“Wonderful Stay at Centara Beach Resort, Krabi” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi

You added Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi to your Saves list
Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   396-396/1 Moo 2, Ao Nang, Ao Nang, Krabi Town 81180, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free Wi-Fi Free ABF
Ranked #5 of 92 Hotels in Ao Nang
Brisbane, Australia
“Wonderful Stay at Centara Beach Resort, Krabi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

My partner and I recently spent 4 nights at Grand Centara Beach Resort, Krabi. The resort was beautiful...the staff were friendly and as helpful as possible (there were few staff though that spoke english). The room was beautiful, spacious and well appointed, just as the photos had indicated.

The only problems we faced were on the day we arrived at the Had Nopparat Thara Pier we were greeted by a staff member advising the tide was too low for the shuttle boat to run until around 7pm that evening (approx 4 hours time). The only other option was to be dropped at their office just down the road and walk through the bush and along Monkey Beach. They took our luggage and delivered it later on. Luckily we took our carry-on luggage with us as we had a change of clothes so we could have a shower, change and enjoy a drink and dinner. Most of the other guests were still waiting around in reception until after 7.30pm for their luggage and still in the same clothes they had trekked through the water in earlier to get to the resort.

The only other problem we had was our room key was faulty. On 2 days in a row we had been out and returned to our room later on only for the key not to work. We had to then walk down to reception and advise our key was not working. They then had to reset and give us 2 new keys. Thankfully this only happened twice and not everyday.

The last negative was the food in the onsite Thai restaurant was not up to a quality I consider in line with a resort. I ordered a chicken fried rice and whilst eating the meal i found a couple of pieces of chicken that were not cooked properly, luckily i spotted these pieces and did not eat them avoiding serious food poisoning.

Overall the resort was great. The monkeys were a fantastic feature, especially the "Monkey Trail" it was the only way to get to Ao Nang other than the shuttle boat. We walked this trail a couple of times and there were monkeys everywhere. I probably wouldn't walk this trail at night though, even though it was well lit it was not built very well and the monkeys are literally everywhere and they will steal your sunglasses or hat off your head and take things out of your bag if you are not careful. I think it would be much easier for them to take things from you at night. Awesome resort, we booked through Expedia and got quite a good deal, definetely good value for money.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear DeeDee881

Thank you for sharing your comments following your stay with us last month.

We were pleased to read you enjoyed your stay overall and thank you for acknowledging the efforts of all the team.

I am sorry you arrived at low tide, which for other readers happens 1 or 2 days per month. During this time we cannot operate the boat (simply not enough water to get to the pier) therefore guests can either wait for the tide to rise or we can transport guests to the beach adjacent to the monkey trail to walk around or over to the resort.

Please accept my apologies for the issue you had with the key, we are still installing the new electronic keys in all rooms and we are experiencing some teething problems with both the hardware and software.

I will pass on your comment to the chef re the food in the thai restaurant.

For all readers of this forum please note that the monkeys do not occupy the monkey trail at night. Usually after sunset the monkeys retreat into the juggle and although they can be heard in the trees, they are rarely visible at night.

Once again thank your for taking the time to provide us with your experiences, your support and recognition and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Krabi.

Kind regards, David Martens

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Felt the urge to write this review whilst still here to hopefully cheer you up if your coming soon and have read the recent poor reviews.
Firstly, as everyone agrees, the setting is stunning and no pictures will ever do it justice.
As you will of course know, it is separated from the main town by a mountain. This is passable by the monkey trail, walking knee deep at low tide, the resort speedboat or long tail boat if necessary.
It this the ultimate in 5 star luxury, sadly not, but I have found they are trying hard to improve on the faults that have been listed.
Pool bar, some want an attentive waiter to be on hand for their every need whilst others want peace and to be left alone and I can see the struggle the staff face trying to identify the difference. Get their attention with a gesture and they are immediately at your service. Panic over.
Smile at the staff and they will beam one right back at you including the gardeners and the engineers.
In my first few days I have needed the services of the front desk and although the response isn't the fastest I have encountered, it has been professional, courteous and effective.
I upgraded to a one bed pool villa and must say it is a wonderful property with stunning views across the bay and had the misfortune of a air con malfunction last night.
The hotel manager attended at 2.00 and immediately moved us to another which today, Mark arranged for us to stay in for the rest of our holiday.
Of course, if the hotel was full, this scenario may not have had a pleasant conclusion but I'm not writing about what ifs.
The monkeys are great, not rabid, stealing handbags and young children.
An entire troop casually strolled by heading up the path as I headed down with babies wrapped around mothers and males chasing geckos, they barely glance at this everyday occurrence.
I've eaten in town every night so can't comment on the dining, however, I have found breakfast completely satisfying with plenty of fresh choices available.
I stayed late in town one evening and came back by long tail boat for 600 baht. They hang around the corner beach in town and although expensive we loved the experience and will do it again.
There are some minor works still ongoing around the place, painting the walkways and laying some slabs here and there but nothing I've seen that should disrupt your stay.
Buy your baht in town, you get a better deal. I got 47 at Heathrow and they're giving 49/50 here.
The poor pound rate is making Thailand far more expensive to visit and here is no exception, but eat in a Thai restaurant as opposed to a fancy all singing and the difference is huge.
I'm sure you know why your coming here and I honestly believe that if your expectations are of a six senses experience you may feel a little let down but that said, this is a stunning location and that certainly allows for a few minors. No need to go to phi phi when your staying in this bay with its privacy. A beach with no hawkers, heavenly.
Do be prepared for the gauntlet in town of the tailors, they need a firm hand. The restaurants aren't quite as bad.
Anyway, I hope this helps and you have a fantastic stay here

