“Cosy place but many mossies around” 4 of 5 stars

The Cliff Ao Nang Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   85/2 Moo 2, Ao Nang, Krabi Town 81000, Thailand   |
Ranked #57 of 84 Hotels in Ao Nang
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Cosy place but many mossies around”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Just returned from a 4 days/3 nights stay at The Cliff Ao Nang. There are some aspects that we liked and some that we didn’t.

Aspects that we liked about this resort:
1. The warm hospitality and quick service of all the staff there. They were courteous and communication wasn't an issue. The GM, Pimchana Kaewpadung was prompt in replying my enquiries through email. I need to mention that Mai in reception was very pleasant, friendly and helpful.

2. The natural and peaceful ambience of the resort- natural designs and lots of greens and lovely orchid flowers around. The fact that the hotel was away from the more happening area of Ao Nang beach worked well for us. As the hotel is situated away from the late night restaurants and bars, we weren’t disturbed by any loud music at night.

3. The resort’s location- We didn't mind that the beach was a 20 minute leisure walk away (or 15 minutes brisk walk). At least we got our daily dose of exercise and had to chance to do some souvenir shopping along the way. There are also many foreign exchange counters, restaurants, bars and taxi and tour companies along the route to the beach.

5. An assorted variety of TV channels- 25 channels all in all, not only Thai programmes, but also programmes in various other languages such as English, French, German, Italian, Dutch. There were 3 channels for children (one was in Thai), and mostly news and others like Bio, CI, Universal and travel channel. They don't have any sports channel though.

6. The food- The daily breakfast we had was tasty and sufficient. Three breakfast variety to choose from (Continental, American or local). All includes fresh fruit juice (orange/watermelon/ pineapple), coffee/tea/hot chocolate and fruits. We tried all three types and they were good. The continental breakfast portion may look small, but the pancake was filling. The 3-course dinner we had on the 2nd night was a little spicy but delicious. The portion was just nice for us.

7. Wifi connection- Upon check in, we were given the password for the Wifi access. The Wifi connection was excellent. No complaints there. For those without Wifi devices, there is a PC near the reception/ restaurant area with Internet connection. The Internet connection is also good there. The hotel also has printing services. If you use the PC, just beware of the mosquitoes around, especially during the late evening.

Aspects that we did not like about the resort:

1. MOSQUITOES!! There were so many of them every where. We tried to swat as many mossies as we could when we got to our room. A tip is to ALWAYS leave the room door and bathroom door close to reduce the chance of mosquitoes entering the room. We didn’t get bitten in our room as we did this. Bring along mosquito repellent as well and make sure you apply it before you go outside the room or around the hotel compound. Beware of the Aedes mosquito especially at dawn and dusk.

2. Uninvited guests in the outdoor bathroom and roof top- beside the pesky mossies, I saw a rat scuttling away when I was showering. That certainly made me jump! After this incident, I was wary when using the bathroom. On the second night, I heard them moving around on the roof and squeaking. Good thing is I didn’t find any rats faeces in the area. A unique looking frog also made its home at the corner near the toilet bowl, but I didn’t mind that so much as compared to the rats.

3. The water heater- It was inconsistent. Sometime it would be working and sometimes it shuts off itself. Because the shower is outdoors, it can get a little chilly when the wind blows. Make sure you have your bathrobe nearby.

4. No tea/coffee making facilities in the room. However, I requested from the reception for a kettle and they sent a Thermos water dispenser to our room. Glasses were already provided in the room.

Some other tips:
-It is true that the room itself is small. However, we didn't mind as we didn't have a massive suitcase. However, those with huge suitcases would find it hard, but what you can do is unpack some stuff into the cupboard provided and then leave your suitcase upright.

All in all, I would say, for the price we paid and the service we received, it was a good stay. I would recommend this resort for a short getaway for couples. The room is just nice for two and it is ideal for a peaceful night’s rest.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Thai first
Adelaide
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

Made booking through booking dot com. Hotel look good for the price. When we arrived it was infested with Mosquitos. To make it worse the net over the bed had holes in it and the beautiful garden images on website etc were nothing alike. Not to mention the size if the room. Can not walk around the bed if u have 1 suitcase... Let alone 2. Also the lock on the door doesn't work. I pulled the door open and walked in even though it was "locked". Swimming pool was covered in mould and stains....

