“Monkeys invested island ruins my holiday” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas

Save Saved
You added Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas to your Saves list
Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   396-396/1 Moo 2, Ao Nang, Ao Nang, Krabi Town 81000, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free Buffet Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 83 hotels in Ao Nang
Singapore, Singapore
“Monkeys invested island ruins my holiday”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My wife arrived at the resort on Friday, 4 July; checking in for 2 nights. We boarded into a speed boat from the jetty to reach the island. Upon reaching the shore, we were appalled that that the only bridge leading to the shore from the sea was moving up and down vigorously because of the choppy water. The hotel's website does not even state such possible occurrence. Definitely not a place to visit if you have kids, the elderly or if you have problem walking. No way it is safe at all to walk on that shaky bridge.

On Saturday morning at Lotus Court where we're having our breakfast, a group of at least 5 monkeys started to jump onto tables and snatching food from the table and tearing off sachets of sugar. Such sudden "attacks" we're very shocking and many guests left hurriedly. I understand that the island is a natural reserve for the monkeys. But again, the hotel website doesn't state how dangerous the situation is.

I went back to my room. At noon, I ordered in-dining pizza. When the butler delivered the pizza to my room, there are at least 10 monkeys who we're hanging around my room's balcony. These monkeys are obviously very hungry and they're hunting for food.

I locked myself in the room fearing of walking outside and getting attacked by monkeys. A few hours later, when no monkeys were sighted on my balcony, we decided to venture out of our room. Big mistake!

A few steps outside our room, we were cornered by a big monkey. I tried to chase it away, but it walked towards me. This monkey is definitely not afraid of human.

I screamed for help. It takes 10 minutes for the hotel staff to come down to our rescue. During this time, we were really petrified by the whole situation.

After the trauma, my wife decided to check out early and forfeited our 2nd night at the resort. While waiting for our speed boat out of the island, we witnessed another horror show.

An incoming guest, walking in to the resort with a bag of food on her hand, was attacked by a group of monkeys who tried to steal the food from her. One of the monkeys even climbed onto her and scratched her! When I quizzed the hotel staff why the monkeys are so aggressive, she nonchalantly replied "you are not supposed to bring food to the resort" - what!! This is not even stated anywhere on your website nor was this told to any of guests when we first arrive at your resort!

Imagine had we been attacked by monkeys and got infected by rabies!

Needless to say, forfeiting my night stay is the best decision ever!

Attractions place for a vacation! Unless you want to experience "planet of the Apes" real life!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

1,623 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

First thing you must know about this resort is that it is only accessible by a shuttle speedboat which the resort provides. This makes the resort exclusive, along with the tranquility it offers. And the facilities and restaurants available were of nothing short. They also offer daily activities like pilates classes and etc which they would display beside the pool.

We got the spa deluxe ocean room and it was amazing. Besides the daily morning making-up of the room, they came every evening too to prep our bed of which they even offered a selection of pillows. Breakfast was had either facing the beach surrounded by the limestone formations or indoors where we would be serenaded by a pianist. Though their variety was rather limited, what's interesting was that they had daily chef specials. We spent a day island hopping while the rest of our days were spent lounging by the pool and the beach fronts or in our balcony's jacuzzi. And you must go to their spa for a massage, they really loosened us up in all the right spots. To top it all off, while having dinner at Rim Saai on our last night, we were serenaded by two lovely guitarists, it was so romantic. Our stay albeit a short one was a really amazing and memorable one. Really thankful for the experience I had here.

Do note to make bookings for their shuttle speedboats if you're planning on heading out. And boil water only with their bottled water.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We stayed for 5 nights in Aug '12..the place if indeed heaven with very good view of the rock in the middle of the sea...

The boat ride to the Ao nang town itself is an adventure ..i loved walking on the moving platform to the boat...

Room Tip: The room i had was with private jacuzi but unfortunately did not have a clear view of sea as there w...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My wife and I stayed at this beautiful resort for 12 nights in Jun/July . Arriving by boat (only way to arrive) we were astounded by the beauty of the private little cove that it occupies. It was the start of the monsoon season and the sea was quite rough on arrival. This presented the challenge of negotiating the pontoon pier but with plenty of staff to assist us we were soon on terra firma. Being in our 60's we were quite proud of our small accomplishment and on hindsight found it good fun. We were taken up to our villa, ocean facing suite with pool, and we walked into a beautiful dark timber and light tiled small residence with king sized bedroom, spacious sitting room and large bathroom with two balconies and a sparkling plunge pool. Being a steep climb to our residence, it is advisable to catch one of the easily accessible golf buggy taxies that operate late into the night. The views presented to us were astounding and stunning. Beautiful blue sea,monolithic rock jutting from the water, a multitude of various small boats plying back and forth, and behind us, huge rock cliffs which made the backdrop to this wonderful setting. The days started with a stroll down the small roads to a lovely buffet breakfast. If you eat outside the monkies occasionally provide some light relief when they descend and try to grab some tasty breakfast morsel. If one is put off by this you just move indoors and the staff make up your table for you.
The resort restaurants are top class, led by the Thai restaurant , Rim Saai, with the wonderful hostess, Lek, making sure you are comfortable and attended to. We had some of the nicest Thai food we have had there. Hagi, the Japanese restaurant, was also top class if a little expensive. Lotus Court restaurant provided a more Western menu and was also very nice. On The Rocks Bistro is situated near the main pool and on the boulevard at the beach. It is open from mid morning to late night and provides sustinence to the pool goers by day and simple outdoor dining in a beautiful and romantic setting by night. We had Club Priviledges and I cannot praise the female hostesses highly enough. Thank you Sa, Cha and Dang for making our time with you so memorable. We would have taken them home with us if we had the room.
The outdoor activity manager, Cartoon, was always very pleasant and attentive.( We hope you like your new car, Cartoon and all the best wishes for your upcoming nuptials .
David, the manager and ball, his deputy were always attentive and easy to talk to and I am sure would have seen to any problems if indeed we had had any .
Boarding the boat to leave the resort was a small challenge but with smiling and laughing assistance it was nearly and probably enjoyable
Wendy and I thank one and all for a wonderful and relaxing sojourn.