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear pipinpipin

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort and I sincerely appreciate your candid and positive comments.

I was please to read that Mark at the front desk and K Ball were able to accommodate you in our Pool Villas, which do have great views.

I have to agree with you in regards to the staff, Thai people are taught to value respect through some ones age, their position or they way they are treated. Therefore I would encourage many readers of this forum that if they want to get the best out of their Thailand holiday, learn some of the values of Thai people and you will have an amazing visit to Thailand.

Once again thank your for your kind support and recognition and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Krabi.

best regards, David Martens
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Reading some of the reviews about Centara we had our concerns but this resort exceeded our best expectations. Arriving on the floating pontoon which was much wider and sturdier than we had been led to believe, we were led up the hill to the most fantastic room overlooking the ocean (Deluxe Ocean View) The room was huge with a big bathroom,king size bed and a balcony which enabled us to take in the magnificent views. There were no signs of the tiredness we had read about. The resort is sitting in a national park so there is alot of wildlife around, we saw a monitor lizard, a squirrel, lots of birdlife and macaques monkeys. We didn't see Monkeys on our first day but by the second day they were everywhere. Alot of tourists were feeding or patting them which I wouldn't recommend, but if you follow the rules of keeping your rooms locked then they are harmless. They were only around in the mornings so it was never a big concern. The monkey trail to Aonang is hard work at first and the humidity results in sweating but after a couple of goes it gets easier and it is great fun and good exercise. We later stayed in Aonang but regretted not staying at Centara longer as the access was so easy. The restaurants were all great quality and gave us variety and the mango Martini's were delicious. The service which I read alot of negatives about, certainly wasn;t the best we had experienced in thailand but it wasn't bad. Like most big hotels (There is approx. 192 rooms at Centara) there is alot going on but we always got assistance when we needed it and found our room was always kept clean and tidy. The only negative was that Free Wifi was only available in the lobby or the library. For access in your rooms you are charged approx. 80 TBH a day which isn't much. Overall we had a fantastic stay and will return again. The views (amazing sunsets also) and rooms were the best we had experienced in Krabi.

Room Tip: Premium Deluxe Ocean View Room was superb. Best views of the ocean and great size.
Dear Scott R

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed your stay and thank you for acknowledging the efforts of all the team.

The wildlife around and within the resort is truly unique and I am please this added to your overall experience.

Once again thank your for your support and recognition and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Krabi.

Kind regards, David Martens
Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Yes!! This hotel is beautiful. We stayed here for part of our honeymoon. It's a five star hotel being ran by 2 star management and service. What a shame. During our 5 day stay, we encountered multiple problems and when I brought them to management's attention I had no assistance. I probably would have gotten better assistance from the monkeys that were on my porch every morning! From the second my boat brought me to the dock upon arrival to the absolute last second I left the dock, 90% of the time I dealt with the staff it was a horrible experience. It's mind boggling how there is no customer service whatsoever. I have more than a few reasons to convince you not to stay here but my goal is not to complain but to urge you to please think twice before booking. Don't say we didn't warn you! If you don't believe me, just read the other recent reviews. Not reviews you want to read coming from an alleged 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: Even if I suggest a room there's a good chance you won't get what you request. You get what...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Tiff-n-Tommy

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

I was disappointed to read we did not meet your expectations and I am sorry that the manager you spoke too was unable to resolve your issues.