Why would anyone stay here or say it is nice?

After moving to a different hotel, It took us days of bargaining to get a refund after being told blatant lies. Such as our manager is away on sick leave, our manager quit and we r waiting to get another, our manager is on holidays.... Every excuse imaginable to not provide us a refund when we said we will not stay here.

After all that the only way we could get refund is if we pay for 1 night accommodation (even though we were not staying) and had book 5 nights and then a further 3 nights later in our trip.

To make it worse we were then accused of not paying and they would not refund part of our stay... After phone calls to our bank in Australia and to American express they finally agreed that we had paid them everything upfront at time of booking (8months ago) and then said it will take 7-10 days until money hits you credit card account. We had to also demand a receipt of this as proof of refund.

Don't get sucked in by the lovely photos of this place or the excellent reviews on here... Will never go back here EVER. At best I would say this would be ok for a backpacker but the price needs to come down a lot for that. We moved closer to the beach in a far bigger, cleaner and bug free room for the same price (Pakasai Resort)

By the time of writing this review money has now been credited to my credit card. However this experience has left a bad taste in my mouth and I urge everyone to seriously reconsider your stay here.

• Stayed January 2013
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I took on the task of booking the hotels for my honeymoon, based on the reviews written by fellow travelers. I read a lot of great stuff about the resort. I was apprehensive before I reached the resort. Once we reached the resort, I was simply in awe of the place, the cottage, the view, the hospitality.

This resort is highly recommended for couples.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Pimchana, Manager at The Cliff Ao Nang Resort, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear valued Guest
Thank you for choosing us for a part of your honeymoon. We are delighted to hear that you both enjoyed our hospitalilty and had a great time during your stay.
It was a pleasure having you as our lovely guest. Looking forward to welcome you again in our resort. Please let us know before your next visit to allow me to take the best care of you two.
Looking forward to welcome you back.
Best regards
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Very small rooms but very nicely arranged, outside bathroom look cool but you have to think abaut of anty mosquitoes solution, geckos near the lamp is not enought. This is jungle garden room located so it lifes at night for example we had rats ran across the roof but all except that looks wonderfull :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

If you're looking for a terrible experience in Ao Nang, this is the place for you. The website's pictures and description make it seem pleasant and unique, but trust me it is far from it. For a four night stay we payed $380.16 and it was a complete waste of money. For starters the staff (other than the receptionist) was not very polite or responsive. In fact after 10 pm the reception desk is technically closed and the "night watch" person could care less if you need anything at all, so you better order your breakfast for the next day before they "close". Next, there must be something wrong with the washing machine they use because our linens smelled like mildew; pillows, sheets, blankets, everything. As if that wasn't enough to have a bad night sleep, there were holes in the mosquito net that surrounded the bed which didn't protect us very well from all the flying, biting things at night. The locks on the door are a joke, in fact, one of our doors didn't lock at all. For someone traveling with a family that is absolutely unacceptable. The room is incredibly small, the bed takes up the entire room. Finally, I don't mind the outdoor bathrooms, but (and this is a really big but) the mesh screens at the bottom of the walls were mangled and broken which allowed rats to enter out bathroom and defecate on the toilet, on the floor and on the bathroom sink. The stay was so bad that we left after the first night and stayed at the Krabi Resort. That's a real hotel. It was literally steps from the sand, had clean and comfortable rooms, delicious breakfast every morning on the beach, responsive staff (yes, even in the middle of the night), and was the SAME PRICE as the first hotel we unfortunately chose. Since the hotel management knows they are a bait and switch, they refused to give us any sort of pro-rated refund, even though we only stayed ONE night, they kept every penny of our money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Pimchana, Manager at The Cliff Ao Nang Resort, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Valued guest.

First of all thank you for your last visit and also appreciated your time to express your opinion. As this values feedback from you ,will give us an opportunity to take into account and improve all the points which have you been mentioned.
We are terribly sorry to actually found out from this review that you were unhappy during your last visit as when we asked for the reason that made you left early ,we only got told from you that you wanted to stay somewhere close to the beach. Basically the refund of the rest nights will be for sure considered if guests leave early with the complaint or any of our mistakes that cause the unsatisfaction. In your situation we did not acknowledge any complain at all from you or from the agent until a few days ago that the agent call which nearly a month after you have left.
Comparing to other resorts in the area with the same category and also with our present promotion especially during this season our room rate is not higher from the others and even though our room size is not large but do have the size matching with the standards of any resort in the same area.
We feel disappointed that we cannot meet your expectation at the time. I also do hope that our resort will get another chance to welcome you and show how well improve we are.

