“Fun Baja Camping Safari- Excellent Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fun Baja Whale Watching

Fun Baja Whale Watching
Carretera federal La Paz-Pichilingue Km 6.1. Local 61, Marina Costa Baja, La Paz 23019, Mexico
01152 (612)10 67148
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 41 Activities in La Paz
Arlington, Virginia
5 attraction reviews
“Fun Baja Camping Safari- Excellent Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We went on the 2-night camping safari on Isla Partida / Espiritu Santo with Fun Baja and had an incredible time. The stretch of beach we stayed on, Ensenada Grande, is a protected cove with calm turquoise water. I walked out about a hundred yards and the water was still only waist deep with no currents or undertows to worry about. The beach where we camped was surrounded by mountains making you feel like you are nestled in a pocket on the island. If you are skiddish about camping, this would be the best way to break you in. Their safari style tents were spacious and came equipped with cots, sheets, pillows, and towels for two. Pump toilets and showers were also available. I have to say it was the nicest camping I've ever done and waking up looking out at the sea just outside of the tent was phenomenal.

With only a few people there during our stay, our guide, Chabelo, set up personalized activities around the things we liked to do and told us all about the area's ecosystem. We snorkelled with sea lions on our boat ride out of the La Paz, hiked to the other side of the island viewing the sea from the top of a cliff, paddle boarded in the cove, and kayaked around mangroves and other deserted beaches. It was nice that they allow you the flexibility to customize activities or just lounge around on the beach if you want to relax. The cook, Cocoa, was amazing and made us breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day. His talent made for some of the best meals we had from La Paz to Cabo. One day they caught some squid off the coast and made us the freshest calamari we have ever had. Fresh fish and stuffed peppers and rice were delicious.

We highly recommend this trip if you are looking for an experience outside of the typical touristy excursions with a professional and fun outfitter.

Visited May 2013

Rio
8 attraction reviews
“Fun Baja? Can't argue with that.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I booked two full days of diving with Fun Baja and was impressed from start to finish. I usually find at least one thing that I'd like to see done better by a dive outfit but my experience with Fun Baja was pretty much flawless.

The staff were friendly and professional, the boats were well equipped, the hire gear was good quality and the whole outfit was smoothly run. All this for a reasonable price too. The diving out of La Paz is downright good fun, with decently sized shoals of fish, plenty of crustaceans to look for and inquisitive sealions to say hello to. Snorkeling with them is a great way to spend your surface intervals.

On top of all that there are usually a few pods of dolphins of various species around and the crew did their best to get in front of them so I could snorkel with them. They did manage to get me in the water right in front of a pod of common dolphins but they sonared me straight away (it sounded awesome) and dived well below so all I saw were their blurred shapes and angry bubbles! Good effort though. Never mind, within half an hour I was swimming around with the most accommodating whale shark I've ever seen. It was doing the 'static vertical feeding' thing for ages and didn't seem bothered by the tiny humans swimming in circles around it for about 20 minutes.

So overall I was very happy. I tend to visit La Paz once a year and I can say without hesitation that I'll dive with Fun Baja again on my next visit. Good work guys!

Visited August 2012
Santa Barbara, California
12 attraction reviews
“Nice people, fast boat, good equip & food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We enjoyed our two dives & beach lunch. Very helpful staff. We liked our dive master but thought he could have covered safety review better & if safety stop, etc. But overall, still a great outfit.

Visited December 2012
St. Louis
4 attraction reviews
“Professional Crew”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We went snorkeling with Fun Baja in La Paz. We were boating through the harbor when we spotted a whale shark. Our group was 2 couples and our dive master Eddie, he told us how to act around the whale shark and how the whale shark will react to us. We swam with this one for a half hour and then headed to the other side of the harbor where there is always whale sharks. When we got there sure enough there was a whale shark but also 3 other boats. Eddie told us they were only allowed to have 6 snorkelers and 1 guide per whale shark. While we were waiting our turn we noticed 10-12 swimmers jumping in and out of the boats chasing the whale shark. We left and went back to the 1st whale shark. All four of us were glad we were with Fun Baja and not those other tours.

Advice: wear a wetsuit or rash guard because they are eating jelly fish after all. I got a few stings-they do not hurt but do itch-and was happy to I had on long sleeves.

Visited December 2012
Boston
9 attraction reviews
“Wonderful dive masters and experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We recently returned from 3 days of diving with Fun Baja. The entire operation was warm, organized and accommodating. We chose this group because they seemed like they would be able to flex the most to meet the range of experience in our group and they did just that. We had one Discover Scuba diver, one just certified diver, and two experienced divers in our group. The first day we joined the larger boat (maybe about 15 divers) with two guides for the 4 of us, and on the subsequent days we had our own smaller (but still quite reasonable, speedy, safe and shaded) boat and again 2 dive masters. We loved diving with the sea lions, seeing some wrecks, lunch on their beautiful beach camp, etc. We will go back, and will use this group again.

Visited October 2012