“Simple Getaway” 4 of 5 stars

“Simple Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I just got back from Krabi 3 night stay at this hotel. So here is my review :

Location:
This hotel is situated at the first part of ao nang town before Mcdonalds. It is hidden in between a few shops on the left hand side if you are coming from the airport. The beach is approximately about 15mins-20mins walk depending how fast you walk and it isn't near. I woudn't say this is bad but it encourages you to walk and see all the shops available. I walk up and down every night to have dinner and see the stalls. If you don't like walking and you want to be right smack in the happening area, this isn't the hotel for you.

On the other side, if you like isolated hotel and quiet this is the place for you. It comprises only 20 bungalow or i call them Villas and 1 suite. A small pool, bar and restaurant. That's just it. There isn't any fancy reception counter or gym etc. It is a simple accomodation with personalized service.

Wifi Services
5 star for fast internet services. I stayed in a couple of 5 stars hotels and they charge internet separately. This hotel gives you free wireless in your room and is pretty fast. So bring along your ipad. But if you do not have your own device, do not worry there's a desktop pc at the bar which is in working condition as i tested it myself.

Housekeeping / Front Desk
Now, check in and out was pretty easy and no hassle. We were greeted with cold towels and a drink. Pretty good and staff is friendly and approachable. No issues for me here. But take note that the reception is open until 10pm only. There only be security after that. So if you have anything you need, make sure you do it before 10pm.

Accomodation
The juicy part, well the room are pretty small but nicely decorated. The bed is quite comfortable. The room comes with a safe, 2 bathrobe, 2 slippers and proper toiletries. A minibar and a tv is also included in it even though there wasn't any channel showing EPL Chelsea vs Manchester United or any liverpool games. TV programmes are a little dull for me as most channels were in Thai.
Bathroom is an outdoor concept. It is nicely decorated and clean. I have no major complains only that the water pressure for the rain shower is a little low and therefor we had some problems with the heating. It turns off and on by itself. This is one of the reason i didin't give it a 5 star. Then we had our bathroom light faulty which the housekeeping quickly took care of it when we came back. Good response time. ! kudos!
If you like privacy in shower, I can't say the same for this bathroom as it's open concept and that means your next door neighbour is on as well and what ever you do can be heard from the next bathroom. So just becareful here.

As this is a small hotel, they do not serve buffet breakfast. They only have 3 options for breakfast and you need to let them know the night before for the next day. We were given Oriental, Western and Local breakfast. All comes with fruit, coffee or tea and juices. I took the western breakfast and to me it's sufficient and no complains. The best part is, you get the option to let them bring food to your room and you can have it outside of your room. We did this but there was once they woke us up an hour early to what we requested. But no bigge. My wife and I are very happy.

Summary
If you like personalized, small and quiet villas, this is the place for you with affordable prices

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Pimchana, Manager at The Cliff Ao Nang Resort, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for your last visit and also your valued time to share the comment during your stay.
As a small resort we always take care of all our guests with the personal touch services for their memorable stays. Breakfast at your door step is not the only one convenient services that you will receviie during your stay with us. We glad to know that you are impressed with our friendly and approchable staff.
The fast speed wifi in the room is to ensure the guests enjoy thier every minuites in the resort.Our bungalow is not in a large size but big enough for your comfort.
We have taken note with the water pressure and cable tv in the room for our service improvement.
The premier league is available to watch on TV in our restaurant if the guest requested.
I do hope to have a chance to welcome you in our resort again in the near future.
Best regards.

227 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Thai first
Kajang, Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

My husband and I went to the resort for our honeymoon in low season so we got a good price and a quiet place (and also a couple of thunderstorms). Our room was the one facing the pool. It was quite a small and compact room but it's really nicely decorated, and I absolutely LOVE the open-air bathroom! we had no problem with mosquitos at all.

The staff here was really nice and helpful. They take your order for breakfast the night before and serve it to you, so it's not a buffet - still, they serve you more than enough to fill you up for the day! The resort is at the top of the road where all the shops and stalls are - a good location because everything is accessible by walking, but at the same time it's not RIGHT in the middle of everything.

The only reason I didn't give this resort a full five stars is because the water heater wasn't working properly. They sent an employee to check it at once when we reported it, but of course the heater works just fine when he tested it.

I would definitely recommend this resort for those who doesn't want to spend too much on a resort, but still wish for a nice one with a romantic ambiance.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the pool! it's the best location in the resort
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Pimchana, Manager at The Cliff Ao Nang Resort, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear our valued guest.

Thank you for your last visit and also your time to post a good reveiw for us. It is always nice to know that our guest had a lovely time during thier stay with us. The room you were staying at is one of our popular room that the guest always ask for as only just a step out of the room you will see an amazing Cliff view from there. We hope to have a chance to welcome you in our reosort again in the near future.

Best regards.
Resort Manager
Kerikeri, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Booked this place and requested twin beds. Arrived to find that they do not have twin beds.
The room was really small and people had been spitting on the wall behind the washbasin, streams of red stain on the wall. Nice!!!!!!
Lots of mosquitoes.
15 minutes walk from the beach.
Asked to cancel my booking and was refused a refund.
Buyer Beware.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Pimchana, Manager at The Cliff Ao Nang Resort, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear Mr. Law602

Appreciate your time to share your comment regarding to your visit to our resort .
We are sorry for not being able to provide what you 've requested when you made your booking through our agent website as the twins bed , is never availlable in our property . It has clearly stated on the agent website that any special request is not guarantee and the guest has to contact us directly to confirm their request which we 've never received any contact refer to this issue. I may here take this opportunity to inform you again about the refund eventhough we already have your reply to ackinowledge and accept the refund from us. Any booking which under non-refundable condition if the guest desire not to stay with us at all, the refund has to be done anyway under the consideration and fairness on both side throuhg the agent. Checking the room whether it 's in the good condition before letting the guest in, is one of my daily duty and to let the guest to check in to the room with spit on over the wall that must be the misunderstanding. However we do hope to have a chance to welcome you again in the near future for your next holiday

Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

On arriving at Krabi airport and with no checked luggage it was very disappointing to discover that the hotel had forgotten to book our pick-up. So having been one of the first through the airport we were definitely last to leave. Upon arrival at the hotel the cool towels were very welcome but no apology was offered. The check-in process was very smooth and we were soon in our rooms, not luxurious but definitely not low end either. The location is quite good as an evening stroll to shops/restaurants/bars is preferable to being surrounded by them. The first evening we discovered a broken door (allowing mosquitos in) and a faulty shower, too hot or too cold and no stability in the temperature ( a fault in all our rooms). I reported both issues to reception only to be shown how to use the shower by maintenance because I obviously did not know how it worked. I found this quite insulting. The temperature was still not stable and would be 'checked again later'. The door would also be fixed later. Upon our return from dinner I was informed that the tools were not available for the door and it would be done tomorrow. The shower had been revisited and should be ok, it was not. The next day after returning from lunch the door was still not fixed so I approached reception to be greeted by a smile and an "I'm sorry I've only just started my shift. They told me it wasn't fixed but not why." fortunately the manageress was nearby and stepped in to organise the repair which used a saw, a hammer and a strip of wood that were surely all available the day before. The manageress apologised profusely and offered us our airport return free of charge as compensation, which was appreciated. We did not eay here so cannot comment on the restaurant but it did take over 20 mins to receive 3 coffees. All that said, if I ever returned to Krabi again I would consider staying here if I could get the same price, definitely not for the rack rate and the showers were fixed. The rooms are quaint, the location good although some road noise can be heard in the morning. The hotel grounds and pool are relaxing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
TheCliffAonang, Manager at The Cliff Ao Nang Resort, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear Mr. Keith1604

Thank you so much for your time to post this review and to give us the opportunity to do a better for our guests in all the area of servicees which were mentioned. May I take this chance to sincerely apologize again for our delay service and also for not dealing with the problem soon after you had infomed us. As this is definitely opposite to what staffs have been trained in the resort to deal with problem and they must inform me whenver or whatever problem happened before the complaint. I am glad to know that you would consider staying with us again as you like our room, atmosphere in the resort and also the location. And of course with even better for you with the room rate . Please contact me directly for your next visit and allow me to take a better care of you and your friends next time.

Resort Manager
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I did a Contiki tour in April and our last 2 days we stayed in Ao Nang at the Cliff Ao Nang Resort. Upon checking in, we were greeted with these beautiful hand made flower bracelets and a wet towel to refresh our faces. The grounds are incredible, very natural and picturesque. When I got to my room I was incredibly surprised. It was the most gorgeous room I had ever seen. Very spacious and clean. Our mini fridges were stocked with red bull, coca cola, sprite, water, and chocolate bars. The shower had a wonderful overhead shower head which felt luxurious. The staff were very friendly and service was commendable. The included use of the computer/internet/printer was greatly appreciated.

In the evening, we all had dinner at the buffet just passed the front desk. One of the best meals I had all vacation, and that's saying something as all of the food in Thailand was spectacular. Breakfast was the same, great variety and everything was delicious and hot.

The hotel was very easy to navigate and was located very close to the beach as well as bars, local shops, restaurants (there was a Starbucks, pizza place, McDonalds etc.), and banking machines.