Best regard,
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed 3D/2N and never wanted to leave.
The staff went out of their way to make me and my partner feel welcome and where extremely helpful and accommodating.
The view from the pool side is stunning and I would have been happy just lying there all day long.
A island boat trip was included in my package and is well worth doing (remember sunscreen and swim wear).
The food is good and reasonably priced (for a hotel)... due to the location you do have the option of walking into town and sampling some of the more "authentic" Thai restaurants for a cheaper price.
All in all it was an amazing short brake for two and I would recommend the place to anybody looking for a conveniently situated, quiet and relaxing hotel.

Thanks to all the staff for a great birthday stay (even brought me a surprise cake!! :O) )

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I just got back from Krabi 3 night stay at this hotel. So here is my review :

Location:
This hotel is situated at the first part of ao nang town before Mcdonalds. It is hidden in between a few shops on the left hand side if you are coming from the airport. The beach is approximately about 15mins-20mins walk depending how fast you walk and it isn't near. I woudn't say this is bad but it encourages you to walk and see all the shops available. I walk up and down every night to have dinner and see the stalls. If you don't like walking and you want to be right smack in the happening area, this isn't the hotel for you.

On the other side, if you like isolated hotel and quiet this is the place for you. It comprises only 20 bungalow or i call them Villas and 1 suite. A small pool, bar and restaurant. That's just it. There isn't any fancy reception counter or gym etc. It is a simple accomodation with personalized service.

Wifi Services
5 star for fast internet services. I stayed in a couple of 5 stars hotels and they charge internet separately. This hotel gives you free wireless in your room and is pretty fast. So bring along your ipad. But if you do not have your own device, do not worry there's a desktop pc at the bar which is in working condition as i tested it myself.

Housekeeping / Front Desk
Now, check in and out was pretty easy and no hassle. We were greeted with cold towels and a drink. Pretty good and staff is friendly and approachable. No issues for me here. But take note that the reception is open until 10pm only. There only be security after that. So if you have anything you need, make sure you do it before 10pm.

Accomodation
The juicy part, well the room are pretty small but nicely decorated. The bed is quite comfortable. The room comes with a safe, 2 bathrobe, 2 slippers and proper toiletries. A minibar and a tv is also included in it even though there wasn't any channel showing EPL Chelsea vs Manchester United or any liverpool games. TV programmes are a little dull for me as most channels were in Thai.
Bathroom is an outdoor concept. It is nicely decorated and clean. I have no major complains only that the water pressure for the rain shower is a little low and therefor we had some problems with the heating. It turns off and on by itself. This is one of the reason i didin't give it a 5 star. Then we had our bathroom light faulty which the housekeeping quickly took care of it when we came back. Good response time. ! kudos!
If you like privacy in shower, I can't say the same for this bathroom as it's open concept and that means your next door neighbour is on as well and what ever you do can be heard from the next bathroom. So just becareful here.

As this is a small hotel, they do not serve buffet breakfast. They only have 3 options for breakfast and you need to let them know the night before for the next day. We were given Oriental, Western and Local breakfast. All comes with fruit, coffee or tea and juices. I took the western breakfast and to me it's sufficient and no complains. The best part is, you get the option to let them bring food to your room and you can have it outside of your room. We did this but there was once they woke us up an hour early to what we requested. But no bigge. My wife and I are very happy.

Summary
If you like personalized, small and quiet villas, this is the place for you with affordable prices

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your last visit and also your valued time to share the comment during your stay.
As a small resort we always take care of all our guests with the personal touch services for their memorable stays. Breakfast at your door step is not the only one convenient services that you will receviie during your stay with us. We glad to know that you are impressed with our friendly and approchable staff.
The fast speed wifi in the room is to ensure the guests enjoy thier every minuites in the resort.Our bungalow is not in a large size but big enough for your comfort.
We have taken note with the water pressure and cable tv in the room for our service improvement.
The premier league is available to watch on TV in our restaurant if the guest requested.
I do hope to have a chance to welcome you in our resort again in the near future.
Best regards.

Been to The Cliff Ao Nang Resort? Share your experiences!