If you are able to provide more details with who you spoke too I would be keen to follow up. You can contact me direct on the hotels main email address ckbr@chr.co.th

Your sincerely, David Martens
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

We have just returned following a 7 night stay , we are a mature couple celebrating our recent marriage ..We loved this place and would return tomorrow
Our room " ocean view deluxe" was spacious with beautiful view over the bay .Monkeys did appear every morning between 0700- 0800 , but as advised we kept our door locked ..and hence had no problems

Breakfast was amazing, with so many different choices ..could not have asked for better ..Service was great ..nothing too much trouble for any of the staff..always smiling and greeting us with a hello ..

Restaurants..yes as mentioned they are on the expensive side ..so we only ate at the Thai one night and went into Ao Nang on other nights..We did do the " Seafood " buffet night which is held Tuesday night..great value 990 baht / person ..freshest seafood..including lobster ..

Access..as per other reviews..it would be difficult for older people or those with very young children..but we are of average fitness and conquered the monkey trail every day and our best time was 8 minutes ..several times we returned from town via the beach at low tide which took around 5 minutes

We had no trouble with any tranfers to and from the resort ..but we did pay for tranfers prior to our departure from Sydney with our travel agent ..One tip would be ..change your money at the registered " money exchange " places in Ao Nang ..much better exchange rate than we got from ANZ Bank in Sydney ..

Finally we wish to mention a few staff who were exceptional and made our stay even more pleasurable ..May and Nouch at breakfast ..gorgeous girls..always smiling and made every effort to attend to any needs, Bua our house keeping lady ..once again ..smiling and nothing too much trouble despite how hard she worked every day and finally Chart at the Discovery desk ..once again ..smiling and helpful at all times

Overall ..we would highly recommend this resort ..all staff are worthy of praise..can't wait to retun

Room Tip: Ocean View
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Chris236-12

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent honeymoon at our resort.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay overall and it is such pleasure to receive compliments about our staff and thank you for specifically mentioning K. May and Nouch at breakfast, K Bua in housekeeping and K Chart at our tour desk. These comments have been passed to them and they are greatly appreciated.

I am also glad the visit by the monkeys added to your overall experience.

best regards, David Martens
Bangkok, Thailand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I completely agree with the last reviewer: the location is beautiful and the breakfast is good, but that's where the positives end. The service is pitiful, with an emphasis on SLOW.

On the transfer there from the airport, our driver told us "5 minutes" and then hopped on a boat that was already full, sped away, and reappeared 40 minutes later. Upon arrival at the hotel, they had us sitting around the restaurant for another hour while they were running credit cards, etc. Other hotels send you straight to your room and let you sort out the paperwork later at your own convenience. When I asked why it was taking so long to check in, the staff told us "we have too many people coming at one time." Wouldn't that always be the case when groups of people arrive by boat at set times? The luggage took yet another hour to arrive to our rooms. I finally went back down the hill to collect it myself. The staff said "sorry, we have many rooms to take care of."

The beachside restaurant service was non-existent; we had to walk up to the bar to order our own food and drinks each time, and even then we were generally ignored. Eventually one server asked me why I was ordering at the bar. When I explained that nobody was waiting on us, she got visibly annoyed and very rudely exclaimed "we have too many tables to take care of." The service in the dinner restaurant was friendlier but still pitifully slow, despite there being only a few tables occupied. On our way back to the room, I asked the receptionist for some extra bottles of the water (as they only provide two small ones in the room.) She said ok, they would send them up to our room. I told her that was not necessary, I could carry them myself, but she insisted that she must send them to the room. That was at 9 p.m. They eventually arrived at 4 a.m. after another phone call.

Based on the service and the comments of the employees there, I'm guessing they are way under-staffed. We also received no reply when we sent an email detailing our arrival information and special requests for the room.

The hotel itself also needs some work. The rooms are designed in such a way that you always have to walk up an additional flight of steps and then walk back down to your own floor. Many of the light bulbs were burnt out or missing, which made the task quite daunting at night. This is particularly challenging for older people or if carrying children. The pool was much smaller than it appears in the photos and the tile glazing is falling apart in the top half.

To sum up, it's not an ideal place to be isolated with expensive food and drinks, poor service and inconvenient amenities. You would be better off staying at Railay beach where there are more options for dining and more accessible transportation back to the Ao Nang (main beach town).

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Whirled_Traveler74

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

Please accept my apologies that we did not meet your expectation.

Unfortunately we did not expect the hotel to be so busy at this time of year and therefore were under staffed as mention.

