“Don't get the villas pictures are not what you get” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas

You added Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas to your Saves list
Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   396-396/1 Moo 2, Ao Nang, Ao Nang, Krabi Town 81000, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free Buffet Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 88 Hotels in Ao Nang
New York City, New York
“Don't get the villas pictures are not what you get”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

First of all, the place look amazing. Check in ,you get a boat to a wobble bridge that was pretty fun. Then the regular rooms are nice could use some up keeping for a five star hotel but no problem you are in Thailand. I got the private villa for the end of my stay to top off the honeymoon experience.
The villa had nice nice view of the big rock from the balcony. The main reason I booked the villa was for the view from out private infinity pool. Pool was small and kinda dirty but didn't care. All I wanted was for us to take nice pictures like the adds show you with your private pool over the ocean with the big rock. Instead I got no view from the pool I saw these trees covering the view. Also when you push the trees to the side your view again is blocked by a huge building that is half way blocking the ocean . So I go to the staff and explain to them my situation the manager says there's nothing we can do. No money back no upgrade because I got the best already. I ask can you show me the room where the view was taken they can't do it and will ask the sites put put that picture down from the travel sites because that view doesn't exist.
At this point I give up I got my room and just try to make the best I can out of it. I called for room service and I waited 1 hr and a half. They said they were really busy. They gave me free Desert to try to make it up to me. I have never heard of a place waiting hour and a half for room service and especially for villa service.
Stay in a regular room and don't stay for to long there's not many things to do. Go to town to eat food at the hotel was pretty ok but the food outside is great.

Room Tip: Villas are over rated view not that good
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear brian r

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

I am sorry that your expectation of the view from your pool was not met. All our pool villas have views over the ocean and towards the main limestone rock in front, however the view may vary due to the location of the villa as shown on our Centara website where the view is from the bedroom balcony.

In regards to your comment about wanting to see the room that was on the website, the staff may not have been able to show you the exact room as it was more than likely occupied with other guests. However we have done a recent photo shoot of the hotel where I was personally involved and we do not change or alter the view from the rooms where the photos were taken.

Please accept my apologies for the delay in your room service order and for the inconvenience this caused.

Once again thank your for your feedback and I am sincerley sorry we did not meet your expectation but we will continue to work hard to meet the legitimate expectations of all our guests.

Regards, David Martens

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Newcastle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 8 nights in October. This place left a sour taste in our mouth and did but a downer what was a great honeymoon in Thailand. Agree with other reviews that the hotel is situated in a beautiful setting but the negatives did out way the positives.

Me and my wife got dropped off at the pier from arriving at Krabi airport. We waited for the hotels speedboat to take us to the hotel. When arriving at the hotel you have to get to dry land by a floating jetty. That was an experience and a half, no good for anyone with mobility problems, my wife went flying and could of easily injured herself.

The check in was far from smooth. It took us 2 hours before we were able to go to our room which I thought was unacceptable. When getting escorted to our room we were taken to the wrong one, after some confusion we were taken to the correct room. On walking to the room we walked past what I would describe as a large industrial generator which was situated next to our block. This blasted out black fumes and made a loud sound. This took the shine off the excitement when getting to our room as the only thing you could hear was the annoying generator, even when closing the room doors.

The room was spacious and in a private part of the hotel. The view was good but the sea was blocked by a number of palm trees. The room was starting to look a little tired and one of the electric blinds did not work on the balcony. The complimentary bubbly, fruit and cake was not in our room but arrived 20mins later and we waited another 45mins for our suitcases. At this time I felt far from relaxed.

We reported to reception about the generator and explained there was no way of relaxing and utilising the large balcony due to the noise so requested to move rooms. The staff were not very accommodating and just made a list of excuses. The next day we demanded to move rooms as we could no longer take the noise from the generator. We did move rooms which was much better, not as private but the views were better and No Noise.

The service in the hotel I can only explain as comical. We waited 45mins one night to get served our drinks. The organisation by most staff was non existent and this got very ignoring as the stay went on. We ate in each day when chilling round the pool and the food was nice. There is a 10% service charge and 7% government tax charge on everything. Ok we understand as we always tip but really a service charge when you go to the bar yourself?? We went into the main town on 4 occasions and the food and service was so much better!! We would have went out every night to Ao Nang but you were some what isolated as you can only get to the main town by either speed boat (advance booking) or tackle the monkey trail (at your own risk).

What was also disappointing with the interaction between a lot of the staff. The place definitely lacked atmosphere. On the night the place was so quiet and there was no entertainment.