Room Tip: Higher rooms mean better views. Lower rooms, less view but less walking
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

First of all, I did not know in advance (from our booking on Hotels.com) that the resort was only accessible by boat - definitely should have read the reviews here! That being said, my friends and I were only staying for one night, so we didn't mind staying only at the resort - it was absolutely beautiful and the quiet was just what we needed. However, if I were to stay longer, I would have liked an easier way to get to and from the hotel - perfect for honeymooners, but not exactly people who like to explore, as I wanted to see Railay Beach but decided it was too much of a trek once I made it to the resort. Other than that, it was a beautiful property - great pool, fine service, clean rooms, and a nice variety of on-site restaurants, a spa, and a gift shop.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Fantastic location if you are looking for an isolated quiet getaway. boat transfers are available at specific hours and, when it is opened, a trail leading to the main beach is accessible, about a half hour trek. Would not recommend this trail to the elderly or small children. Entrance to the resort is by boat only and you arrive on a floating pier that ebbs and flows with the waves. This can be a bit of a challenge, again for younger and older folks. Nice rooms, clean, well appointed, comfortable.

Room Tip: Although some rooms are sea facing, they are only partial. Higher floors have the best views, but l...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Alice Springs, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Centara Grand is certainly in a unique location. However, I would only recommend this hotel to people who intend to spend their entire holiday at the resort and do not wish to explore other areas of Krabi as the ferry service is inconvenient and often booked out in advance.

Having to walk the floating pier to get on and off the ferry (and resort) was intimidating for my partner and is not for the frail or feint hearted.
The food in the restaurants was mostly above average and we enjoyed the teppanyaki meal in the Japanese restaurant, although the meals are overpriced for Thailand. The musicians that play in the restaurants were exceptional. Very talented friendly and created an air of ambience.

We had just arrived from a 5 star hotel in Singapore and the breakfast at Centara Grand was very average in comparison.Do not eat outside unless you are happy for monkeys to steal your food as you sit and eat.
Staff were very hit and miss, with some offering amazingly good service while others gave the impression they were the ones on holidays.
The On the rocks Bar was extremely disappointing for service. It is an ideal location to watch the sunset, with a nice outlook ofver the beach and limestone outcrops. Apart from one young lady that was very helpful and always gave us a smile, the staff here were among the worst I have every had the displeasure of encountering. Even after I had to go and find someone to get another drink, they then waited more than 15 minutes to bring those drinks, despite us being the only patrons there. In the end, we decided to leave just as the drinks were arriving. Also, while waiting for the ferry, we asked to get a coffee and were told they do not start service until 10am.
Beware the painted concrete outside the rooms as it is extremely slippery, especially when wet. My partner slipped and hurt her back and hip one night on our way to dinner.
The room was excellent (Spa Deluxe with Ocean View) and relaxing. The mini bar was not restocked at all during our 4 day stay despite my requests after the second day.
The beach was dirty every morning and although the staff were in the process of cleaning up, I thought the clean up could have been done before guests awoke for the day.
We booked a tour to Phi Phi islands with friends who were staying on the mainland, but the ferry was fully booked at 8am. We asked the tour company if catching the 9am ferry to meet up with the tour would be acceptable and they said yes. The next morning, we arrived at 7:45 am just in case someone had cancelled on the 8am boat. The 8am boat left and returned and for some reason they did another trip in between the 8am and 9am service. As 9am approached, we asked the staff member to call the tour company and tell them we would be late. Because of the extra ferry run, we did not reach Krabi mainland until well after 9:30am. The tour we had booked was leaving (after waiting for 45mins) as we were approaching the pier. Fortunately, our friends were on the tour boat already and asked the captain to turn around and collect us. If it were not for our friends on the tour boat, this episode had the potential to totally ruin our day.
As I mentioned before, I would only recommend Centara Grand if you intend to stay at the resort for the duration of your stay and not have to rely on the ferry service dictating the times you can come and go. Expect to pay extra for everything if you choose this option.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!