“Fishermens Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Marina

You added Hotel Marina to your Saves list
Hotel Marina
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera a Pichilingue km 2.5 | Fracc. Lomas de Palmira, La Paz 23010, Mexico   |
Ranked #20 of 38 Hotels in La Paz
La Paz, Mexico
“Fishermens Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Marina while on a fishing trip. The rooms are clean and well kept. The air conditioners work very well.The grounds are clean and beautiful, Cages of birds,lush landscapes. The restaurant "Dingy Dock" has the best breakfast buffet I have ever had on many trips to La Paz. The staff at 6:30 in the morning is very attentive.The hotel Marina is a great place for the entire family. If the wife doesn't fish there is a Spa attached to the Hotel. You can walk to many locations from the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
MARINARESERVA, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Marina, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments, we truly appreciate.

Its good to hear you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and we are looking forward to hosting you back soon!

Best Regards!
J.Fox^

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Oakland CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Marina as part of a package deal with Baja Pirates of La Paz, our fishing trip outfitter of choice. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the grounds are beautiful with lots of gorgeous tress, shrubs and plants.

They open the restaurant early to accommodate the fishermen, it's nice to have an omelette and whatever else you'd like for breakfast before a day on the water.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My wife and I reserved a room for 4 days at the Hotel Marina in La Paz, Mexico. Before we reserved online my wife (who is a native Spanish speaker) called the hotel. She explained she was going to make a reservation online for the hotel, but wanted to know if they had a reliable and dependable internet connection because she and her husband (I) have internet companies and need to keep working while away from home. The girl who answered said "Oh, yes it works great and is very dependable, don't worry."

Within 1 hour we arrived at the hotel having booked online from elsewhere in La Paz. My wife said, "I have a reservation" and gave her full name." When we got to the hotel we mentioned we talked to the girl by phone at the front desk and confirmed they have a good and dependable internet service. "Oh, yeah the girl said you talked to me."

We had to fill out a long and unnecessary registration papers after arriving at the hotel. Why don't they have this information from my reservation? They asked to see a major credit card like always when checking in. OK, I assumed they know what they're doing and this is their process.

Strangely at many places in Mexico where the labor is so cheap they often have 2-3 people to do what is normally one job in first world countries. So we had 3 women working on checking us in. SInce only one was necessary to operate the computer the other 2 sat there looking at us.

Then they spent over 30 minutes trying to charge our card to no avail. They said "Your card isn't working, can you pay in cash?" I knew there wasn't any problem with the credit card. In fact, I called my credit card company 2 days earlier and informed them I was going to be in Mexico to avoid such security blocks. After being persistent the 3 women at the front desk admitted there credit card communications are down that's why they asked if I could pay in cash.

This went on for another 10 minutes. Finally, I asked, "If I booked, reserved and paid online with a credit card, I'm charged regardless of whether I show up at the hotel or not, don't I?" My credit card number is already in the system with the reservation. You have no risk of not getting paid."

OOOHH, all 3 ladies said. We didn't know you made a reservation online. Duuuh.

My wife who is a native Spanish speaker first explained on the phone she was making an online reservation. Second that was the very first thing she said when she spoke to the people at the front desk on checking in.

How is it it takes 3 people to do one job, but all three are so incompetent they can't properly check on someone in. It's like they're in such a daze and not listening half the time. Or since there are three to one job they assume one of the others are listening for them when none hear "I have a reservation." -Twilight zone.

Over 45 minutes of frustration trying to check in at the Hotel Marina because their credit card communications are down and didn't listen we clearly said we have a reservation. Talk about incompetence.

To make a long story short, in 30 seconds they checked their computer and fax machine and saw that indeed we had booked and paid online like we clearly told them 45 minutes earlier! So withing 2-3 minutes we got our keys and were able to leave standing at the front desk dealing with their credit card machine's problems!

Within 9 hours their internet service goes down. At 7:30am I call the front desk and tell them there is no internet. They tell me they know and are working on it. A technical will have it fixed in 30-60 minutes. I call again 3 hours later and they tell me the same thing, "a technical is working on it."

What? They have there own server at the hotel? Sounds fishy, not true.

