“A perfect stay” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   85/2 Moo 2, Ao Nang, Krabi Town 81000, Thailand   |
Ranked #56 of 84 hotels in Ao Nang
“A perfect stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

This quiet little place is absolutely beautyful. The resort is close enough to the beach to walk there daily (around 10min), still distant enough from the main street hazzle. The staff couldn't been more friendly and most of them understood english well enough. The breakfast to the porch was also great. The only downsize I could think of was the shower with water (mostly) freezing cold or for a little while too hot.. And perhaps the rat or snake appearing to the backyard bathroom wasn't the most pleasant suprise. If I'd be picky, there could have been more sunchairs by the pool (mostly because other guests seemed to reserve their seats even while they were away) and the bartender took her time to prepare the drinks. Otherthan that, I could easily recommend this lovely place with its great views to the mountains from the pool.

Suomeksi: Aivan mahtava paikka. Upean näköalan lisäksi todella ystävällinen henkilökunta. Jos oma asenne on kohdallaan, suosittelen!

Stayed December 2012

226 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Thai first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Had a great stay at this hotel and would recommend anyone to stay here. From the outside the hotel doesn't look like anything special but once you walk in you see that it's very nice. The bathroom is on the outside and we knew that going in, it's not unusual to see a gecko or other insects while showering and such but knowing that beforehand and going in with an open mind and you will be fine. The bathrooms are connected to the other rooms bathrooms so you can hear people going in and out of theirs but the people we were beside were quiet so no worries there. The pool is great and refreshing with an amazing view!!! The staff are very helpful. About 15 minute walk to the beach and many restaurants and shops around.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ballina NSW Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We recently stayed for 10 days. This was our second time at The Cliff. It is a small hotel which caters mainly for couples ,which is what we were looking for. We booked the suite as we found last year the bungalow too small for a long stay. The suite is a large room with an equally large bathroom, it is tastefully decorated Thai style and extremely comfortable. The suite is surrounded by a pond with Koi in it. The staff are friendly and helpful. The small restaurant has a diverse menue Thai ,European and Western .The meals we had were fresh and delicious .Presently there is construction on either side of the hotel which disallows lounging by the pool all day, from late afternoon however the hotel retains its quietness. A lovely boutique hotel.

Room Tip: Book the suite
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Firstly, let me admit that the only reason I ended up staying at the cliff was because I made a booking at the wrong hotel, however, I was pretty glad that I did. After reading all the past reviews this hotel really deserves more credit the it had received.
1) service staff were amazing. Our shower choked on the first day (it is a semi outdoor shower so expect leaves to block the drainage), informed staff on the way out, 25 mins later when we returned, they had cleared it for us. Woke up in the morning after a downpour, staff was waiting on hand with a towel to dry up my scooter.
2) Reports of creepy crawlies? Well this is a forest themed resort so do expect a few bugs, mainly mozzies, but hotel has done it's part by providing a mosquito repellent diffuser and moaquito incense coils are available at 7-eleven for THB18. All in all, we only faced 3 lizards, a few flies, 2 spiders and 1 big black ant which came to say bye while we were checking out.
3) The rooms.
The room was smaller then your average "branded" resorts but that being said, it was still comfortable and cozy and not as appealing or run down as some reviews had mentioned. Bathroom was alright, a little old but not as run down as most would think (I've seen worse in hotels located within a city). Again, because it's semi outdoors, expect leaves and the insects but it's not like theres an infestation, just the occasional visits of flies.
As for the safety issues, doors can be bolted top and bottom, locked with a key and latched from the inside while ure asleep (bathroom as well) and as long as it's latched and locked before your head out, doors are not easily opened. Privacy curtains are sufficient as well, considering that the room is dim and you're not able to look in from the outside.

Overall:
Given the past reviews, this room was a lot better then expected. We paid S$61 a night with full breakfast so do take into consideration that this isn't a 5-6 star Ritz.
Overall, with exeption to the lack of shelter when it rains, this hotel was a nice getaway, near enough to the main Ao Nang area but far enough to avoid all music and noise from the bars and clubs that have opened up along the stretch facing the sea. Pool and deck chairs were old but then, given that you're visiting Krabi, a day trip to the islands for a snorkel in the open waters will suffice.

