“Great Value - Great Hosts” 5 of 5 stars

Las Rosas Hotel & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera Tijuana, Ensenada, Mexico   |
Ranked #7 of 36 hotels in Ensenada
Denver, Colorado
“Great Value - Great Hosts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2009

We got tipped off to this great Ensenada hotels by friends in Vicente Guerrero farther down the Baja, and they were right about this hotel. We got a great deal and had rooms on the first floor overlooking the pool and the Pacific Ocean. Since the hotel was about half full, it seemed like we had the place to ourselves. The pool was great with an island for the kids to play King of the Castle on but the hot tub (for 10) was even better. Everyone enjoyed sitting in the hot tub looking out over the ocean as the sun set.

We stayed only for one night and day but thoroughly enjoyed the food and the atmosphere. The service level was high and everyone was very friendly. I would recommend this to anyone as our kids loved the pool and also our family nature walk down below in the rocks.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

135 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

I’ve loved Las Rosas for 6 years and each time I return I am reminded why.

Reservations are easy. We normally call in and make them with the toll free # from the website. They even let us reschedule our reservations at no cost.

During the high season they ask that you stay 2 nights or more, but we’ve never had a problem making reservations for just Saturday night.

This trip was a ‘girls getaway’. 3 Ladies in our 30’s – 40’s. Leave LA at 8am Saturday morning, in Rosarito by 10:30am, enjoying tacos and a cerveza for an early lunch.

There are 2 tolls on the highway from TJ to Ensenada, which each range between $1.95 and $2.20. We try and carry $1 bills and some change so we can get thru them faster. There is a military checkpoint at each toll. They stop you, perhaps ask you to open your trunk look around then wave you thru. This along with the visibility of all of the new cop cars, made us feel safer than ever to be traveling in Mexico. It’s as if they have no tolerance for law breakers.

The view is beautiful along the drive from Rosarito to Ensenada, although there is a section right outside of Puerto Nuevo that is under construction right now so it slows you down a bit for about 10 miles.

We arrived Las Rosas at noon (we asked, and paid for an upgrade to the 2 bedroom suite). The pool area is beautiful, the hotub overlooking the ocean is romantic (with my hubby).

After checking in and enjoying our view from the balcony, we went into town, knowing full well that the 3 day (booze cruise) would be in full swing at Papa’s and Beer…and it was. A bachelor party, a 40 year old birthday party…everyone was having a ball. We danced, we drank, we sang, until about 5pm, stopped at Hussong’s for one last beer, then spent the rest of the early evening visiting with some old friends and their families in Ensenada.

Sunday morning we were up early, ordered coffee via room service, took in the morning air, one gal meditated on the balcony, we watched the dolphins, made friends with a seagull, walked the grounds along the ocean at Las Rosas then eventually found our way to Puerto Nuevo at 10:30am for lobster.

We ate at the ‘#1’ for the first time in years (no line!). A little disappointed because when we ordered our lobster our waiter told us it was $19 for medium lobster and $40 for large, then he returned about 10 minutes later and told us it was $23 for the medium lobster. Charge the American girls $4 more for their lobster dinners…think not! We simply told him that we would finish our guacamole, and he could bring us the check. Another waiter came by and said that they would honor the price of $19. This includes the bean, the rice, and the unbelievably delicious tortillas. We ate, then shopped then we headed for the border. As we left, we realized that we seemed to be the only Americans in Puerto Nuevo…that’s a first.

As we got into TJ we noticed that the signage now weaves you through TJ to get to the border, and it was confusing. It used to be a straight shot off the freeway. Perhaps this is to encourage travelers to stop and spend in TJ…but frankly, it just frustrated us.

The border seemed to be move along quickly at first, but slowed down when we were about 10 cars close to the check stations. A lot more street vendors weaving through cars, than I remember just a couple years ago. The border patrol is thorough with checking passports and asking questions. All in all the whole line took us about an hour, and we were home by 4pm.

It’s a very interesting dynamic in Baja right now. Big, huge NEW beautiful condos and hotels everywhere then you look directly across the road is a shanty town of about 50 families living in cardboard boxes. I don’t remember this much poverty, or perhaps it is just more visible these days?

