“Peaceful and efficient” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 84 Hotels in Ao Nang
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Peaceful and efficient”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Chanced upon the Duang Jai Resort after trying quite a few other places along the Nopparat Thara beach (didn't know Ao Nang existed at this point and once we did, we avoided it).
Everything was way over our budget, but we felt that we could stretch it a bit as Duang Jai looked lovely and was at the quiet end of a street, with parking, which we needed as we were driving.
Jeab, the manager, was efficient, friendly and genuine - a real find these days - and the staff were all very well trained and helpful.
Lovely rooms, with all you could want for a quiet and relaxing stay, great saltwater pool surrounded by greenery and birds (and few people as the resort is very small).
Breakfast fine and pretty standard for this kind of resort - not 5 star, but then much easier than trying to find a decent breakfast out of the complex. Again, staff always willing and able to chat, offer other options etc.

Room Tip: All rooms seem pretty much equal size and specification.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Duangjairesort2013, Owner at Duang Jai Resort, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for your review and pleased to welcome you again soonest.Don't miss to notice us you are the repeat guest for the next visit Duangjai Resort,your second home !

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

I went to Ao Nang for 3 nights with my husband, parents and brother. I booked this hotel as I thought it would be nice and peaceful as it is a little way from the main strip of restaurants. It was lovely and quiet, but still only took 5 minutes to walk down and get some food in the evening. The rooms were big, comfortable and clean. The garden and pool are really pretty. The breakfast had good variety and was of good quality. We booked a package and got airport transfers, a boat trip and a dinner thrown in. The boat trip was pretty good and the dinner was lovely and extremely huge. When you go into the hotel in the evenings you wouldn't even know that they do food, but it was really good. Without the boat trip and the dinner, I think the rooms would have been over-priced, but I guess it is high season so...
If there is any negative about this hotel, it is that the reception staff don't really seem to know what's going on. Maybe they're nervous speaking English, I don't know but they seemed fairly clueless. Luckily we didn't have any real issues for them to solve. I would definitely recommend this place to friends who want somewhere quiet to stay.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are much more private. The ones on the ground floor are really quite exposed to ever...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

I liked the location of this resort - about 10 minutes walk from Either Ao Nang or Nopparat Thara Beach. There are several restaurants and stores right nearby. The pool area is nice, mostly unoccupied and surrounded by plants. The breakfast consisted of bread, eggs, bacon that was never cooked enough, fruit, yogurt, cereal, and a couple other items. It got old after 7 days but was good enough.

I shopped around and feel this is a good value hotel in the area. Still, for Thailand the price is quite high. I guess that is the cost of being in a touristy area.

I booked a ground floor room because it was slightly cheaper and had the exact same floor plan as the top floor. This was a mistake - the footsteps of the people above you resonate loudly such that we were listening to booming footstomps from 5pm to 11pm. It was almost laughable listening to the NONSTOP foot sounds. I think the design of the building allows sound to carry through the cement such that you can hear footstomps from several rooms away, because there is no way that 1 or 2 people could have made all that noise. Also, the whole front of the room is windows facing the pool, which is nice to look out but terrible for privacy. Because of the windows we had to shut all the curtains all the time, making the room feel dark and cave-like.

This is the last resort on the street and is in a quiet area. Of course it is no longer quiet if you happen to get noisy neighbors in the next room, which we did. The rooms have a small sitting area outside in the front, which is nice to relax but again not so great when your noisy neighbors are out on their sitting area drinking.

The hotel staff did not speak much English. This was fine with me with the small exception that the server at the egg station never understood how I wanted my eggs cooked.

Overall, I was happy with this resort and would have been much happier with a second floor room. Even though the resort was not full, we were not offered a top level room like other reviewers were.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Finally booked myself a trip to Krabi, spent a few days there just soaking up the sun and enjoying the beaches. Checked into Duang Jai Resort together with 3 of my mates in Oct 2011. First impression is quite positive. The room is spacious, with a resort-feel to it, the decor seems new, with a decent pool as well. Location wise not the most ideal place, although is about a 15 min to the beach, it is a much longer stroll if you wish to get to the Walking Street, where most of the pubs/restaurants/massage parlours are.