• Stayed July 2013
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I booked the hotel via e-mail since 6months back, and had to change the dates forward by a day, the hotel gladly allowed me to change without extra charges, however, upon arriving, there was nobody to pick us up. Luckily i wrote down the hotel's contact number, and called in. The driver arrived in less than 10min. Friendly and nice driver.

Upon reaching the resort, the exterior looked run down with construction going on at both sides. despite the bad condition, we arrived with full smiles and immediate iced cold welcome drink served.

checking in was smooth and pleasant, next we were shown to our room, small and cosy. We liked it, however, the staff there has minimal knowledge of english, thus it was bad communication.

we rested well and went out, regardless if you were checking in a not or eating at the restaurant bar, the staff were full of smiles and some would even bow or nod their heads slightly to acknowledge us as guest.

We returned near midnight, and the staff ran out of their resting area just to acknowledge our return. We really felt welcomed. however upon reaching our room, we realised that our toilet lights were not working, and it was already midnight, however the staff reacted promptly to change a room for us immediately.

As the resort has a nature concept, there are bound to be mosquitoes. I would recommend spraying insecticide or mosquito reppellant on the doors of the room. even so, we were visited by a cricket after our bath.

The beds there was nice and good, we had a good night's sleep, but woke up to be welcomed by a fat millipede right beside our bed and lizards in the toilet.

till the third day, we were welcomed by slugs in toilets and dragonflies.

However, the restaurant serves really good food. Would recommend continental breakfast.

Lastly, location of the hotel was good, quiet as it is a little away from the noisy shopping area, but have good food around, the yellow sign board restaurant just less than 10shops away was FABULOUS!!! and never ever eat at AREE-BABA that is a tad expensive for thai food.

I would recommend room 201-204 beside the pool as it is easy to get to your room.
AND! only stay here if u can stand the sight of creepy crawlies.
overall the stay here was good!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

This was our second stay here, the last being in 2006. It was just the same. The standard hadn't deteriorated at all. The room was great, an outside bathroom with waterfall shower is just lovely. The air con works and is on tap. The pool is lovely with the rooms arranged around it and in the gardens. They grow flowers which have a soporific effect. The only downside about the pool is that there are no steps to get out which resulted in my partner having to haul me out as my arms aren't strong enough. It was funny but if you aren't fit this might limit swimming activities. There is free wifi. Laundry services which are cheap and quick on the doorstep. We had the best meal in the restaurant. That's saying something because we have eaten all over south east asia but their chicken with holy basil is THE BEST! It's fairly priced too. Just down the road there are lots of great places to eat and drink too. There's a little bit of a walk down to the town but you get used to that. Tuk tuks are cheap if you have shopping or are tired from trips etc. Down by the beach you can get a long tail to Railey beach which is a must do. The resort booked us tickets to Phi Phi, the driver picked us up on time and everything went great.
The mattress was nice and firm and there is a safe. Security patrols so you feel very safe. Ao Nang is pretty safe and even for a woman alone you would be safe if you took the normal precautions. The breakfast is wonderful. You choose the night before and they deliver at the the time you requested to your table outside your room. It's like a luxury service. The staff are really friendly and attentive. I couldn't fault it really. Suggestions for managetment might be a mural on the white wall that the bedroom looks onto, it's a blank canvas and could be prettied up with paintings or more plants. This by no means detracts from the overall ambience though. It's a great place to stay!! If we are in Krabi again we might go to stay for a third time!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are about the same. The outdoor bathroom is an absolute joy!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I booked this stay through AirAsiaGo for 4D3D from 13th - 16th April (during the Songkran festival). The reasons I choose this place was because of the beautiful resort photographs, the lush greens and cliffs (even has mists) that surrounds this place. I read reviews (good & bad) and didn't really think much of it until I arrived at the place. Here's my comments:

1. Misleading Photographs
The place do not look like the photographs, maybe when was new but old and rundown now. There's no mist or beautiful cliffs to be seen. Some pics are taken from an angle that no human being is able to be there. The place is small, centered around the pool full of mosquitos.

2. What Bungalows?
There's no bungalows or villas here. The moment you open the door and squeeze through you're already at your bedroom. It's small and cozy but full of mosquitos flying in and out whenever you open the door. The mosquito net over the bed helps. The bed is okay although not that comfortable. There's no moldy smell like other reviews. There's no coffee/tea making stations. There's a mini bar, safebox, wardrobe & a tv with poor signal (which we watch every night because there's nothing else to do in this resort).

3. Breakfast? Wifi?
I top up to have full breakfast everyday. I'm not sure what AirAsia meant by FULL Breakfast. I paid extra RM200 (2,000 baht) for full breakfast + wifi connection for 3days. Upon arriving I found out that wifi is FREE and one need not pay for it. Breakfast came with a choice of American, Continental, Local or Asian. Whatever you choose, you'll get a plate of fruits, fruit juice, coffee, tea or hot chocolate. I had American Breakfast for 3 days outside my "bungalow" with mosquitos attacking me. The toasted bread was stiff and cold, not appetizing at all. The bacon was cold and tasteless. Eggs were okay, I enjoyed the omelet eggs the most (there's no filling, only egg!). It wasn't worth paying the extra RM200 (2,000 bath) I could've have eaten breakfast outside for less than 100baht. I've also been conned into paying for WIFI which was unstable throughout my stay.

4. The Pool
Simple pool that's not appealing. The water is not as blue/green as the photographs. The surroundings were old and rundown. Every morning there's someone cleaning the pool but one look made me not want to swim at all even though I brought my swimwear.

5. Outdoor Bathroom
I was looking forward to the bathroom since reviews were praising it despite the small room and lack of amenities from this resort. My "bungalow" was the last one from the pool so the bathroom was overlooking some other "neighbor" below. I could see a guard hut, their house and their porch from showering. I wonder if they could see me back? If I'm tall enough I can even peek at the next "bungalow"'s bathroom. I can already hear them talking (let's not discuss what they were talking about). The hot water was uncontrollable and it off by itself. The place was full of mosquitos! the walls were dirty. Poorly lit, it was scary bathing there, I didn't enjoy one bit showering or washing my face.

6. Service is alright
Receptionist was helpful and they were there until 10pm at night. They speak English and could guide us to nearby places we wanted to go. A guard is always around at the entrance sitting after 10pm. This is a boutique hotel so there's no 24hrs customer service. However airport transfer is not free and we needed to bath 1,400 baht for airport return transfer (800baht for one way). We got a taxi outside for 600 baht only without bargaining.

7. Doors Not Secure Enough
It was difficult to unlock and lock the "bungalow" door! My first time I was horrified the locked door could open out if you pull it. Then we found out that the door top hinges were not locked, so we made sure to locked it, preventing it from being pulled out. Even with that, anyone with enough strength can pull it out again. It's much too flimsy to secure our room so we made sure to locked our valuables in the safe box.

9. There's no privacy.
Curtains were barely covering the glass window overlooking a small garden with poorly built stilts (I can see the neighbor from here and from my bathroom). It was more like a individual cloth covering each see through section of the "bungalow".

10. Worth the Stay?
Despite all that, we manage to stayed on for the entire duration. Our holiday came as a package from Air Asia so I do not think refunds were possible. I believe the place would receive much better reviews if they had lower their price. At the reception counter, the daily rate was 4,500 bath! (RM450 a night). It's not worth the price to stay. If they were a 1 - 2 star hotel with under 2,000 baht rate, it would receive plenty of good reviews for what they're offering. I will not pay more than RM200 for this place if it wasn't because of AirAsia promotion package. It was a good thing it's situated after McDonalds & nearby 7-11 at the main road, 10-15mins walks away from the beach.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Cliff Ao Nang Resort? Share your experiences!