Happily I will visit Baja and spend my hard earned dollars there as often as possible. It feels safer than I ever remember, and the beauty of the coastline and the people is a constant.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at Las Rosas for three nights in March to celebrate my birthday. We had been to Ensenada before and stayed at Punto Morro and Estero Beach (which we love), but we wanted to try something new and we were enticed by the infinity pool and the fitness room. We knew that we were gambling with the weather, and it was a bit cold a lot of the time, but we luckily we didn't get any rain.

We arrived at Las Rosas in the afternoon and were shown to our 3rd floor room. We got a room with a jacuzzi tub...it was awesome! We also paid for the romance package that included a bottle of champagne, so we sat in the jacuzzi, drank champagne and admired the beautiful view for our balcony. The toll road is directly behind the hotel and we were on the corner room. You can hear some road noise, but it didn't bother us at all.

We were really excited to get in the infinity pool the next day, but the water was really cold! We had read online that the pool was heated and we had also asked about it when we booked the room (they said yes), but it wasn't. =( The spa had a nice view also, so luckily there was only a couple of families staying at the hotel so we were able to have it to ourselves when we finally got in. Since the pool wasn't heated, there wasn't much to do at the hotel. You can walk down on the rocky beach, but you can't go too far in either direction. They do have a tennis court, but we didn' t use it while we were there.

Low season supposedly goes through March so the rates are lower. The restaurant is down a small flight of chairs from the front desk on the way out to the pool, so it is a bit awkward being the only guests dining (which happened to us a couple of times). My birthday dinner there wasn't very festive...we were hoping the waiters would sing or put a candle in our dessert, but no such luck. They were all very nice and attentive though. We thought the food at the restaurant was okay, but there wasn't much variety and it seemed a bit overpriced.

The highlights of our stay were definitely the couples massage that we got (about $140 for both of us for an hour) and using the workout room (one of the largest and nicest I've seen in a hotel) to burn off our quesatacos and tortas. =)

The weather warmed up at the end of our stay so we decided to stay 3 more nights. We choose to return to the Estero Beach Hotel for those nights and enjoyed our stay there immensely. It was a lot less expensive and we felt like there was a lot more to do and see there. We may try Las Rosas again this summer when it warms up. It is a beautiful hotel and great for a romantic getaway, we just like to have a few more activities to choose from.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
carmen209
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

We visited Ensenada Mid March and stayed at this hotel. We had a great time. We were a little scared because of all the new about Mexicos safety but the drive down there was great. We didn't fee unsecured at all. We arrived to the hotel around 2PM and the rooms were ready they walked us up to our room a little after we setteled down we saw our door was not closing right we called and they went right up to fix it. Front desk was very friendly. Rooms are very clean and the veiw is amazing. The next day we saw that the door was still not working we went down to the front desk and the girls said she could upgrade us to a two bedrrom suite wich my son loved since he had his own room ,he's only 4 years old.

Location is only a five min drive from downtown. and 30 min. from La bfadora, and 2 hour drive from San Felipe.

Food: We only had breakfast at the hotel and it was good.

SPA My husband and I had a massage i was not able to relax through out the massage it was not comftrable at all. DON'T RECOMMEND IT.

POOL: Wheather was not that good so we wern't able to enjoy the pool but we did get into the hot tub whiched we loved.

Beach: NONE. You do have access to a sandy beach but you could walk down to a rocky beach. They kids loved going down there tocollet sea shells.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Vancouver Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

