“Tailhunter Restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 209 Restaurants in La Paz
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Mexican, Hot Dogs, Seafood, Barbecue, Hawaiian
Good for: Bar scene, Doing business, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Entertaining clients, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Breakfast, Buffet, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Abiquiu, New Mexico
“Tailhunter Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2015 NEW

I just returned from two weeks in La Paz. During that time I had 5 or 6 meals at the Tailhunter - three lunches (fish tacos, shrimp tacos and ceviche) and two dinners where we brought in the fish that we had caught that day (yellowtail, dorado and triggerfish) and let the crew at Tailhunter prepare them according to our preference. We invited two non-fishing friends to join us for dinner so we could show off our catch of the day. Our fish was presented very attractively on a large platter which contained the fillets cooked three different ways and an assortment of 4 or 5 side dishes that were all delicious. We especially like the poblano cream chile dish. Our friends made sure we asked them to dinner after our next outing and we did and they were not disappointed. The Tailhunter is an open air restaurant, kind of a beach bar atmosphere, with three levels that afford views of the bay and the Malecon. No white table cloths here, just good food and good service. We'll be back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

San Diego, California
“Excellent Fish Dinners”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2015 NEW

We had the Tailhunter cook up some of our fish we had caught and also had them make up some fish ceviche out of our catch. The dinner included 400g (1#) of fish per person as well as sides of a fresh corn w/ chilies succotash and an excellent Poblano chill in a cream sauce along with your standard greens, salsas, frijoles, tortillas, etc. The fish was cooked per request from their list of possible preparations. It was a memorable dinner and only $10.00/person. Of course, we supplied the fish but big deal. They cleaned it, prep it. We just had to catch it and eat it. We were there for 2 weeks and did this twice. Ate brunch/lunch there several times. All good. Service was excellent.

• Visited May 2015
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Great view, drinks OK if you can bear the wait, food was awful”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2015 NEW

Tail hunter looks great from the outside and occupies a prime position on the Malecon overlooking the bay. Great for a drink watching sunset although be warned, service was incredibly slow and they weren't even busy. The Margaritas and Guacamole was good but oh my goodness the main dishes were disgusting. They were so slow to come that my friend kept going down to the kitchen to chase; the fish was tasteless, overcooked and frankly the worst fish taco I have ever eaten. One of my friends left her meal entirely.
It was expensive for what it was - I guess you pay for the view.
Would I go back - absolutely not. Would i recommend it to anyone - maybe for a drink and the sunset but not otherwise. There are plenty of other places in La Paz to go.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
La Paz, Mexico
“Terrific burgers!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2015 NEW

The best burgers in the city! We just enjoyed the Hawaiian burger and Sirena burger. Beautiful view with the spectacular sunset and friendly hosts.

• Visited May 2015
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Walnut Creek, California
“Tailhunter return???”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2015 NEW

My husband frequently travels to Mexico for fishing expeditions. One of the areas he has visited is La Paz. The fishermen frequent the Tailhunter, because the owner is the one who organizes charter trips. My husband could not wait to take me there. We were the first ones there for breakfast on the morning our Cruise tied up in La Paz. We took a taxi which took about 15-20 minutes. The dock is not close to town. We were shown to the third floor for a seat overlooking the coast. We both ordered a Bloody Mary which turned out to be a Bloody Mistake!!! My first sip sent spasms up and down my spine. No, this couldn't be....so I took another sip and it had the same reaction. My husband was hysterical laughing at my body language. The Huevos Rancheros was okay, but nothing to write home about! Go back???? Not on your life! He won't go there either even if the owner gives away fishing trips!!! I should have believed the reviews I have seen in the past about this restaurant!

• 1 of 5 stars Food