“I had a great experience with the Carey Dive Shop!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Buceo Carey

Buceo Carey
Marina de La Paz | Topete 3040 y Legaspy • Apdo. Postal 290, La Paz CP23000, Mexico
(011 52) 612 122 1646
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 11 Shopping in La Paz
More attraction details
Owner description: Diving center since 1992, instructor training facility, daily departures, packages with hotel, sales and rental equipment.
Colorado
“I had a great experience with the Carey Dive Shop!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

I am disappointed to read the negative experiences that other customers had with the Carey Dive Shop. I feel strongly that these bad experiences were just bad luck, bad timing, etc. My experience in March, 2010 was excellent, and I plan to return again one day!!! My husband and I went SCUBA diving one day and enjoyed our experience so much that we came back for snorkeling the very next day. We dealt directly with Fernando, Belen and Angel. All of them were courteous, professional and lots of fun. Belen explained exactly what to expect when we went diving/snorkeling with the sea lions, so we felt comfortable swimming with them since we had been educated on their behavior. They did a wonderful job spotting the whale sharks which allowed us a wonderful, up-close viewing of these amazing animals. I recommend using the Carey Dive Shop when diving and snorkeling in La Paz, and I look forward to going back again!

bristol
“Beware Carey Diving La Paz - Dangerous Incompetent Rip-Off Merchants”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

I can't read the French review above other than the "It's a swindle!" but I'm probably giving a similar opinion.

We went on a snorkel trip to Espiritu Santo with Carey on 3rd April 2009. They are incompetent and rip you right off.

We were told to turn up at 8am, but at 10am we were still waiting for a boat. The first boat was dropped off its trailer (with a big crash!) so they had to sort out a replacement.

We set off in the replacement boat soon after 10am but the engine kept cutting out. The dive mistress said that as we had engine problems we could not go to the 4 locations promised, ie, 3 dive locations for the 3-tank divers and the whale shark location.

Instead we went to 2 locations, the 3-tank divers had to do 2 dives at 1 location, the 2-tank divers and the snorkellers waited around while the 3-tank divers rested between dives.

At the 2nd location the captain lost his anchor and we sat around for another hour whilst the dive mistress tried to find it.

We went nowhere near any whale shark habitat and eventually limped home with the sick engine.

The "gourmet lunch" was a sad bun with a lettuce leaf and 2 slices of salami accompanied by a teaspoon of pasta salad in a styrofoam box, oh, and some fizzy drinks.

That was all we had to eat all day, we didn't get back until 6pm, ie, 3 hours late (despite only having done half the program).

We paid $85 USB for this heap of incompetence and at the end of the day Carey offered us a free beer and a Carey wristband as an apology for our inconvenience!!!!

Avoid like the plague.

Brentwood, California
“Beware Buceo Carey dive shop!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2008

This was the worst diving experience we have ever had. I called ahead to make a reservation and explained that I was PADI Open Water certified (which allows you to dive to 60 feet) and had been diving for 3 years - a relatively inexperienced diver. My husband has been diving longer but always dives at my comfort level. We signed up for a two tank dive and were told that between dives we would be taken up to a beach, umbrellas would be set up and we'd do our surface time between dives on the beach. We were also told that we would be have a dive master with us at all times.

In fact, when we arrived, we were told that three more divers had joined us and that they signed up for a three tank dive and we would sit in the boat while they did their third dive. At this point, we agreed because we really wanted to dive with the sea lions and it was too late to find another dive shop to go with.

On the first dive (not the sea lion dive) the dive master said that he would stay with us while the other 3 divers who were more experienced went deeper. We were to stay with the dive master. The next thing we know, we check our gauges and he's got us at 90 ft.

My husband and I started gradually going shallower. Visibility was very poor. The dive master was also going shallower for a short time and then he disappeared from view.

My husband started to have a problem with pain in his ear and we had to go up. Luckily we have a dive computer which we followed to make sure to do the appropriate safety stops.

We surfaced and were within view of the boat but still a distance from it. We tried to get the captains attention to no avail.
We started to swim toward the boat and eventually he saw us and came to get us.

When we said to the the dive master - "What happened to you, you lost us." He laughed and pointed to one of the other divers and said, "Oh, I lost him too." Not only is this not funny. It's downright dangerous.

I repeat. Stay away from this operation