My wife and I took a vacation and decided to drive the Baja penninsula in March and April of 2008. The first place we stopped in Mexico was Ensenada. We had no specific plan or reservations and decided to look around for a hotel. We drove by Las Rosas on the north end of Ensenada and peeked in, then decided to check out other hotels in town to see what they were like for ammenities and location. Las Rosas is one of Ensenada's upper end boutique type hotels and sits on a spectacular property overlooking the ocean. We decided to give it a try and found the staff to be exceptional in all respects. Intending to stay only overnight, we decided to inquire about a longer stay and were offered a very attractive rate for the 3 nights we decided to stay on our way South. There is nothing negative to say about this hotel other than it is on the major route into Ensenada and you can hear traffic noise periodically, though it is not disturbing to guests. The property and hotel itself are beautiful, the views from each room (all have ocean views) are wonderful, each room has a good sized balcony, the restaurant is reasonably priced, the menu has suitable variety and the food is excellent. There is a very nice pool, tennis court, jacuzzi, sauna and spa facilities as well as a nice gift shop at which we purchased many items that were of good quality at better prices than offered in town! The hotel property is beautiful to walk about and well cared for. The hotel is located about 5-10 minutes from downtown Ensenada and the cruise ship port. We enjoyed our stay so much we decided we must stay again on our way back home. On our return, we checked in and were offered the same 3 day rate as before. The next day I got food poisoning at a restaraunt near La Bufadora and beacame very ill. My wife contacted the front desk to find a doctor for me but the hotel doctor happened to be away in Tiajuana that day. Within an hour and a half an alternate doctor arrived who the front desk staff had called in for me. The doctor arrived and brought an interepreter along as I speak little Spanish! The doctor spoke quite good English and attended to me immediately. He made his diagnosis, gave me a shot , told me I would soon feel better, wrote me a presciption to be filled and told me he would phone later that evening to make sure I was fine. He called later and made an appointment for me the next day at his hospital office for another shot and to check me over. I must say, his concern for me was genuine and very much appreciated. His entire services were provided for a very reasonable $70.00! The hotel staff went out of their way to quickly find me first rate care, made extreme effort to be sure I was comfortable and I was much improved the following day. I am very grateful to all staff at Las Rosas and though I was unfortunately ill, I can not imagine being treated better anywhere. If you are looking to visit Ensenada, I highly recommend Las Rosas.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2008

This hotel exceeded my expectations, staying in December the hotel was very empty and I think the staff to guest ratio must've been 1:1! My thoughts are:
The rates are great! The winter rate we paid was $89 per night which includes all taxes.
We had a standard room with king size bed. The room had been repainted and the bedlinens and towels were good quality. The room was clean but not spotless.
The room door leads directly to the outside and with the hotel being situated adjacent to a very busy road, there is a lot of loud traffic noise which only lessens between about 1am - 5am. The door was not a good fit with gaps round it which didn't help with soundproofing. If you can't sleep with traffic noise, don't stay here.
The location on the coastline is beautiful. All rooms face the ocean with a beautiful view.
The infinity pools look pretty but it was too cold for us to swim. The seagulls swimming in the pools is not very hygenic. The jacuzzi didn't look very clean. But this might be different in the warmer months when the facilities are being used more.
The restaurant is top notch, we ate there both nights of our 2 night stay.
The service from the reception to the restaurant staff was wonderful.
Although I loved this hotel I would not visit again due to the traffic noise, everything else about it was great.
Ensenada is a nice place to spend a day, easily walkable from the shops to the harbour. The food vendors at the wet fish stall (at the harbour) are delicious. Fish tacos and ceviche!
We got set up and robbed by a Mexican cop in Tijuana and detained and searched at the U.S customs. (I think because we were in a rental car and had only visited Mexico for 2 days. They were searching for drugs. We are 2 40 year old normal looking people, not the usual profile!) These were both such distressing experiences I will not visit Mexico through Tijuana again.

• Liked — The views of the coastline and the sound of the crashing waves
  • Disliked — The traffic noise
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2008

I was a bit hesitant to rate Las Rosas "above average", the room was dated with some corrosion and a few details here and there, but the service was great, the food was delicious, the room was comfortable, and the view...ahhhh the view...what can I say, the Pacific crashing against the rocks, splashing up and creating that smell and mist that only the ocean can provide.
The minuses (in no particular order):
1. No beach (but we knew that)
2. Away from downtown (wasn't an issue for us since we had a car)
3. a bit noisy a t night since the road is right next to the hotel and you can hear the cars driving by.

The pluses (in no particular order):
1. The food was exeptionally good
2. The view from every room is beautiful

This is the third hotel we've stayed at in Ensenada and is by far the best

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Las Rosas Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!