Room prices include breakfast, which is nothing to boast about. Just your simple eggs/toast/ham/sausage combo together with a cup of coffee, though I must add that the coffee is pretty good.

Service at the resort is quite disappointing, room service ends at 5pm, resulting in buying food from nearby hotels, which is quite funny to me. Also, during our last night stay, the power went out at the resort. But seems like the hotel staff were all soundly asleep, as there is no one at the reception desk!

In summary, Duang Jai Resort seems like a pretty decent place, which boast nice decor at affordable prices and a quiet location for you to wind down after a day of water sports/beach activities. However the distance from the Walking Street and the lack of service at the resort are the down points.

Room Tip: Not sure about connecting rooms, but they do have rooms with connecting balcony area.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

We waited to decide on our accommodation until we arrived in Krabi and were referred to AoNang by the hotel desk at the airport. To preface my review, as 30-something backpackers we were very disappointed with AoNang. It was very commercialized, the only way I can describe it is as being a bit of a strip mall atmosphere. Many people seem to love it, but we wanted beautiful beach, chilled out bars/restaurants, and other young western travelers to talk to, which we eventually found on Railay. Back to the point...

Duang Jai the hotel was fine; clean, stylish, very friendly management, and a nice pool. The location however was a bit dodgy. The hotel is at the end of a quiet street, at the edge of AoNang near to the start of Nopparat Thara Beach. This might have been ideal in high season, but in low season the only things open were in AoNang and it was a bit of a trek to get to the central area. Of course a tuk tuk is easy and inexpensive.
My main issue was that across from the hotel was a sort of shanty town. I didn't feel any danger, it was just a bit of a strange contrast.

A small criticism, when we arrived I noticed the air conditioner was making a very unusual sort of grinding noise. The hotel manager was very eager to address my concern but she, and my friend, didn't find it as bothersome as I did. The manager even took me to the neighboring room and the ac was making the same noise so I thought I was just being oversensitive. Two mornings later we found the unit spewing water. Blessing in disguise because we were moved to a much quieter room and I was finally able to get a good night's rest.

So to summarize, if you are sure you want to be based in AoNang and are looking for something in a bit of a quieter location than this hotel is a good choice. Good value, great people, nice, modern design.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

Chance upon this resort through Trip Advisor and decided to book them due to good reviews by other travellers.

Excellent service:
Expect every enquiry that you emailed to be responded within the hour or the same day itself. Jaeb, the hotel manager was very quick in responding and confirming your booking.

Great hospitality:
Upon arrival, was surprised to be greeted by Jaeb herself. She made us felt very welcomed and in less than 5 mins, we checked into our room (although we arrived a few hours before the actual check-in time).

Throughout our stay there, Jaeb was able to recommend / suggest places to visit or eat. She helped us to book the motorcycle, spa etc. They will do their best to accommodate to your requests.

Accommodation:
Room & common area were clean and well-maintained. The resort only has 21 guests rooms - which is great because you don't expect the place to be very crowded.

Bed and pillows were comfortable. They have a patio for you to hang-out (all with pool-view).

Food & Beverage:
Most of their dishes contained pork - so, if you are a vegetarian or a muslim - try to ask for a room quote without any breakfast.

Location:
About 10mins walk to the Ao Nang beach and shopping area. Rent a bike if you can ride one - the best way to get around. There's a free parking at the resort.

Duang Jai is a small-scaled resort, located slightly away from the bustling area. If you like it quite and a not-so-crowded. Duang Jai Resort is the place to be.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

Just came back from my trip to Krabi, throughly enjoyed the stay in Duangjai. Emailed the staff Jeab and Jirapan b4 e trip to confirm some details of the package and their reply was prompt and answered all my questions and request.

Got a room at the upper level, it was spacious, clean and well stocked with facilities. Breakfast was ok. Had a dip in their pool which was great, when u r inside u feel like in a green Oasis of plants.

Was a little walk from the main street but it was exactly how I liked it, nice and quiet but close enough to the main action in Ao Nang.

p.s. Email them and ask 4 best price without breakfast.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Duang Jai Resort? Share your experiences!