“Best Indian in Ao Nang so far” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Toronto, Canada
“Best Indian in Ao Nang so far”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Ate here yesterday, and while it wasn't perfect, it's been the best of the 5 I've been to. 3.5 would be my more accurate rating. I did get an attempt at an upsell but I just immediately said "no, what I've ordered is fine" and that stopped him trying to get me to have jasmine rice or whatever.

I had the paneer tikka masala, garlic nan and vegetable samosas, along with a beer. I didn't think the menu prices were that extravagant as others have mentioned, though maybe it only comes to be expensive if you go along with the upsells. In fact the 50 baht for a small Chang beer was the cheapest out of any of the Indian places. With the 20% discount (all Indian places are offering 20-25% discounts right now), it all came to about $10 or $11 U.S. equivalent.

The paneer tikka masala was quite good but slightly disappointing in that was kind of oily, and the paneer a bit bland, tasted as much like tofu as it did cheese. Decent enough flavor, although I asked for medium and it barely hit mild. The veggie samosas were very good, as was the garlic nan. Service was efficient, and I was checked up on to make sure everything was alright.

The only real issue in the restaurant were all of the flying bugs. I've eaten all up and down the road and Bombay Palace was the only place to have them, so I assume they must be nesting very nearby or something. Two types, one like a fling ant, the other some sort of sandfly I suppose. Normally I don't mind a few insects about but I had to flick them off the table constantly, and twice off my nan and one drowned in my beer. I know in a tropical seaside area that nature is usually far beyond your control, I just wonder why I hadn't had such bugs even 10 meters down the road.

Still, I recommend the food, just be careful of the up-sells as others have mentioned.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
“Good food, good service - watch out for the waiters up selling though!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Finally ate here tonight after the wee guy at the front trying to get us to come in every night, and we were very happy we did!
The food was excellent. We shared a chicken pakora and both had sizzling dishes for main course - definitely recommend the sizzling dishes!
Service was quick and staff all very friendly and genuinely happy to be serving!
My only negative, is that they up sell a lot which we fell for. The pakora on the menu doesn't say it comes with any sauces and the waiter kept askin if we wanted the yogurt sauce so we agreed as we thought it then had no sauce... The pakora came with 2 dishes of sauce and then we got charged 70 THB for the yogurt sauce - very expensive just for a little bowl of sauce! Also, they recommended the sizzling dishes to us although these were not what we originally decided on before ordering so we went with their recommendations (one of which wasn't even on the menu so we didnt know the price) and it ended up costing 150 THB extra than what our original choices were. I know we should've asked prices at the time, but for Thailand that extra 220 THB is a lot of money in terms of what it can buy you. So just watch out for them up selling!
But apart from that, the restaurant is very good!

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Great food & staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Terrific indian food, and a really friendly staff. Very hospitable. Garlic roti awesome with the yellow dahl ...winner

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Pune, India
“Superb food and warm staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Amazing food and friendly staff... ambiance is decent... Try chicken tikka and stuffed Potato... Top it off with a Gulabjamun dessert... Must visit place.. :)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bergen, Norway
“Excellent service and beautilul food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Just been eating at this New restaurant in Ao Nang, and will recoment it to everybody!!!
The service are excellent and I wreally felt that I was in India during the meal.
I will be happy to come back:-)

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere