open from 730 -1030 pm. If you want Internet you are stuck standing outside if outside of those hours.

The group organizer tried to talk with the owner about problems but he would not return calls.

I wouldn't stay here again and couldn't recommend anyone to stay here either.

If you don't fish or scuba there is not much else to do in la Paz.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Rochester NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I'm presently sitting on the balcony of my room at Hotel Club Cantamar and taking a panoramic view. Here's the thing: It's kinda sparse. I'm surrounded by desert hills and a sheltered inlet, and across the street is the terminal that processes three ferries per day moving food and other materiel to the folks that live and work here. But here's the thing: My experience so far has demonstrated Hotel Club Cantamar to be a jewel in the midst of all of it.

I'll preface this by saying if you're looking for the perfect resort hotel where nothing ever goes wrong, you might find this isn't your place. But me? Wow... I LOVE IT HERE!

I believe any review needs to talk about the hotel and the dive operation separately, so that's what I'll do.

I'm here with a group of 32. We pulled in and honestly, my 1st thought was "Hmmm... what have we gotten ourselves into?" However, check-in was fast and efficient, the room was close by and for my purposes (someplace to sleep after a day of diving) just what we wanted. For anyone who's checked the facility website, a 220v to 110v converter is no longer necessary. Our room has several outlets that accept the same plug I use in the US. The little "stick the card into the power box" hootie takes a little getting used to, but if your power doesn't come right on when you get to your room, it's probably because housekeeping turned off the breakers in the box right behind your door. Problem solved. If you're here on a dive trip, you'll find that the housekeeping folks will remove your card each morning while you're on the boat, which turns off the room air conditioner. Deal breaker? Not really. The room is well taken care of every day. About the only thing that makes me scratch my head is how the little bars of soap are replaced daily even if I'm here for a week. If you're unpacking and say to yourself "there's not enough space for all my stuff", if you look at your bed frame I believe you'll find 4 extra drawers. The pool is clean and the restaurant has yet to bring me a meal I didn't love. I highly recommend the chicken mole or the stuffed chicken breast! Great meals! The breakfast buffet features eggs, bacon, potatoes, beans, pancakes & french toast and there's also a breakfast eggs to order station. Don't see sausage? Just ask... they keep the chorizo in back. I haven't done lunch at the restaurant this week, but the the hamburguesa con queso y papas (cheeseburger w/ fries) has been a delicious meal in the evening.

Internet is available in the main office or from your balcony if you have line of site. The main dining room internet (as of this morning) has limited connectivity. But you're on vacation. Put the electronic device away. This really is a great opportunity to get away from it all. Don't waste it.

While my first glance impression was "the place is a little run down", I quickly came to see the place as charming and it's met my every need.

OK... on to the dive operation. It's my personal belief that any dive op that can take a group of 32 divers there for a week and keep them happy is doing things right. Edgar and Antonio (our in-water staff) and Rosario (our Captain) have been tremendous. I can't say enough about them. The dives so far have given us the opportunity to observe and interact with sea lions, dive (so far) two shipwrecks, experience some beautiful reefs full of all kinds of fish, corals, and invertibrates, and spend a morning on the surface where we saw a manta ray and four whale sharks. And we were followed home at the end of one day by dolphins. They've been able to troubleshoot any sudden equipment snafu that's popped up and have demonstrated themselves to be committed stewards to the Sea of Cortez, who also don't mind answering any question one might have about the region or helping a customer develop their conversational spanish. And they do it all with smiles that just don't ever go away. The Nitrox compressor has been down while we're here, but air has been plentiful and our group has been doing 3-tank dives all week with a tasty lunch aboard the boat after the 2nd dive. There's nothing Edgar and his staff aren't willing to do to make sure you enjoy the diving part of your trip. I'm very happy so far with every aspect of the dive operation. We got closed out today when the harbormaster closed everything because Tropical Storm Manuel was coming up from the south. That's not Edgar's fault.

So, final word: I will return and so will several of the folks I'm here with. I highly recommend you give these folks a try!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Burr Ridge, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Just returned from the Sea of Cortez from a fantastic fishing trip. I had a choice of Hotels offered but chose to stay at the Club Cantamar which was located right next to the Marina where the fishing boats left every morning. My room was clean and attended to everyday by maids and (important) cool since the temp reached 102 everyday of my stay. Shower worked great and not much to do in the surrounding area...but after fishing all day...I looked forward to a shower and a good nights sleep on cool Sheets.
I am going to return In the spring.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

First of all I would like to compliment the guy who sold us this trip. We had tried booking on line the excursion to Isla Ispiritu Santos and we couldn't get a tour company to pick us up from Los Cabos as we were only a group of 3 people and they required 4 people. So we decided to rent a car and make the drive out to La Paz ourselves which is about 3 hrs. We stopped at one excursion place but their trip just didn't sound that great. So we went to Baja Diving and there we met the fine fellow who ended up booking our trip. He only charged our 8 year old son 1/2 price and not only that he arranged for us to stay at the Club Hotel Cantamar. He said that normally they charge for an extra person, but waved that extra cost and he said breakfast was complimentary. When we got to the Hotel we were at first discouraged. It was by the ferry dock and it did smell of fuel in our room. Then we were told we were the only ones booked at the hotel, which meant we had the beach to ourselves and then suddenly the place looked great to us. We sat on the beach and watch the fish jump and the sunset was incredible. it was cool that we were the only ones there. The fuel smell in the room eventually faded away, as we had the windows open and the night air felt good. The next day before our excursion we had our complimentary breakfast and it was delicious. Then our fabulous guide arrived and took us out to Isla Ispiritu Santos and we swam with the seals and then he took us to an amazing beach and the water was gorgeous! The water was a tropical blue but it was also so clear that you could see the beautiful fish without having to snorkel. Also the guide lost his sunglasses when he dropped us off at the beach, and when he came back to pick us up he dove in the water and found them no problem because the water was so clear! He was a terrific guide! We had an amazing time and we thank you guys very much!!! My only negative was that our beach time was only an hour :( That sucked! We would have loved to stay longer! We found a skull and bones on the beach and a large tooth. Not sure what the animal was?? Found beautiful shells.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Club Hotel Cantamar? Share your experiences!