There were some positives, for example, nice private beach, lovely swimming pool, jacuzzi on balcony, monkey's, massages.

We normally stay at budget hotels so we expected so much more here but the budget hotel we stayed in Turkey last year with regards to service won hands down.

Would I return....not from this experience. If the service massively improved and the place got some TLC then may be. However, I would think twice before booking.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Kskip

Thank you for sharing your comments following your honeymoon at our resort.

I was sorry to read we did not meet your expectation in all areas, but pleased you enjoyed some of the services and facilities we had on offer.

Unfortunately without more details I cannot explain why you would have to wait for 2 hours for your room unless you arrived before 2pm as check-in time is 2pm.

Please accept my apologies for the generator noise as this was due to a failure in the main high voltage cable which was repaired within 24 hours.

I acknowledge we experienced some issues with service during October, which I have mentioned on this forum due to us being much busier than expected, however these have been addressed with the arrival of new staff and some additional managers on the floor.

Once again I am sincerely sorry we did not meet your expectation on this occasion but we will continue to take this feedback on board and work towards meeting the expectation of all our guests.

Yours sincerely, David Martens
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I had a few concerns before going reading some of the reviews. But these little imperfections really did not matter. We had a fantastic time.

Premium Ocean View Rooms - great views, bid, nice L shape balcony, wonderful bed and bedding (one of the best we had), plentiful of water, yes the bottom of the bath was a little moudly but in the bigger context it didn't bother us. You have to consider the location of the hotel and the weather. The overall standard was very good.
Restaurant - we ate a few times in the Thai and always had a very good service and good warm food. We ate in the International once and that was very good too. Happy hour at the pool bar and the other bar was great. Cocktails were 2 for 1 @ around THB250 for both! Prices in general were very good, maybe expensive compared to eating outside but for a hotel it was very good. The Bhat Bonanza is well worth it.
Monkey Trail - great fun. a bit steep at some points but not dangerous and the second time you take it, it's just very easy. Takes about 15mins. Monkeys do not bother you unless you have visible food. We preferred the monkey trail as it's right in town and you have no time contraints like with the boat.
Monkeys - even if you don't see them on your balcony, do not assume that they will not visit at some point. We became complacent and lost the kids swim suits! But the monkeys had great fun with them!
Jetty - again great fun. Yes a bit bumpy but very wide and did not feel threatened! Perhaps those who are a little screamish might not enjoy it?

This is a very special hotel in terms of setting and access (by speed boat and monkey trail). The staff were all very nice and communication was absoutely fine. You can always communicate even if the language is not spoken perfectly! We easily disregarded all the small negatives as we were just happy to be in such a breath taking environment in a very decent hotel after all.

It might not suit everybody depending on what you are looking for but the girls (7 and 9) loved it! And so did we...!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear fabsoLondon

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

It was a pleasure to read your family enjoyed your overall stay and thank you for acknowledging the efforts of all the team.

Yes the setting, location and views are very special and I am pleased to see the wildlife around resort added to your overall experience, especially your daughters.

Once again thank your for your kind support and recognition and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Krabi.

Monaco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Me and my boyfriend choice this beautiful hotel for our last 3 days in Ao Nang. After exploring Krabi, Railay, and taking different day tours for 2 weeks, we thought it will be an excellent place just to chill, do nothing and enjoy. Being familiar with Centara Hua Hin, i thought this hotel will be as excellent as the other. Well..

The hotel is beautiful over all. Fantastic and quiet location, accessible only by speed boat or longtail boat. The rooms are big with big terraces. Clean. It has around 4 restaurants within the resort ( reasonably priced), breakfast is very nice too,2 swimming pools. The beach is clean and easily accessible.

The only thing that we were very disappointed was the service. Not even one day out of three, we were satisfied. On our first night, we went to Thai restaurant. We were lucky to get the full set table. The whole place looked a mess. The old-ish lady was running around like crazy taking the orders. It looked that she didnt know what she was doing and looked completely lost. After we finally ordered, we waited 15min for our drinks to arrive. Not to mention, that the food arrived 2min later and was cold :( There were around 4 tables in the room that needed to be cleaned after the people left. No body was taking care of that for long time, despite people waiting to be seated.

After paying a bill, we decided to have a little dessert in the room from their in room service. We ordered apple tart. It was 21.40h...it arrived 23.20h!!!!!! Seriously???? I was already in my pjs and half asleep!!!

