“Don't go if you care about horses.” 1 of 5 stars

Krabi Nature Horse Riding
Ao Nam Mao, Ao Nang, Krabi Town 81000, Thailand
(66) 075.662.305
Improve this listing
“Don't go if you care about horses.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

The horses had patches of sores with no hair and green tinge, they looked underfed and were not given water between the trek before us and when we got on.
There were only a limited number of "beginner" horses.
The guide - would use the term loosely - was on a skittish horse with a beginner on a lead which caused her horse to jump and try to pull away which scared her which the guide thought was funny.
The horses are under fed, tired, poorly groomed with open sores. The guide kept galloping ahead away from the group with no regard to anyone's safety or ability to know where we were going.
A big part of the trek is on a busy road which isn't picturesque or comforting to inexperienced riders.
The guide speaks almost no English (or likes to let you think he does), has no problems laughing at riders who are not as confident.
When we got back from the 2 hour trek the guides horse's mouth was bleeding from the guide being so forceful with the bit.
Feel so sorry for the horses as with the prices the company charges they can afford to treat them in a humane way.
Disgusted that human beings from any country can treat animals like this and get away with it.

Visited December 2013

• Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
“Disappointing conditions”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

We found the conditions these horses are in to be quite poor. On arrival our horses were saddled, ready to go. The horses were underweight, suffering from skin conditions and related hair loss. On return the saddles were removed and revealed very large painful looking saddle sores. The tack badly damaged and filthy. In hindsight I would have refused to ride these horses. I based my choice to use this company on the positive reviews on this site and was sadly disappointed. Otherwise, the journey itself was very enjoyable and the horses good natured and responsive. The people friendly.

Visited December 2013
Okinawa, Japan
“Misadvertised and Experience Required”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We booked this tour based on the experience described on the Krabi Trek website, where it says little experience required and an hour will be spent on the beach. We arrived and a woman came out who kept asking my husband if he was very experienced. We told her no, we are beginners who have only ridden a few times. They pointed at our horses and we were expected to put ourselves on without any instruction whatsoever. Our guide then proceeded to gallop away while we stared at each other wondering how to go about this adventure. We did not have the opportunity to put on sunscreen or bug spray, or grab a water. It was very quick that we arrived and were loaded on the horses. One of the workers seemed annoyed that we did not know how to hold the reins properly or adjust our own saddles and simply hit our horses on the butt so they would take off running. Not the ideal white-knuckle start. We went straight to the beach and rode along for maybe 5 minutes before starting our trek through the jungle. This lasted about 1 hour and we were eaten alive by bugs. The guide would come up behind us and make our horses run, leaving us both holding on for dear life. We reached an outlook, had a bottle of water and headed back. After an hour ride back, we got to the beach and the guide said we could not ride because it was high tide. Which surprised us, because the advertisement outlines a high-tide swim with the horses and that is why we purchased the half day package -- we specifically wanted the high tide swim and beach ride. He took us back on the main road where my horse was constantly spooked by traffic. Once we arrived at the stables, the van pulled up and we left. The trip was 2.5 hours round trip from our hotel to the stables and back to our hotel. While we were happy it was over -- because we did not enjoy it in the least -- we paid for a half-day adventure. It seems we could have paid for 2 hours and gotten the same trip.

I would recommend looking for a different company, or finding a way to have a Thai-speaking individual outline the adventure you would like with the owner. We were incredibly disappointed that we paid for a beach ride and did not get one... at all.

Visited October 2013
London, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
“Wonderful ride!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I did a two hour trek in may and thoroughly enjoyed it! I looked at riding places in ao nang and wanted somewhere they treated the horses well - otherwise I wouldn't enjoy it! I called them up and within ten minutes they came and got me and my partner (and dropped us off). The horses were clearly looked after and happy :)
They had a horse ready and we walked down to the beach with my partner. The tide was in so we couldn't get a good run but we left my partner on the Beach and went for a run in the jungle. It was such fun! Galloping through the jungle! We stopped and spoke to locals smiled and waved and went all the way to the shell cemetery. Then we went back the tide was out more so we ran along the beach.
Every time we went to gallop the guide asked me if I wanted to run (obviously I'd said yes each time!) So don't worry if you don't want to just say no!
I'm not sure what the bad reviews are about - some people have said it wasn't fast enough and others say it was too fast. Communicate with the owner before you leave and tell them what you want. They're not mind readers! And they want you to have a good experience. So either say yes running lots! Or no running just walk.
Also, the horse I was on was very responsive and, although I am an experienced rider, I could have quite easily got her to stop whilst running.
The great thing is, it's not touristy so you get the whole beach to yourself! Amazing!
I'll definitely be coming back! I can't wait! :D
Thank you for letting my fulfill my dream of riding on the beach!

Visited May 2013
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“No response”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I was keen to do this whilst in krabi - I researched and decided I liked the ethos of this company - I e mailed twice and got an automated response saying someone would be in touch - I never heard anything else.
Whilst in krabi - I tried again via one of the street tour organisers - I was told the latest they did a ride was 15:00 - considering this was April (hottest month) I did not go ahead as I felt this time of day would be too hot for the horses.

Visited April 2013