“Good but 15-20 min walk to main area” 4 of 5 stars

Ao Nang VIP Hotel
470/1 Moo 2, Ao Nang, Krabi Town 81000, Thailand   |
Ranked #24 of 77 Specialty Lodging in Ao Nang
4.0 of 5 stars 58 Reviews
“Good but 15-20 min walk to main area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

I'm not a picky person so for me the rooms were great. I had wifi in my room . A bathroom and balcony a bed and a fridge . They have me towels and 2 bottles of water . I stayed 2 night . The staff is nice and helps with anything I need . There not pushy with tours and I didn't even book one while there . It is a 15in walk to the main beach area .you can catch a tuk tuk for around 20 baht but it depends on the driver . I paid 20 once and 50 another so just depends on luck . u might as well start walking till u hail one down . I had a 10 am transfer to koh lanta and the bus never showed up . I was annoyed but I think it was the company for the bus not the hotel . The hotel called them as they said the morning driver was new and didn't know where it was and just left / so I got on the 1 pm bus and they came at 2 due to some people they couldn't find . I guess these things happen. Otherwise it was a decent place to stay. They have breakfast in the am and computer to use . one day it worked and the next it didn't but I had my I phone so it was ok.

• Stayed February 2013
TerryP699, Owner at Ao Nang VIP Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thanks for your review. I am really sorry that you had to wait so long for your bus to Koh Lanta but the bus company took your booking then the bus was over booked so they put you on the next bus but failed to call us to tell us this. We only found out when we called them to find out why the bus had not arrived to collect you at the appointed time. Sadly during high season there are a lot of people going off to Lanta or Phuket or Phi Phi and all the means of getting there are at full stretch so these things happen. Its not nice to have to wait for so long and so we're really sorry about that.
To go to the beach from our hotel door is 15 mins on foot (no more than that) or if you take the local bus it is a fixed fare of 20 baht per person. If you go by tuk tuk or motorbike taxi then you need to agree the fare (i.e it is not fixed).
On the second day of your stay there was a major server breakdown with the internet service for the whole of Thailand which was widely mentioned in the media here. A server in Bangkok broke down and wiped out the whole country until about 3 pm. Thats why there was no online connection. This of course was outside our control but inconvenient for everyone even myself who needs to be online constantly to adminster new bookings for this hotel ! So I was pulling my hair out too that day !!!!
We're glad you stayed with us, I remember you very well and also the various conversations we had about the places you have visited in Thailand. I hope you mange to get to Koh Kradan and e-mail me to tell me about it as promised. Best of luck and safe travels. Maybe we shall see you again in the future - hope so.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
western australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I knew that this was a budget accommodation and so did not expect luxury, but the quality of this place was pretty dire.

The room only had a window to the corridor, so it was very dark. The bathroom was old, with the door handle rusty and hanging off, the shower was weak and cold and the general quality of the fixtures, bathroom and beds was poor. The bed was rock hard and the sheets stained.
Generally the place had no atmosphere, and I did witness the staff being very rude to another customer, although they were ok with me.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
TerryP699, Owner at Ao Nang VIP Hotel, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
It is with some sadness that I must respond to your review. Indeed almost every other reviewer appears to have enjoyed our hotel, found our rooms to be clean and bright and well equipped. I have never read anyone describe any room in our hotel as dire.

You stayed in one of two 3 bedded dormitory rooms. These are shared rooms and guests buy a bed in the room for just 300 baht a night. The room has air con, fridge, tv, kettle and an ensuite bathroom. Because our water is pumped there is always high pressure to every tap/shower in the entire hotel. Every booking agents website describes this room as a room with a window to the corridor of the hotel. Therefore you should have been aware of the room type and layout of the room when booking the room. If such a room was not to your liking then perhaps it was a mistake to book that room type. Alternatively if you had informed us while at the hotel then we would have done our best to move you to another room.

Bedding is changed daily and the room cleaned also daily. We have never had any guest complain about stained sheets. Indeed again you did not mention this while at the hotel so really it is rather difficult to know what you mean. I would have hoped that you would have brought this to our attention particularly since again you have mentioned it in your review. As you didn't mention it whilst with us I can only conclude that at the time it was not an issue.

The kitchen area of the hotel is a private area and during the morning this is in heavy use as we serve a lot of breakfasts. There is therefore a considerable health and safety hazard by guests wandering in and out of that room during the morning. The room has various electrical appliances on the go and hot oil on the stove for cooking. So you can understand we do not want people in and out of that room for their own safety. We had to tell you and your party several times not to go into the kitchen area but despite our polite request this continued. If this constitutes me and my staff being rude then so be it but we have to ensure that guest and staff safety is paramount. When a guest is asked to refrain from doing something then continues to do that thing we then have to be firmer with that guest. We had to ask you several times the same thing. Then when asking seemed to have no effect we had to tell you the area is off limits. You appear to see this as us being rude whereas I see it as a firm approach to avoid an incident.

Room equipment is monitored and things like door handles, locks and so on can only be changed during the low season period because during high season the hotel is constantly full and so maintenance cannot be carried out due to rooms being constantly occupied. Essential repairs only are undertaken like for example if an air conditioner breaks down. I am a little surprised that slight rust on a bathroom door handle in a constantly wet area would give rise to mention in a review.

As you rightly pointed out this hotel is a budget 2 star hotel and for the price, great service and cleanliness, good working wi fi throughout the whole building and a super breakfast every day for a low low price almost every guest seems to be very happy with the VIP.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

stayed here to 10 days and had a wonderful time! would recommend this hotel to any body! always clean and the owners are always helpful, the breakfast was good value and very big! they hotel can also arrange day trips at good prizes

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
TerryP699, Owner at Ao Nang VIP Hotel, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Glad to read that we have had another satisfied guest stay with us ! Thanks for your review (not even a mention of the damned rooster this time !!!!).
Hope to see you again in the future and enjoy your time in Thailand.
Bozeman, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

It was a bit of a walk to town but the good thing is that it was a bit removed from the noise. We had a room in the annex building away from the street. Unfortunately there was a rooster somewhere behind us, and we could even hear the prayers at 5am from the mosque down the road, but otherwise it was quiet. The room was clean and comfortable, we stayed for 3 days. I appreciated the fact that nobody in the hotel was crazy partying, nobody bothered us. We were on a budget honeymoon and this place was just fine for us.

Room Tip: We had a room in the annex building away from the street, I think it was as quiet as it could get th...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
TerryP699, Owner at Ao Nang VIP Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
That damned rooster gets more mention in our reviews than me ! We'll have to cook him (just joking) in some ways everyone seems to really like him even had some guests feeding him ! I have no idea who he belongs to but it does in some ways give the hotel a rural feel I suppose !!

Thanks for your review and we're glad to read again that we have had another satisfied guest stay with us.

We are not beach side but we can offer our guests some peace and quiet, great service and very clean rooms.
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We upgraded to an a/c room. Our room was clean, spacious, and on the thrid floor overlooking the mountain. We had a kind size bed, awesome. Good shower pressure, towels, tea, coffee. Service was awesome. Overall, I was extremely happy with this hotel. I loved it.

We rented scooters from Terry. He outsources them through some companand.they came really quickly. 200 baht for the whole day. You must wear a helmet. If you get pulled over they will charge you 500baht. You cannot spend more then 100 baht a day on gas. It is really cheap. It is the best way to enjoy Krabi area. Scooting is a must. They hold your passport until you return the bike. Every company does the same and most cost the same as well. Don't be alarmed by handing over your passport.

Surprisingly, it is really quiet at night. There are a handfull of restaurants around. Nothing spectacular though. Food stalls in this area are not bad.

The only con is that the hotel is a good 15-20 min walk from the main area. It doesn't seem like much but when the sun is blazing it can be hot. You can take a TukTuk, 20 baht a person.