I appreciate your comments about going straight to the room however we can only provide guests with their room from 2pm, after the previous guests have checked out. The staff has to take copies of passports, visa or IDs as this is a legal requirement and I am sorry if the staff did not explain this to you or it took longer than you expected.

I acknowledge we were understaffed in many areas and have taken measure to rectify this.

Yes our location is unique and that is the number one reason why guests choose our resort.

Once again I appreciate your feedback and we will continue to work on our service so that we can meet the expectation of all our guests.

Yours sincerely, David Martens
Bangkok, Thailand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

An absolutely amazing location and view - amongst the best I have ever seen. Picture perfect. And, unfortunately, that's where the positives come to an end.
I've read the GM's comments below, and each time someone raises an issue, there seems to be an excuse - and perhaps that's why there continues to be a trend of the same comments, time and time again....
So, here we go, yet again:
The "lobby" in town wasn't staffed when we arrived, and after 15 minutes of just sitting there in a vacant building, I finally went behind the front desk to pick up a phone to dial the hotel for assistance. A guy came flying up in a van about 3 minutes later. You then take his van to the dock. You then wait at the dock for their boat. The entire process from arriving at the lobby in town to the lobby at the actual hotel took over an hour :(
The speedboat trip was at night, during a storm. I asked where the life jackets were, and the staff said "don't worry - we won't crash" - nice :( And, no life jackets anywhere to be seen. I told him that my wife was pregnant, and he said he would drive a bit slower - but he went full throttle thru rough seas. The other people on the boat looked like they were about to throw up. Really unsafe.
Then, the infamous dock. It was pouring rain when we arrive to their floating dock. No one from the hotel met us with umbrellas or anything. And, I'm not kidding when I say that when the waves roll thru there the dock goes lower and then higher than your head along with the wave. The hotel just sort of left us all out there - with a 100 meter walk to shore, in the pouring rain, on a moving ramp that looked like an adventure course on steroids. I'm a fit, middle aged guy, but I bet that more than half of the tourists there couldn't do this. It's crazy, unsafe, and the hotel just sort of looked at us like - what the #$%& do you want us to do?
We then walked thru the pouring rain to the lobby and waited about 30 minutes for check in. On the way to the room, the lady brought me to the bag storage room, and I pointed out my bag, and they wrote my room number on it.
We were finally brought to our room. The bags never arrived, and I called after about 1 hour. Finally, a guy showed with, of course, the wrong bag. I had to go with him in a golf cart back to the bag room, and there, of course, was my bag with my room number written in a huge magic marker, on the bag. The guy took the bag, and then drove me back to the room, where I unloaded the bag and he followed me. Then, he refused to leave until he got a tip. The balls on this guy!!!! 1.5 hours to get my bag, deliver the wrong bag, make me come and find my bag, make me carry the bag, and then he literally refused to leave until I gave him 20 THB.
The hotel then brought a fruit plate to the room. It had mold on the fruit. :( I called and after 1.5 hours they brought a new fruit plate. At this point, I was so sick of this place.
Upon departure, I called 1 hour before our boat was to depart so they could get my bag. They never showed despite me calling 2 times. Finally, with 5 minutes until the boat, I carried my own bag down to the dock.
It wasn't raining on the way back, and the dock was a bit smoother, but still not for the feint of heart. The boat ride back was full throttle again, with no life jackets, but at least the seas were smooth.
As stated, the place is beautiful, the rooms are nice. But, the place is being run like a 1 star holiday inn. Too bad, much too bad :(

Dear scott123454321

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

Please accept my apologies that we did not meet your expectation.

When I write a response to this forum it is to thank the guest for the feedback or explain to other readers what they may expect and not an excuse. I am sure you can appreciate there are many other guests on this forum that have had a very different experience to you.

You mentioned you arrive in the lobby of our town office and it was not staffed. This is correct as this office has been closed for more than 4 years. So I cannot explain why you would have expected someone to be there. At the time of reservations our reservations agents supply guests with instructions to the boat pier along with the boat schedule and ask guest to let us know what time they will arrive. If guests choose to self drive we can arrange for them to park their car at our Ao Nang office and then take them to the boat, but this needs to be confirmed in advance.

There are life jackets on every boat either under the seat or attached to the seat rail. We have recently instructed our boat crew to advise guests to wear life jackets on all boats however guests are still refusing to wear them.

I am sincerely sorry for your poor experience with your arrival and the lack of luggage service but without further details I cannot investigate why this happened.

Yours sincerely, David Martens

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi? Share your experiences!