If I were to travel back to Ao Nang, I would definitely return to the Cliff Ao Nang Resort!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
TheCliffAonang, Resort Manager at The Cliff Ao Nang Resort, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear Ms. Cherology 88

First of all thank you for your last visit to our resort. We are appreciated your time to put such a positive reveiw for us. It is delighted to know that you had a perfect time during your stay and also definitely return to our resort for your next trip to Krabi.
Please allow us to know for your next visit by contacting me directly and give me a chance to arrage something special for you as our returned guest.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I had the good pleasure to stay here on 5-6 August departing out from Railey to Aonang. The setting is what i consider anti modern, it edges towards a rustic concept within a natural landscape. Strolling to our room we had to walk on slabs of tree trunks which form the pavement in forest like density garden setting. The compound of the hotel is strategically located with a majestic backdrop of a cliff thus the name of the hotel makes perfect sense. Within the room, while it does support basic amenities such as hot water and air conditioning, you will not find fanciful gadgets or flatscreen TV. Instead you will find copper basin, pebble washed wall within a garden vegetation density entailing the outdoor bath area. Inside the room the significant height of the ceiling with the circular mosquito net hovering over the bed adds to the relaxation factor while me and my other half had our pleasant stay there. I am especially grateful for the trip recommendations that the front desk had arranged for us. When we returned from the day trip on 6th, I informed the front desk its the birthday for my girl. They offer to arrange a surprise on my behalf. All i had to do is to leave the hotel for 30 minutes which gave me a good excuse to try out the street cart pancakes nearby. Upon our return the frontdesk smiled and said to me" I will send the phah thai to your room now" My other half was utterly confused when did i made such order, I was all smiles knowing the arrangement was as planned and yelled out ok while we strolled back to the room within the wonderful garden. Within minutes there was a knock on the door, i lazed on the bed and got my girl to open the surprise herself. A few of the staff were present to serve the candle lite birthday cake for her. You can imagine her delight. I too entrusted our last dinner selection to the frontdesk at Rae Lay grill where the free transport came to the hotel and send us to an absolutely wonderful hilly location just 10 minutes away. By the end of it there was another birthday surprise for my girl, all arranged thanks to the tip off from the staff at the cliff. For once in my life I felt tipping was beyond courtesy. I felt indebted to the staff whom i did not tip enough at the cliff hotel as i realised that i may not see some of them when i leave in the following morning. I did tip some of them before going for dinner thanking them for the birthday surprise to my room. I have to admit wholeheartedly, such services are driven beyond the measure of a jobscope. We felt like returning visitors from years ago to the familiar faces at the same spot, fact however remains this was our 1st visit. With absolute certainty we shall be back for more. Once again a heart felt big thank you for hosting a memorable visit that is well beyond all known expectations as a hotel resort should.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
TheCliffAonang, Resort manager at The Cliff Ao Nang Resort, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear Araybanfan

Thank you for your last visit to our resort. We appreciate your time to put such good positive review for us. Your review has give our team such a good encouragement to maintain a quality service to our guest. Ensuring our guest to have a memorable stay with us either you are fist time visit or returened guest, are our main priority. I do hope to welcome you again in the near future. Please contact me directly for your next visit.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

First of all, the manager and staff were really friendly and welcoming. The manager even provide us with good tips on where to go about for good food and visits. I also really like the part where the entire resort has wifi (though it was not very strong in some area). We stayed in room 101. Appreciated the daily room service (and the room service even folded the clean towels into cute little swans and elephants to decorate our bed!). Though there's some things I thought can be improved. First, will be the shower. I think the shower is kinda difficult to operate and control. It's either too hot or too cold and sometimes shut down intermittently in between the showers. Second, the roof had some dusty debris falling down onto our bed after the rain... But thankfully it wasn't much, and can easily be swiped off the bedcovers.

The Cliff is located a little far away from the beach front (about 15-20mins walk from the beach front). Nonetheless, the walk to the beach proved to be enjoyable, as we get to tried many delicious street food along the way.

The western breakfast served is not bad. (the first day's breakfast was nicely done, but the 2nd day one doesn't taste as good as the first... probably it's done by different cook). We had our breakfast in the table outside our room instead of the restaurant. It was a good way to stay our morning. The restaurant did Okay lunch... We find it kinda salty and a little pricy compared to nearby restaurants. So hit the nearby restaurants or street stalls instead if you are looking more variety and better tasting food (at cheaper price).

Overall a good resort that I'd recommend. Cosy room, nice layout and comfortable greenery all around.

Room Tip: I don't know about other rooms, but mine (rm 101) is not bad. AC is strong and good. Just the sh...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
TheCliffAonang, Manager at The Cliff Ao Nang Resort, responded to this review, July 28, 2012
Dear Yurujoyce

First of all thank you for your last visit to our resort and also for taking your time to write your review. Your feedback will provide us a better cater to our guest as well as to prevent a future recurrence, specially in all the area you have mentioned. Our resort is located within a walking distance of 15 minuites to the beachfront. It is our owner's main concept to offer and share the surrounding tropical greenery and peaceful environment to our guest in the resort. It is so delighted to know that we are a good resort that you would recommend.
Please contact me directly for your next visit to allow me to take the best care of you as our values return guest.

Pimchana K.

Been to The Cliff Ao Nang Resort? Share your experiences!