“Should be given more credit then it rec” 4 of 5 stars

You added The Cliff Ao Nang Resort to your Saves list
The Cliff Ao Nang Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   85/2 Moo 2, Ao Nang, Krabi Town 81000, Thailand   |
Ranked #75 of 92 Hotels in Ao Nang
“Should be given more credit then it rec”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Firstly, let me admit that the only reason I ended up staying at the cliff was because I made a booking at the wrong hotel, however, I was pretty glad that I did. After reading all the past reviews this hotel really deserves more credit the it had received.
1) service staff were amazing. Our shower choked on the first day (it is a semi outdoor shower so expect leaves to block the drainage), informed staff on the way out, 25 mins later when we returned, they had cleared it for us. Woke up in the morning after a downpour, staff was waiting on hand with a towel to dry up my scooter.
2) Reports of creepy crawlies? Well this is a forest themed resort so do expect a few bugs, mainly mozzies, but hotel has done it's part by providing a mosquito repellent diffuser and moaquito incense coils are available at 7-eleven for THB18. All in all, we only faced 3 lizards, a few flies, 2 spiders and 1 big black ant which came to say bye while we were checking out.
3) The rooms.
The room was smaller then your average "branded" resorts but that being said, it was still comfortable and cozy and not as appealing or run down as some reviews had mentioned. Bathroom was alright, a little old but not as run down as most would think (I've seen worse in hotels located within a city). Again, because it's semi outdoors, expect leaves and the insects but it's not like theres an infestation, just the occasional visits of flies.
As for the safety issues, doors can be bolted top and bottom, locked with a key and latched from the inside while ure asleep (bathroom as well) and as long as it's latched and locked before your head out, doors are not easily opened. Privacy curtains are sufficient as well, considering that the room is dim and you're not able to look in from the outside.

Overall:
Given the past reviews, this room was a lot better then expected. We paid S$61 a night with full breakfast so do take into consideration that this isn't a 5-6 star Ritz.
Overall, with exeption to the lack of shelter when it rains, this hotel was a nice getaway, near enough to the main Ao Nang area but far enough to avoid all music and noise from the bars and clubs that have opened up along the stretch facing the sea. Pool and deck chairs were old but then, given that you're visiting Krabi, a day trip to the islands for a snorkel in the open waters will suffice.

• Stayed July 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I booked the hotel via e-mail since 6months back, and had to change the dates forward by a day, the hotel gladly allowed me to change without extra charges, however, upon arriving, there was nobody to pick us up. Luckily i wrote down the hotel's contact number, and called in. The driver arrived in less than 10min. Friendly and nice driver.

Upon reaching the resort, the exterior looked run down with construction going on at both sides. despite the bad condition, we arrived with full smiles and immediate iced cold welcome drink served.

checking in was smooth and pleasant, next we were shown to our room, small and cosy. We liked it, however, the staff there has minimal knowledge of english, thus it was bad communication.

we rested well and went out, regardless if you were checking in a not or eating at the restaurant bar, the staff were full of smiles and some would even bow or nod their heads slightly to acknowledge us as guest.

We returned near midnight, and the staff ran out of their resting area just to acknowledge our return. We really felt welcomed. however upon reaching our room, we realised that our toilet lights were not working, and it was already midnight, however the staff reacted promptly to change a room for us immediately.

As the resort has a nature concept, there are bound to be mosquitoes. I would recommend spraying insecticide or mosquito reppellant on the doors of the room. even so, we were visited by a cricket after our bath.

The beds there was nice and good, we had a good night's sleep, but woke up to be welcomed by a fat millipede right beside our bed and lizards in the toilet.

till the third day, we were welcomed by slugs in toilets and dragonflies.

However, the restaurant serves really good food. Would recommend continental breakfast.

Lastly, location of the hotel was good, quiet as it is a little away from the noisy shopping area, but have good food around, the yellow sign board restaurant just less than 10shops away was FABULOUS!!! and never ever eat at AREE-BABA that is a tad expensive for thai food.

