“The service is great.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 87 Hotels in Ao Nang
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“The service is great.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I guess we were there on a low season that's why it is queiter.

I got to say, the location is not really ideal, it's situated rather far out from the beach. Although it did provide a quiet environment but it does not allow freedom to go to the main street or the beach at your liking. The resort to the beach is at least a kilometer long, and it is on a small road. though it is walkable, it's not really advisable because it is quite dodgy

That said, the resort does provide shuttle service to get to and from hotel. And it is free and you can use it from 7am till 9pm. They fetch you as far as mcdonalds which is rather far from the resort and to either Ao Nang beach or Naopharat beach. You'll need to call them to pick you up though when you're done so you got to have a phone or local number.

The resort itself is rather small, They have 2 pools but they are more for getting soaked than swimming in it. We did not utilize the pool because it does not really look inviting to us.

The rooms are ok. My only complaint about the room is that they should have upgrade the TV. They are still using the cube TV. Other than that, it is very comfortable... The balcony is superb, although I recommend you to buy mosquito coil from the local pharmacy/drug store to put it in the balcony unless you like having mosquitos as pet. They do not provide toothbrush and toothpaste in this resort, so you gotta come prepared.

Room Tip: Canal rooms has got more privacy
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Hello!
If you ever think of going to Ao Nang, well, never go to Sunda Resort!!
You have to pay your stay all in advance, and if you ask why, they will only smile, without giving you a reason.
They don't understand English, or pretend not to understand it... as a customer, it's very difficult to communicate... it's not a smart move, if you are in a business!
As soon as we arrived in the room, the sheets were dirty, with stains which we couldn't recognize the origin of.
Every day we had to compile a form with the next day breakfast, choosing between 3 options, and telling them what time exactly we would have breakfast!
One day we had the brilliant idea to leave some stuff for the internal laundry... bad decision!
We left the clothing in the morning at the reception, and we were supposed to get it back on the morning after, but obviously our stuff was not ready, and we got it back in the evening... not even in our room, but we had to ask for it at the reception.
And when we opened the bag two shirts were ruined, with stains weren't there before, and they were shrunk. Of course, we asked them to wash in cold water, but they washed in hot water... with the shrinking result.
We left a letter to the manager hotel at the reception, complaining about what happened... we got our laundry money back, but we didn't get a sorry note, apologizing for the inconvenience... very unprofessional!
At the end, the service was terrible, and the people working there was really unkind to us...
I hope this review will be helpful to you,

Jennifer

• Stayed August 2013
Gloucester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I had previously stayed at Sunda in 2010 and left a review on Asia Rooms as we had enjoyed it. My 13 year old son wanted to go back so I had planned to check in on 3 August 2013 and checkout on 9 August 2013. I had booked direct with the hotel online and payment was made for one night. We had travelled to Krabi from Phuket by private taxi due to heavy rain the sea journey wasn't a good idea. On arrival at Sunda straight away I could tell things had changed as the lobby area was pretty empty.

I was asked for my credit card during check in and fortunately for me their machine was not working properly. Also we were asked to fill in forms stating what we wanted for breakfast and to outline exactly what time it was required. In 2010 the breakfast was superb and had a massive selection and partly influenced our decision to go back. The desk informed us that the policy is different in low season which is why we were asked to fill in forms. We had just one breakfast there and whilst it was ok the choice was dreadful.

Room was perfectly clean but the shower had low pressure and had not been descaled plus it was cold. There was no plug for the sink and toilet paper had to go in a bin which is normal for parts of Asia but we didn't like it.

The pools and hotel have become tired and are showing signs of neglect. This is a real shame as it could be so much better with some attention to detail. In 2010 I picked up a dreadful ear infection from the garden pool as it was dirty and had scum all around the edge. I did not want a repeat episode.

I had told the desk staff that we were going to leave after the night that we had already paid for due to the reasons outlined in the review and the fact that the place was pretty much empty. When I came to leave on day 2 the desk staff insisted that I pay for the full term of the stay which I refused to do as clearly the hotel was not up to standard and we felt let down. If the hotel was full then fair enough but most rooms were empty so there was no way I was going to pay. We settled on a compromise of a payment of 1 day paid in cash which I resent but at least we could leave without too many bad feelings. Staff did give us a lift to our new choice of hotel so I guess it wasn't all bad.

Sunda is a Muslim resort and we found staff to be ok in spite of the issue about leaving and the cleaning team do a good job.

Would we stay there again? Definitely not.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Yogyakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

My wife and I chose this hotel for its good reviews and did not lie at all. Located amidst a beautiful garden features fully equipped rooms. Pool small but sufficient. Clean quiet and priced below $ 30. You can ask for more?. Totally recommended!.

Room Tip: The garden view rooms are cheaper but just as beautiful.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Navi Mumbai, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Sunda was a cosy place, surrounded by lots of greenery. sunda was a love at 1st sight. bathrooms though were a bit of turn off. there were frogs and lizards. and doors need to be shut in the eve, as greenery attracted mosquitoes. but they provide repellents,still its better to carry ur own. swimming pool is small and shallow, but good enough to spend a lazy afternoon. the staff was good. and provided all necessary items. hotel's own tuk tuk was available to go to the beach.
over all it was a good stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Loved it here; the room is modern and cosy, bathroom needs some getting used to but nothing wrong with it. The setting of the hotel is amazing, it feels like you're in the jungle, also there are two swimming pools to choose from. Restaurant food was nice and staff are friendly. We ended up staying two extra nights as we liked it so much and didn't want to leave. The free shuttle to the beach and restaurants is great. Would recommend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed July 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Booked 2 rooms and stayed for two nights here. Went with my gf and my sister and her fiance. At first i expected the worst, because whenever I went to places that I've never been to, I always expected the worst. But surprisingly everything was alright! First of all, the resort staffs and welcoming party were all very helpful, and speaks OK english. The rooms were spacious. We took the canal view room. Not much to complain about. But here's the breakdown :

Pros :
1) Good service from resort staff
2) Amazing room (since the trip was some sort of a birthday getaway for my gf so the romantic setting was just perfect)
3) Privacy (for those who enjoy it)

Cons:
1) Not much of choices for food for breakfast (if i'm not mistaken on Sundays you would have to pay extra for breakfast or something like that)
2) The resort itself is abit secluded so if you come back after a night out at the bar, the trip back to the resort is a little scary

Other than that, it's a good place to stay!

Room Tip: Pick the canal view room, it has more privacy
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunda Resort? Share your experiences!