By 4:00pm I go to the front desk and ask about the internet problem. They said "A technical is working on it." I said, you told me at 7:30am and several times this afternoon the same thing. So for the last 7 hours a technician is working on it? "Oh, no" they admitted their little white lies. The technical just got here about 45 minutes ago. We can move you to the first floor. The internet works there. Oh, thanks, why didn't you move me when I explained I need to connect to communicate with my company and internet business? I waited the whole day for nothing and there was already a simple solution available: Move to the first floor that does have internet!

Totally backwards.

Nice enough hotel. You mostly pay for the nice view of the sea and marina not because the hotel is anything special and has elements of a lower end hotel.

Other interactions with staff consisted of the maid knocking at my door about 102 hours after I checked in. I said, "uno momento" very loud so she could hear me and wait a minute until I got dressed and could properly answer the door. She keeps knocking fiercely on the door and calling. Finally, after 45 seconds I'm dressed and answer the door. "What? I asked (in fluent Spanish) do you want?" The maid says, "Oh I'll come back later." What? I asked again, "What do you want?" The maid responds, "Oh I'm just checking rooms." I said in fluent Spanish, "I just checked in, why are you knocking on my door over and over again, I said just a minute, why do you keep calling and knocking and not want anything?" She says, "I'm sorry and walks away." - It a very annoying way to invent work and try to get a tip or whatever she was up to.

The restaurant in the hotel is good enough and convenient because the other restaurants in town are a 10 minute cab ride into town.

Mistakes happen and nobody is perfect. I don't expect everything to go perfect, but somethings like the little white lies and total incompetence go too far.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Altanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Located in the harbor, it is a bit away from the other tourist locations but good for boaters and those going off on tours. Restaurant is very average, but nice outside location on the marina.

Very nice to return to after a week of kayaking.

• Stayed March 2013
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed here for two nights before my camping/kayaking trip to Espiritu Santo with Baja Outdoor Activities. I also needed a hotel on my last night in La Paz upon returning from Espiritu Santo, but I waited to book that night until I had a chance to see what the Hotel Marina was like on the front end. Suffice to say, it was good enough that I booked the last night there too even though I thought before arriving in La Paz that I'd want to stay at another place even closer to BOA. The Marina was cheaper than just about anything else. I booked the first two nights through some travel website and it was $75 per night, excluding the breakfast buffet. Better to book directly through the hotel though, as I did for my last night, and the breakfast buffet was included for the same rate. The room was about what I expected and hoped for. It was clean, with no bugs crawling around or anything gross in the bathroom, and that's all that really mattered to me. There was also a pool area that I pretty much had to myself on the day before my trip with BOA. The breakfast buffet offered pretty much something for everyone for only $10--fresh fruit, omelettes, pancakes, cereal, chicken and beef dishes, fruit juices, and coffee. All good. Only bummer was a huge party with music cranking at a club right next door to the hotel on a Saturday night, but I was told that was not typical and it was for some special reserved party. Still bring your ear plugs or inquire about this before you book if. The two other nights were pretty quiet. Also, two computers with free internet in the lobby were a nice bonus!

Room Tip: I think all the rooms numbered from around 14 and up (114-121, 214-221, 314-321, etc) faced south to...
Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Taos, NM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Stayed here because I had to meet someone here in the morning but was pleasantly surprised. Got a garden/pool view room with sea view in the background. Very nice. Clean, a bit basic. The garden is lovely and peaceful. One of the main benefits was the quiet here, located just a couple km from the main downtown seaside area. No cars, roosters or dogs. There was a wedding party but it ended at a reasonable hour. Also, a lot of noise carry through from someone walking in heels in the room above (I guess concrete carries sound like that). Otherwise didn't hear a soul. Nice breakfast included. And a nice walking area around the marina. Secure parking. Attentive staff. 950 pesos promo rate.

Room Tip: The sea view with garden/ pool view were nice. Get as high a floor as possible.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Nanaimo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We were looking for another hotel and stopped here to find directions. As it turned out, we were to tire to keep looking and stayed. For the price, it was very nice. Had a great view, included the best breakfast and the staff were so helpful. West Jet had delayed a flight and I was in a panic. The staff went out of their way to try and make phone calls to see what my flight status was.

Great location, as I like to walk, especially at night. Nice walk to the downtown area, but far enough away to be quiet. They also booked the best part of our trip, to Espiritu Santos.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Marina? Share your experiences!