I would recommend room 201-204 beside the pool as it is easy to get to your room.
AND! only stay here if u can stand the sight of creepy crawlies.
overall the stay here was good!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

This was our second stay here, the last being in 2006. It was just the same. The standard hadn't deteriorated at all. The room was great, an outside bathroom with waterfall shower is just lovely. The air con works and is on tap. The pool is lovely with the rooms arranged around it and in the gardens. They grow flowers which have a soporific effect. The only downside about the pool is that there are no steps to get out which resulted in my partner having to haul me out as my arms aren't strong enough. It was funny but if you aren't fit this might limit swimming activities. There is free wifi. Laundry services which are cheap and quick on the doorstep. We had the best meal in the restaurant. That's saying something because we have eaten all over south east asia but their chicken with holy basil is THE BEST! It's fairly priced too. Just down the road there are lots of great places to eat and drink too. There's a little bit of a walk down to the town but you get used to that. Tuk tuks are cheap if you have shopping or are tired from trips etc. Down by the beach you can get a long tail to Railey beach which is a must do. The resort booked us tickets to Phi Phi, the driver picked us up on time and everything went great.
The mattress was nice and firm and there is a safe. Security patrols so you feel very safe. Ao Nang is pretty safe and even for a woman alone you would be safe if you took the normal precautions. The breakfast is wonderful. You choose the night before and they deliver at the the time you requested to your table outside your room. It's like a luxury service. The staff are really friendly and attentive. I couldn't fault it really. Suggestions for managetment might be a mural on the white wall that the bedroom looks onto, it's a blank canvas and could be prettied up with paintings or more plants. This by no means detracts from the overall ambience though. It's a great place to stay!! If we are in Krabi again we might go to stay for a third time!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are about the same. The outdoor bathroom is an absolute joy!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I booked this stay through AirAsiaGo for 4D3D from 13th - 16th April (during the Songkran festival). The reasons I choose this place was because of the beautiful resort photographs, the lush greens and cliffs (even has mists) that surrounds this place. I read reviews (good & bad) and didn't really think much of it until I arrived at the place. Here's my comments:

1. Misleading Photographs
The place do not look like the photographs, maybe when was new but old and rundown now. There's no mist or beautiful cliffs to be seen. Some pics are taken from an angle that no human being is able to be there. The place is small, centered around the pool full of mosquitos.

2. What Bungalows?
There's no bungalows or villas here. The moment you open the door and squeeze through you're already at your bedroom. It's small and cozy but full of mosquitos flying in and out whenever you open the door. The mosquito net over the bed helps. The bed is okay although not that comfortable. There's no moldy smell like other reviews. There's no coffee/tea making stations. There's a mini bar, safebox, wardrobe & a tv with poor signal (which we watch every night because there's nothing else to do in this resort).

3. Breakfast? Wifi?
I top up to have full breakfast everyday. I'm not sure what AirAsia meant by FULL Breakfast. I paid extra RM200 (2,000 baht) for full breakfast + wifi connection for 3days. Upon arriving I found out that wifi is FREE and one need not pay for it. Breakfast came with a choice of American, Continental, Local or Asian. Whatever you choose, you'll get a plate of fruits, fruit juice, coffee, tea or hot chocolate. I had American Breakfast for 3 days outside my "bungalow" with mosquitos attacking me. The toasted bread was stiff and cold, not appetizing at all. The bacon was cold and tasteless. Eggs were okay, I enjoyed the omelet eggs the most (there's no filling, only egg!). It wasn't worth paying the extra RM200 (2,000 bath) I could've have eaten breakfast outside for less than 100baht. I've also been conned into paying for WIFI which was unstable throughout my stay.

4. The Pool
Simple pool that's not appealing. The water is not as blue/green as the photographs. The surroundings were old and rundown. Every morning there's someone cleaning the pool but one look made me not want to swim at all even though I brought my swimwear.

5. Outdoor Bathroom
I was looking forward to the bathroom since reviews were praising it despite the small room and lack of amenities from this resort. My "bungalow" was the last one from the pool so the bathroom was overlooking some other "neighbor" below. I could see a guard hut, their house and their porch from showering. I wonder if they could see me back? If I'm tall enough I can even peek at the next "bungalow"'s bathroom. I can already hear them talking (let's not discuss what they were talking about). The hot water was uncontrollable and it off by itself. The place was full of mosquitos! the walls were dirty. Poorly lit, it was scary bathing there, I didn't enjoy one bit showering or washing my face.

6. Service is alright
Receptionist was helpful and they were there until 10pm at night. They speak English and could guide us to nearby places we wanted to go. A guard is always around at the entrance sitting after 10pm. This is a boutique hotel so there's no 24hrs customer service. However airport transfer is not free and we needed to bath 1,400 baht for airport return transfer (800baht for one way). We got a taxi outside for 600 baht only without bargaining.

7. Doors Not Secure Enough
It was difficult to unlock and lock the "bungalow" door! My first time I was horrified the locked door could open out if you pull it. Then we found out that the door top hinges were not locked, so we made sure to locked it, preventing it from being pulled out. Even with that, anyone with enough strength can pull it out again. It's much too flimsy to secure our room so we made sure to locked our valuables in the safe box.

9. There's no privacy.
Curtains were barely covering the glass window overlooking a small garden with poorly built stilts (I can see the neighbor from here and from my bathroom). It was more like a individual cloth covering each see through section of the "bungalow".

