“Honeymoon” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in Isla Baru
Swift Current, Canada
“Honeymoon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband and I went here for our Honeymoon for 3 nights. It is a very quiet, small and beautiful location. This is a place best for relaxation; however, day trips and activities can be arranged for you.
Our unique situation is that we had my mother with us because she speaks no Spanish and isn't used to travelling by herself. The owner and staff were very good about helping her and entertaining her while we went off by ourselves. Without their assistance, my honeymoon might have been ruined.
Also, my mother and I have allergies to chemicals and the staff was very accommodating to our situation. Housekeeping removed all the chemicals from our rooms and followed our cleaning requests.

My only issue with the hotel was the food services. I found the menu very limited and didn't like that we were charged for bottled water. They have free coffee and tea service, but at times wasn't available because the staff wasn't maintaining it properly.

I found the accommodations very charming and unique. If you are looking for a very relaxing space to take in the scenery and enjoy the sea, this is a good place to go.

Room Tip: The view from the upper rooms is amazing.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
giacomotc, Manager at Hotel Sport Baru, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear guest.

We are very happy to read your review. Nowadays we are working in a new menu for our restaurant, and we recently finished the renovations of our rooms, giving air conditioners and hot water to all of them.

We look forward to having you both for your aniversary.

kindly,

Giacomo.

76 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Ocean City, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed for 5 days...way too long! The staff seemed new , friendly but most did not know any English. The beach and area photograph much better that they appear in person. It's very overpriced because you are captive to the resort's drink and food prices. The food is not worth the price charged even if it's expensive to bring it in by boat.The showers ran as a lukewarm dribble.Best thing about this stay was the weather. Would not go back!

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Myself and my boyfriend stayed her for 1 night to get over our jet lag following a long journey from Australia. The location is great, no real beach but a sandy area with lots of lounges and shade set amongst the pretty mangroves. The staff were friendly and the food was very good however very limited options. If you want a nice beach you have to do a day trip, it was very quiet and a relaxing place to chill out. The room was basic, but clean. All of this is absolutely fine and a good spot to chill out a few days, the only problem is the price. The cost was almost 500 dollars for 1 night plus transfers from cartegena, which considering the accomodation is very steep. Would recommend it if you could get it for half the price, but as it is wouldn't go back!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed 3 nights , the service was not good. One night I waited 1.5 hours for my spegetti with some ground beef on top. The next day I waited 40 minutes for a coffee , while the server walked past me 8 times while serving the owners friends. I told one of the owners that the service was bad and that my 10$ ham and cheese sandwich tasted bad. He was offended and avoided me. The cleaning lady left a bottle of cleaner in our room and a dirty sport baru t shirt . The room was like a ghetto tiki hut. The real thing is 3 times less than the pictures. The beach is man made. It has weed cloth with imported sand on it. You can feel the seams with your feet. The second day they didn't even do room service. We asked them why and they said that we are supposed to request it. Why did they do it the first day then when we did not request it. There is only one cook and up to 50 total eatting at once, 90% are day trippers . So u start to feel like a second class customer to day trippers. There is no hot water in the showers, there is no tv in the rooms. There is free kayaking and ping pong , otherwise you have to pay for everything else, this is not a sport resort they have wind surfing and a small sailboat but I didn't see any wind. The water is not blue and beautiful like typical Caribbean islands as the beach is man made. None of the neighbors on the coastline had a beach, just a dock. I really wanted to leave the second day but you can't because they have the only boat. If you want to stay here at least try the day trip first. Or try blue water hotel, the place brings you there on a day trip to a section of beach on the very end that is fenced off. That beach was natural and beautiful. Even though we got the end section with lots of trees. Anyway, stuff as much beer and snacks in your suitcase as you can. And hide it when you consume it. The menu has a listing for pizza @ 100000 Colombian posos , that's roughly 60$ American.. I hope you consider at least some of my points as to not go to this hotel, I am writing this review because I feel so taken advantage of. On a side note previous to this I did stay at hotel Dann Cartegena (it was awesome!!!!!!!!!!) and I am currently staying at hotel casa gloria in the old city, it is great so far, these are two other great options. Please don't stay here. This review is real you can Skype me at Calvin.Linde to confirm.

• Stayed December 2012
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We booked a day trip to Hotel Sport Baru through Giacomo, the owner. We left from marina in Cartagena at 8:30AM and returned at 4:30PM. The boat was comfortable, clean and an easy 45 minute ride to Baru.We were a group of 14. Upon arrival, Giacomo greeted us and made us feel right at home. His staff also provided excellent service. Beautiful beach with lounge chairs, kayaks, hammocks, towels all included in the price. An excellent grilled fish lunch was also included. A full bar available and massages for additional but reasonable prices. Our group enjoyed great drinks and the massages were amazing. Giacomo also offered to take us to a somewhat deserted beach 5 minutes away with beautiful turquoise water much like in Rosario. Only there were some vendors there so we quickly returned to Hotel Sport Baru which we nicknamed paradise. There is an artisan colony very close which is a lot of fun too. Banana boats, tubing and wave runner rentals all for reasonable prices. Kids in our group enjoyed this too. Next time we travel to Cartagena we plan to stay overnight at Hotel Sport Baru for a night or two. On a side note, Giacomo also rented us a private boat trip to Rosario 2 days later for our group of 18. Also a wonderful day trip. You will not be disappointed in a visit to Hotel Sport Baru- ask for Giacomo!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We spent two nights at the Hotel Sport Baru in Dec. 2012. The resort is on the Baru Island/peninsula about 45 min. by speedboat from Cartagena. Overall, we were very satisfied with our stay, but I also agree with almost all the other reviewers mentionning several items for improvment.

Now, on the Plus side:
1.) A very helpful and attentive staff,
2.) Clean rooms (no bugs at all for us..),
3.) Quiet location and an overall gorgeous setting in the Cholon Bay area (several beautiful beaches are just a few minutes away by kayak, which are provided free of charge.)

The Minuses:
1.) Although good, the food can get quite repetitive after a few days,
2.) Water bottles should be provided free of charge for hotel guests (as is the coffee/tea).

Overall a positive experience although a bit on the pricey side.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We paid nearly 300GBP for one night at Sport Baru, including transfers and meals. The room was clean but basic, the sort of beach cabin you would pay 20-30GBP max. for in Thailand or Bali. No WiFi. The food was fine, the beach nothing special, the staff helpful. No hassle, which was good, but the peace and quiet was ruined by loud music playing all day at a beach over the water. I guess this is because it was the weekend. Probably the worst value £300 we've ever spent on holiday.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Sport Baru? Share your experiences!