My last drop was the next day. It was raining and for lunch we decided to order ....again in room service. My boyfriend was on the phone ordering a Phad Thai for me. He repeated twice no onion and spring onion. When the food arrived after 30min, guess what? It had onions and spring onions in it!!! And that was it! I called the person from the room service and literally called them incompetent. I do apologise, cause i was a bit rude. In any case, Phad Thai arrived the way i wanted within 7min. I was happy. I handed the dirty plates to the room cleaning lady...they were still laying on the floor next to our room till the time we left the next morning. 5 star hotel????

In any case. Me and my boyfriend work in the same field and we were observing what was going on a lot. This hotel needs a good person to manage it. It didnt seem that they have enough staff to run it. Or people who would speak well english. Even at the pool bar it was always a mess, cause everybody were doing what they wanted. Theres no organization, everybody's lost.

To sum up: beautiful hotel with a crappy service. First impression wow...and after it was getting a bit annoying as we were less and less satisfied.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear WorldMC

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed the resorts location, the room and the facilities but disappointed to read that our service did not meet your expectation.

I acknowledge that we have had some staffing issues over recent weeks, however we have addressed some of these by welcoming new managers to our food and beverage and guest services department which we are confident will address some of the service issues you mentioned.

Once again I am sorry we did not live up to your expectation or deliver the service you should expect of our hotel.

Yours sincerely, David Martens
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

My partner and I recently spent 4 nights at Grand Centara Beach Resort, Krabi. The resort was beautiful...the staff were friendly and as helpful as possible (there were few staff though that spoke english). The room was beautiful, spacious and well appointed, just as the photos had indicated.

The only problems we faced were on the day we arrived at the Had Nopparat Thara Pier we were greeted by a staff member advising the tide was too low for the shuttle boat to run until around 7pm that evening (approx 4 hours time). The only other option was to be dropped at their office just down the road and walk through the bush and along Monkey Beach. They took our luggage and delivered it later on. Luckily we took our carry-on luggage with us as we had a change of clothes so we could have a shower, change and enjoy a drink and dinner. Most of the other guests were still waiting around in reception until after 7.30pm for their luggage and still in the same clothes they had trekked through the water in earlier to get to the resort.

The only other problem we had was our room key was faulty. On 2 days in a row we had been out and returned to our room later on only for the key not to work. We had to then walk down to reception and advise our key was not working. They then had to reset and give us 2 new keys. Thankfully this only happened twice and not everyday.

The last negative was the food in the onsite Thai restaurant was not up to a quality I consider in line with a resort. I ordered a chicken fried rice and whilst eating the meal i found a couple of pieces of chicken that were not cooked properly, luckily i spotted these pieces and did not eat them avoiding serious food poisoning.

Overall the resort was great. The monkeys were a fantastic feature, especially the "Monkey Trail" it was the only way to get to Ao Nang other than the shuttle boat. We walked this trail a couple of times and there were monkeys everywhere. I probably wouldn't walk this trail at night though, even though it was well lit it was not built very well and the monkeys are literally everywhere and they will steal your sunglasses or hat off your head and take things out of your bag if you are not careful. I think it would be much easier for them to take things from you at night. Awesome resort, we booked through Expedia and got quite a good deal, definetely good value for money.

Dear DeeDee881

Thank you for sharing your comments following your stay with us last month.

We were pleased to read you enjoyed your stay overall and thank you for acknowledging the efforts of all the team.

I am sorry you arrived at low tide, which for other readers happens 1 or 2 days per month. During this time we cannot operate the boat (simply not enough water to get to the pier) therefore guests can either wait for the tide to rise or we can transport guests to the beach adjacent to the monkey trail to walk around or over to the resort.

Please accept my apologies for the issue you had with the key, we are still installing the new electronic keys in all rooms and we are experiencing some teething problems with both the hardware and software.

I will pass on your comment to the chef re the food in the thai restaurant.

For all readers of this forum please note that the monkeys do not occupy the monkey trail at night. Usually after sunset the monkeys retreat into the juggle and although they can be heard in the trees, they are rarely visible at night.