10. Worth the Stay?
Despite all that, we manage to stayed on for the entire duration. Our holiday came as a package from Air Asia so I do not think refunds were possible. I believe the place would receive much better reviews if they had lower their price. At the reception counter, the daily rate was 4,500 bath! (RM450 a night). It's not worth the price to stay. If they were a 1 - 2 star hotel with under 2,000 baht rate, it would receive plenty of good reviews for what they're offering. I will not pay more than RM200 for this place if it wasn't because of AirAsia promotion package. It was a good thing it's situated after McDonalds & nearby 7-11 at the main road, 10-15mins walks away from the beach.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My daughter & I had booked online for 3 nights, 31st Mar-2nd April 2013. I had read that the rooms were small but that wasnt going to bother me.
What DID bother me was the hotel was nothing like the website photos at all,no tea & coffee making facilities in the room, TOILET did not work, the phone did not work, the doors did NOT LOCK at all you could just push them open!
For two females travelling alone, doors that lock are essential, we were that nervous the first night we didnt changed into our nightwear & slept a few hours fully clothed. At 1am we booked another hotel online. We asked for only a refund of the surcharge which was 3000 baht, I did not want a refund for the three nights. Well 10 days & about 6 emails sent we have not received any responce regatding the refund, infact my emails keep coming back saying their mailbox is full, I am wondering if they have blocked my emails??????
I do not recommend staying at this hotel at all, it is not what it says it is. I love Thailand & its people & this is the first time I have had any issues whatsoever. Shame.
Please give us our refund of 3000 baht, you have the money for the 3 nights anyway. :(

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

The condition of the room we stayed in was appalling.

The toilet was broken, we alerted staff but the issue was not seen to which made our overnight stay uncomfortable to say the least. The outdoor bathroom in general was filthy.

The doors did not lock and/or were easily pulled open.

The blinds were thin and insufficient, providing no privacy whatsoever. We didn't even get changed that night and felt very unsafe in the room and location.

The bed sheets smelt of mould and the mosquito net smelt of dust. The sheets also felt dirty, we did not want to use them.

There was a phone in the room but like most other things it did not work, not even to call reception.

There was no kettle/tea or coffee making facilities in the room.

The room was also TINY, barely enough space for two people to move around the bed.

The pool felt slimy and had algae around the sides. It also didn't have stairs or a step ladder in or out of it??

Having chosen this resort going by images and details on the website we felt very deceived from the moment we walked in and thereafter.

We booked for 3 nights and spent our first night looking for alternative accommodation. Seriously considering staying in the backpackers across the road. We left first thing in the morning and requested a refund of at least the outrageous $3000 baht high season surcharge. We have also made a written complaint and are still awaiting a response and our refund.

We moved to a hotel just down the road (Vogue Resort) which was less expensive for a room more than double the size, with usual amenities such as a working toilet in a bathroom with 4 walls and a roof, locking door, clean sheets and nice new kettle! Service was also outstanding, I can't tell you what a relief it was to be in a normal room/resort.

• Stayed April 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband and I booked on line from new Zealand - ( we came to Ao Nang for our sons wedding) we stayed in the small room for 3 nights ( a wee bit small for us, but very nice) then upgraded to the larger room - upon arrival we were greeted by the staff - and the entrance is really stunning - the bed was very big and confortable and had lights on either side of the bed which allowed us to read. The chairs were very comfortable -The bathroom area was very spacious and the shower was glorious with great water pressure. Good air condition and lots of windows to open for fresh air. We were given a free water bottle everyday and the room was cleaned everyday - Free Wi Fi and the use of a computer am also very good Wi Fi connection in the room which was very fast - we had breakfast everyday at the restaurant overlooking the pool -( Fresh juice and fruit ) They will also deliver breakfast to your room. The pool was cleaned everyday. I didnt swim as there was no ladder to get in and out of the pool ( would be good to put a ladder in the pool) They were not opened for lunchduring our stay ( we stayed in November 2012) but recommended the restaurant next door on the main road. We had dinner in and were amazed at the variety on of the menu - our daughter had flown in from Rome and wanted sausages and mash - ( which was on the menu) they cook a fab sticy rice -the food was glorious and they make a good Gin Fizz - All of the staff were very accomodating and even though there was a language barrier - we were able to convey our requests - the staff also arranged a cooking class for us as - you can just about book anything through the staff and have it changed to your room - They also have a taxi service which was very convinient for us. It took me about 25 mins to walk to the beach - lots of nice shops along the way. We would stay here again

Room Tip: The large room was very good for space
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Cliff Ao Nang Resort? Share your experiences!