I really liked the hotel but personally it was toofar of a walk from the main hub and I would rather have been a little closer. I would recommend it to someone who wants to sleep a little further away from the noise of the hub area.

Room Tip: Higher floors have great views. Our balcony had the V.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Hello and many thanks for writing something on TA. Thanks of course also for staying with us.

There are probably around twelve local eateries not including the street food. Particularly good is Don Muang station a restaurant where the local ex pats all eat just 150m from our door (up by seven eleven and the daily fruit market). Add to that the self service barbe que also only a few metres from us and the great Sanctuary restaurant just past the post office. A liitle further along is the famous Ao Nang boat noodle and by the second 7 11 is Pams bar with great food, drinks and a large screen tv for those who don't want to miss the sport.

We use a local motor bike rental company, we have used them for over 2 yrs without incident. They will bring a bike to the hotel on demand and collect it when the guest has finished with it all for 200 baht a day. Its a great way to nip around and see the area.

To walk to the beach is 15 mins but local buses run a circular route all day and well into the evening offering a ride to the beach or beyond for a flat fare of 20 baht.

One of the main points about the hotel is that by being where it is means its away from the hustle and bustle of high season and all the noise that comes with. So we enjoy a great location being both within a relatively easy stroll to the beach but far enough away to be peaceful and quiet. The walk also passes some great shops, bars and restaurants just to delay your arrival at the beach a bit. And don't forget to look in on Jand and June massage opposite the big mosque - to my mind by far the best massage place in the whole of Ao Nang.

Thanks for staying with us and for using your time to write a lengthy review. We hope that maybe in the future we shall see you again. Have a great holiday in Thailand. Best wishes.
Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Terry and Rung topped our expectations! They are very nice, the rooms are very clean and are equipped with hot shower, AC, fan,TV...we even had a balcony with nice mountain views. We also hat a DVD player and Terry has many movies to watch.

Besides all the amenities, the best were the chats with Terry, interesting and good. He and his wife helped us with everything!

I guess it is hard to find a netter place for this money in Ao Nang. See you next time, Terry

• Stayed January 2013
TerryP699, Owner at Ao Nang VIP Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
It was Axel for us an enormous pleasure to have you and your partner stay with us. A friendlier, more polite and easy going couple would be very hard to find. We liked you both a lot and we would be far more than delighted to see you both again. Have a lovely time in New Zealand and perhaps on your way back we shall see you both again. Safe travels and big thanks for writing your opinion of our little place in Ao Nang ! Good luck to you both.
Hua Hin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in Jan 2013, the rooms are bright, large and spacious with good air con. Very big bed. The bathroom has a good hot water shower and the room was equipped with tea and coffee. Bed linen and towels were changed everyday. Everything is very clean. The staff were very friendly and welcoming and happy to assist us with motor bike rental and booking a few day trips. We got good prices. Breakfast is available every day for about USD 4 and is large and tasty. Our room had a DVD player and we borrowed quite a few DVD's while we were there.
Outside the hotel there are quite a few places to eat and we really liked the restaurant recommended to us just up the road. A seven eleven is also about 200 metres away.
All in all we felt the hotel suited us and we booked for next visit before we left.
Thanks guys for the fabulous stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Superior room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
TerryP699, Owner at Ao Nang VIP Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Many thanks for leaving your opinion online of your recent stay with us. We're very pleased that you enjoyed the level of facilities in your room and found our service to be good. We try with every guest to go that extra mile and generally this results in guests appreciating our efforts and leaving positive remarks like you did.
Our breakfast gets a lot of comment as by Ao Nang standards its pretty large and inexpensive.
I hope that you enjoy your next couple of weeks in Ko Lanta and Ko Lipe and we shall see you when you check back in - we'll put you in the same room as last time !
Thank you again and enjoy your time in Thailand.

Been to Ao Nang VIP Hotel? Share your experiences!