Once again thank your for taking the time to provide us with your experiences, your support and recognition and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Krabi.

kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Felt the urge to write this review whilst still here to hopefully cheer you up if your coming soon and have read the recent poor reviews.
Firstly, as everyone agrees, the setting is stunning and no pictures will ever do it justice.
As you will of course know, it is separated from the main town by a mountain. This is passable by the monkey trail, walking knee deep at low tide, the resort speedboat or long tail boat if necessary.
It this the ultimate in 5 star luxury, sadly not, but I have found they are trying hard to improve on the faults that have been listed.
Pool bar, some want an attentive waiter to be on hand for their every need whilst others want peace and to be left alone and I can see the struggle the staff face trying to identify the difference. Get their attention with a gesture and they are immediately at your service. Panic over.
Smile at the staff and they will beam one right back at you including the gardeners and the engineers.
In my first few days I have needed the services of the front desk and although the response isn't the fastest I have encountered, it has been professional, courteous and effective.
I upgraded to a one bed pool villa and must say it is a wonderful property with stunning views across the bay and had the misfortune of a air con malfunction last night.
The hotel manager attended at 2.00 and immediately moved us to another which today, Mark arranged for us to stay in for the rest of our holiday.
Of course, if the hotel was full, this scenario may not have had a pleasant conclusion but I'm not writing about what ifs.
The monkeys are great, not rabid, stealing handbags and young children.
An entire troop casually strolled by heading up the path as I headed down with babies wrapped around mothers and males chasing geckos, they barely glance at this everyday occurrence.
I've eaten in town every night so can't comment on the dining, however, I have found breakfast completely satisfying with plenty of fresh choices available.
I stayed late in town one evening and came back by long tail boat for 600 baht. They hang around the corner beach in town and although expensive we loved the experience and will do it again.
There are some minor works still ongoing around the place, painting the walkways and laying some slabs here and there but nothing I've seen that should disrupt your stay.
Buy your baht in town, you get a better deal. I got 47 at Heathrow and they're giving 49/50 here.
The poor pound rate is making Thailand far more expensive to visit and here is no exception, but eat in a Thai restaurant as opposed to a fancy all singing and the difference is huge.
I'm sure you know why your coming here and I honestly believe that if your expectations are of a six senses experience you may feel a little let down but that said, this is a stunning location and that certainly allows for a few minors. No need to go to phi phi when your staying in this bay with its privacy. A beach with no hawkers, heavenly.
Do be prepared for the gauntlet in town of the tailors, they need a firm hand. The restaurants aren't quite as bad.
Anyway, I hope this helps and you have a fantastic stay here

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear pipinpipin

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort and I sincerely appreciate your candid and positive comments.

I was please to read that Mark at the front desk and K Ball were able to accommodate you in our Pool Villas, which do have great views.

I have to agree with you in regards to the staff, Thai people are taught to value respect through some ones age, their position or they way they are treated. Therefore I would encourage many readers of this forum that if they want to get the best out of their Thailand holiday, learn some of the values of Thai people and you will have an amazing visit to Thailand.

best regards, David Martens
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Reading some of the reviews about Centara we had our concerns but this resort exceeded our best expectations. Arriving on the floating pontoon which was much wider and sturdier than we had been led to believe, we were led up the hill to the most fantastic room overlooking the ocean (Deluxe Ocean View) The room was huge with a big bathroom,king size bed and a balcony which enabled us to take in the magnificent views. There were no signs of the tiredness we had read about. The resort is sitting in a national park so there is alot of wildlife around, we saw a monitor lizard, a squirrel, lots of birdlife and macaques monkeys. We didn't see Monkeys on our first day but by the second day they were everywhere. Alot of tourists were feeding or patting them which I wouldn't recommend, but if you follow the rules of keeping your rooms locked then they are harmless. They were only around in the mornings so it was never a big concern. The monkey trail to Aonang is hard work at first and the humidity results in sweating but after a couple of goes it gets easier and it is great fun and good exercise. We later stayed in Aonang but regretted not staying at Centara longer as the access was so easy. The restaurants were all great quality and gave us variety and the mango Martini's were delicious. The service which I read alot of negatives about, certainly wasn;t the best we had experienced in thailand but it wasn't bad. Like most big hotels (There is approx. 192 rooms at Centara) there is alot going on but we always got assistance when we needed it and found our room was always kept clean and tidy. The only negative was that Free Wifi was only available in the lobby or the library. For access in your rooms you are charged approx. 80 TBH a day which isn't much. Overall we had a fantastic stay and will return again. The views (amazing sunsets also) and rooms were the best we had experienced in Krabi.

Room Tip: Premium Deluxe Ocean View Room was superb. Best views of the ocean and great size.
Dear Scott R

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed your stay and thank you for acknowledging the efforts of all the team.

The wildlife around and within the resort is truly unique and I am please this added to your overall experience.

Once again thank your for your support and recognition and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Krabi.

Kind regards, David Martens

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!