In fairness, there were several things very right with our stay at the hotel, and so, I'll start with the positive.
1. The pool is beautiful, very clean, and every room has either direct pool access or a nice panoramic view of the "action."
2. The hotel location is decent. Just steps away from the front of the hotel, you'll find several restaurants that serve Thai food just right. A 20 minute walk left of the hotel will take you to the main strip for Burger King/Subway and all the tourist trap shops you can handle.
3. The housekeeping staff at the hotel was very friendly and accommodating. While the hotel rooms aren't going to win a 5 star award, they are clean and functional, with 2 free bottles of water provided daily.
4. The front desk staff was good for the most part. I realize I'm in Thailand, and respect that the locals grasp of English is far superior to my grasp of Thai, but working for a US chain, I expect basic English skills to be present in the staff. You'd be hard pressed to communicate a real problem with the front desk currently, but I'm hopeful that standards will improve as the hotel gains traction.
5. The contracted excursions staff was very kind and knowledgeable. While the prices weren't the best in town, we paid a slight premium for a couple of outings and were very pleased with the value received. Don't miss the Tree Top Adventure Park in Krabi!
Unfortunately, we had some very disappointing experiences with the dining at the hotel and the laundry services. Over the course of our stay, we ordered room service 3 times. Each time we tried something different in hopes we would find something very good or great. After a long day of excursion or trekking the beaches, we just wanted to stay in and have a decent meal. First go we ordered a couple of cheese burgers. They were fine. Small, but enough to tie us over until morning. The second time, we ordered a Caesar salad and Penne pasta with red sauce. I should have taken a picture of the salad, but we were just in shock. There was so much dressing, it looked like a bowl of clam chowder. The lettuce had actually wilted as a result of the acid from the vinegar in the dressing. It was disgusting and hilarious at the same time. Our Penne with red sauce was a tomato and cheese pizza. "Pizza," "Penne," we tried to again chalk it up to the language barrier...but, come on. Third try, we went for a steak and spaghetti...no confusing those words, right? The food was delivered as ordered, and while edible, didn't really enhance our opinion of the hotel. Oh, and with the third order, we were scolded by the room service operator for giving her the wrong room number. Uh, if we gave you the wrong room number, how are your calling the right number to yell at me?
Next up was the laundry issue. We used the hotel laundry service for 7 pieces. 3 t shirts, 2 pairs of jeans, and a couple pairs of underwear. Laundry if in by 10am is returned the same day by 6pm. I turned the laundry in at 1005. No problem, I thought maybe I'd get same day service, but was perfectly happy with next day. Well, next day, 7pm...no laundry. I called the front desk and again struggled with the language barrier. I decided just to take my receipt and go downstairs for a face to face meeting. That did the trick, as housekeeping came right up with my laundry. Was all that necessary? It shouldn't have been. The kicker is that my 3 t shirts all had holes punched in the collars to affix a small brown tie of yarn...I have no idea why, maybe for identification? The holes aren't noticeable from the outside of the shirts, but now the integrity of the fabric is compromised. I guess I'll just wait and see how future washes work out. I know they're only t shirts, but Armani ain't cheap, and I work hard for what I have.
We chose this hotel in order to use our IHG points, and I really tried to let all the missteps go...after all, it was a "free" stay. I stay loyal to IHG because problematic hotel stays are a rarity in my experience. I hope my review comes across as helpful, especially to the hotel. The property has much going for it, but a little more investment in the staff and food quality/preparation would make all the difference.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.