“Just got a glimpse” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Frances

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Baja California
Hotel Frances
You added Hotel Frances to your Saves list
210 Don Gaspar Ave, Santa Fe | Santa Rosalia, Mexico   |
Ranked #160 of 343 Hotels in Baja California
Greenbrae, California
“Just got a glimpse”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

On a driving trip thru Baja CA, I finally got to see this historic hotel, if only for a brief half hour. It was enough time to convince me that I want to plan a stay here sometime. The lobby, complete with a Tiffany table lamp, fabric covered walls and handsome wooden furnature, was definitely from another era. There is, however, an inner courtyard with a modern inviting swimming pool and lounge area, looking very relaxing and inviting. The hotel is located high on the upper mesa of Santa Rosalia, overlooking this unique mining town which has its own history and charm. Well worth exploring.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

It is not too often I get to say I really enjoyed staying at a hotel. At The Hotel St. Francis the staff has bent over backwards to accommodate us and it has been excellent. The beds are comfortable, and I love the oversize casement windows that open and allow fresh air to come in! It's central location has allowed my daughter and I to walk to the museums, the art galleries, and to meals. Absolutely recommend!!

Stayed March 2014
Wettingen, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

If you ever wanted to spend a night in a museum, this is the place to go. It makes you feel like in a Western movie. A lot of character. Simply amazing!
Some people have a lot to complain here. I think they shouldn't come to Mexico in the first place. Of course the hotel isn't perfect, like many hotels in Mexico. But with just a little bit of an open mind you're going to have a memorable stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I had heard many things, both good and bad about the Hotel Frances. I had never stayed in Santa Rosalia, always heading south. But this weekend we were on a break from our Amigos de Los Californios trip before heading up to Santa Martha. We were booked into the Hotel Frances. Easy to find on the north rim of the canyon where most of Santa Rosalia lies. Right down the street from the mining museum. Our rooms were in the back section on the second floor. Remember, this is not standard Baja or Mexican construction - it was heavily influenced by the French mining company who ran this town for so long. And it was a magical change of pace in Baja - going back in time and changing locales to a place where houses and buildings had verandas, all wood construction including the creaky floors, the thick/padded wallpaper (I guess?) with vintage colors. The people were extremely nice and helpful - my room was very clean and functional, and I felt like I was somewhere on a plantation in the South, or maybe at an old hotel in Versaille - until I walked out on my veranda and looked out over the Sea of Cortez! Now for the new - their pool in the courtyard was very clean and the WiFi was fantastic for keeping in touch. All in all a great stay and a new place to add to my future travels.

Room Tip: The rear building on the 2nd floor is a great location - nice views and great veranda with rocking c...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

We didn't stay here so what I have to say doesn't apply to the accommodation. We went to the hotel for breakfast, hoping to get something vaguely French and delicious. The Hotel is beautiful, kept in real French style and surrounded by old trains and copper smelting equipment from the old mine. the interior decoration is beautiful and very French in style still. The breakfast was rubbish I'm afraid, with white pappy bread and nothing interesting, which is a bit unforgivable as there is a wonderful bakery in town. The waitress was playing loud piped music which was very distracting and not in keeping, the mushrooms in my omelette were tinned, the coffee was weak. Shame as so much could be done in such a wonderful place!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Oakville, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

We stayed here on our second night driving down from San Diego. The town was the perfect distance from El Rosario to get us off the highway before dark and that is about the best thing I can say about anything we found there.

We were driving a Mercedes convertible and the road from the highway up to the hotel was about the worst we drove the entire trip. It was part dirt part very - extremely - large cobblestones. The parking was out in the open off to the side of the hotel.

The hotel itself could be quite charming if it was in better repair. The place has an air of neglect and the staff member on the desk was somewhat surly which didn't improve our impression. We would have gone to another hotel but it was getting late and any port in a storm so to speak. The bannister up the stairs to our room was loose and some of the bannister around the open gallery in front of the rooms on the second floor was also loose. The lock on the door to the room was more of a bathroom lock than a hotel room lock. I honestly would not have stayed there if I had been traveling alone.

The room could have had a nice view had their been a window looking out on the gallery but there wasn't. Instead there was a teeny tiny window facing the back that I'd have needed a chair to look out of. The bed was OK, not really uncomfortable but not comfy either. The a/c unit was old and extremely noisy and didn't have enough power to cool down the bathroom but with the bathroom door shut it rumbled and rattled the room bearably cool. The night was hideously humid - one of the worst I've ever experienced in 14 summers in Pacific Mexico - so we couldn't really sit outside. The shower head was aimed a the floor and didn't have a spray good enough to rinse the shampoo out of my hair.and there was a slight sewage smell from the drain but the bathroom and the room in general were clean.

The hotel did allow pets - we were traveling with one of our dogs - but the price for this pokey little practically windowless room with a small bottle of water in a carafe and no coffee maker was priced high at $700 pesos per night.

The entire town could be very charming with the quaint French colonial architecture but it is all so run down and in such a state of disrepair it is instead just rather depressing.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
mexicano viajero
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

this is a very nice hotel , you have the oportunity of live in the first years of XX century but with air conditioned and swiming pool , near to the museum and the downtown , is a very good place for stay in Santa Rosalia.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Frances? Share your experiences!