“You gotta be kidding” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 36 hotels in Ensenada
Tarzana, CA
“You gotta be kidding”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

What a dump.... Seriously, how anyone can rate this place above 2 stars is a joke. Stay away and spend your money elsewhere. It is very old, outdated and a rip off. the pool, their highlight, is Drained and closed! Carpeting is 50 years old and filthy, mold on the ceilings in the bathroom, we had to figure out that if we stand on the interior balcony only then can we get wifi, ice machine on 2nd floor has been out of order for over a week and there is no sign on it directing you to a floor that has a working one. The art looks like an intoxicated 7 year old drew it, it was creepy dank and very disappointing especially at $97(us) per night.....i could go on complaining.... There were even more issues.... What a rip off! Dont waste your precious vacation staying here. Yuk!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel, trust me!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

64 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is an older famlly-owned hotel on the south tip of the tourist strip of Ensenada. I've been here many times over the years and stayed most recently in May 2012. This is not fancy or deluxe but I enjoy its atmosphere. There's a nice pool with ample deck chairs and a little mini-waterfall. Also a hot tub. A small bar is always convivial and a cozy restaurant with bamboo styling. There is now a casino attached that used to be the disco, unfortunately it stinks so badly of smoke that if you wanted to, you couldn't enjoy it. You can't smell the smoke in the rooms, however. The staff has always been very friendly to me. It's about a three block walk to the main tourist part of Ensenada along Avenida Lopez Mateos. You're walking distance to the waterfront as well, though waterfront in Ensenada means boats and ships, not sand. The rooms are comfortable, good sized and simple. Funky Aztec paintings on the walls give it a little more style than your average chain hotel. There's secure parking. I had an amazing massage while I was there, too. I will be staying here again in May and looking forward to it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Gig Harbor, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

What a great place. My friend set this up and I checked it out on line and was a little worried. When we got there, I was even more concerned. It didnt look the best but..... This was one of the best places I've stayed. Mainly because of how real it was. It was a little run down but in a perfect way. Its hard to explain but the atmosphere, pool, food, location was so perfect that I just cant stop talking about it. I dont care much for fancy resorts etc....I like authentic....and this was.
I cant wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We always stop at San Nicolas when travelling to Ensenada due to the ease of making reservations, the location, and the secure parking. The hotel is just a couple blocks south of the tourist strip, so it's much quieter than other hotels. The staff is always friendly and professional and the rooms spacious and clean. This is a great place for families with the large pool and quiet location. The only complaint-one of our rooms smelled of cigarette smoke-and it was a non-smoking room. We were there for only one night, so we didn't feel the need to make room changes. We'll be back next trip.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
La Mesa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

I spent two nights here last weekend. Good rooms,older hotel, nice facilities - bar, pool, hot tub, restaurant . The staff is great and I often use this hotel as a launching spot for my trips to Baja. A key feature is the secure parking with a 24 hour guard. While Baja is relatively safe these days I like not having to worry about my truck or motorcycle. I sometimes leave my truck here while moto riding further down the peninsula.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Although the hotel has good location and good service I had a terrible experience there. Unfortunately my husband and I came back full of bites from bedbugs!!!The rooms are quite old too. I do not recommend this hotel...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Sun Valley, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012 via mobile

My family and I have been staying at this hotel for years. Im talking over 20 years maybe 30..and ive always loved it. Its close to first street. Has a huge pool and its open late. Rooms are clean and comfy. It has privite parking and staff is great. However this is an older hotel, but although there are much newer hotels, theres something about this place that always brings us back.

• Stayed July 2011

Been to San Nicolas Hotel and Casino? Share your experiences!