“wonderful home away from home with a great host, Mr. Chang” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ao Nang Home Stay

You added Ao Nang Home Stay to your Saves list
Ao Nang Home Stay
2.5 of 5 Guest house   |   262/2 Leela Vallay | Aonang Rd. Soi 11, Ao Nang, Krabi Town 81000, Thailand   |
Special Offer
Stay 6, Pay 5
Ranked #2 of 101 Ao Nang B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Madrid, Spain
“wonderful home away from home with a great host, Mr. Chang”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We stayed 2 weeks with mr.chang. his home stay is a wonderful place of peace close to ao nang center. Allthough its like 5 m7nutes from ao nangs crazy core, you find yourself in a very quite, cosy place where feel home inmediately. Mr Chang is just a wonderful host, he'll do whatever to help, will organize what you need and answer whatever question or doubt you might have. No question i will come back to mr chang's home stay again when in south thailand.

Room Tip: Doesnt matter, all excellent
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Krabi Town, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I booked this thought the reviews on trip advisor and was so pleased. The rooms here were so clean and great for our child. Mr. Chang helped us booked some tours around Ao Nang and made us feel so at home there. Mr Chang was so friendly and would defiantly go back there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I chose Ao Nang Home Stay based on the reviews of other TA contributors, and I'm glad that I did. Mr. Chang is a great guy, who really does have his guests' best interests at heart. Although we didn't book any tours, he has a lot of information in the rooms, and offered to help us in any way he could. The rooms are clean, well-appointed and comfortable. (Great value) As others have mentioned, it feels very peaceful there. We didn't have any problems, although I get the impression he'd solve them instantly if they arose. It's a bit of a walk to the beach, (10-15 min.) although there are plenty of Tuk-Tuks to be hailed, and frankly, we preferred being a bit removed from it all. It's a great place to stay if you're looking for something a bit different from a typical hotel setting.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

If you like a VERY detailed review, read on!

Period of Stay: 17th Apr - 19th Apr 2013 (2 nights)

Cost (per night): 700 Thai Baht (including taxes, via Booking.com on 4th Feb 2013 - I understand from Mr. Chang that the price has now gone up to 900 Baht)

Room No.: 03 (on second floor)

+ points:
(1) Mr. Chang can pick you up from the airport if you wish (for 600 Baht, same price as the taxis from what I read online and saw on the price lists there) and the ride is about 30 minutes. If you wish to take the bus, it should take about an hour (that's how long it took when I went to the airport by bus) and it costs 150 Baht per person (so obviously if you have a group of 4, his car is the better option for convenience).

Having studied in Australia for 4 years, he also has a pretty decent command of English compared to most Thais and that's helpful when it comes to making tour arrangements through him (he arranged a tour for me with Krabi Kingdom to Hong Island with kayaking and snorkeling for 1200 Baht - the stated price on KK's website is 1650 Baht so I thought it was worth it. BUT apparently the prices vary and I asked some of the people whom I met on the tour - a Singapore couple paid 1250 Baht per pax for the same tour as me (arranged by their hotel) and an American couple paid 625 Baht per pax (though it did not include kayaking, arranged through a tour company as they hopped around various tour companies there) so you could shop around for better deals if you wish.

He is also very hospitable and friendly and you will find it easy to talk to him.

(2) Room was quite spacious, beautifully designed (my friends were envious and impressed considering it's a home stay) and well equipped (has TV, wifi, mini-fridge with complimentary 2 bottles of mineral water, mini-safe), while the toilet was very decent and clean enough [see my photos of room 03]. Area is very quiet and I slept well during my stay.

Wifi was excellent - connection was good, surfing was fast and I just needed one password for my entire stay (compared other hotels where sometimes I needed to keep going back to ask for another user name and password).

(3) Food - there is a restaurant which is just half a minute's walk away and is run by his friend. I had 2 meals there and in terms of the taste I thought it was pretty good - I had the Thai Breakfast Set (rice with soup and choice of meat, coffee/tea, fruit juice and fruits) and I enjoyed the king prawn (was big, meat was firm and tasty), and the papaya salad. I can't say that it's cheap though (breakfast cost 120 Baht and dinner was 375 Baht - with a bowl of plain rice costing 15 Baht, more expensive than in Singapore!), but then again in Krabi it seems that prices of most things (e.g. massages, food) cost about 1.5 to 2 times more than other Thai cities (in particular to Chiang Mai which I visited in Feb 2013).

- points:
(1) It is quite a distance to the beach (I didn't walk to there itself but I walked to the McDonald's there and from the distance on the map, I'd say it's about 25 minutes to get to the beach) BUT that may not be much of an issue if you are going for tours because they will just pick you up and drop you off. I didn't find Ao Nang beach a particularly nice stretch of beach anyway (compared to Railay beach and Hong Island which I went for my tours) so you won't miss much skipping that.

(2) There are quite a few insects around the area which can be quite annoying but I sprayed insect repellent every night so that wasn't a major problem.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Me and my boyfiend had a brilliant week at Ao Nang Homestay, our host Mr Chang was wonderful, great English, super friendly and very helpful. The best place we have stayed in our 2 month trip of Asia so far. We booked based on the reviews and were not disappointed.

The rooms are beautifully decorated and very very clean, nice sitting area out front. Easy to get to the beach a short walk or a tuk tuk to avoid walking in the hot sun. Lots of good places to eat nearby, we ate a lot at the restaurant two doors down which was nice and also cheap. Very quiet and idyllic location, after stopping in hotels before near loud bars Ao Nang home stay was bliss.

I would highly recommend staying here, much much better than a standard hotel room.

• Stayed April 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here 2 nights.. Wish we found this place sooner.. A real gem! The owner is so friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and nicely decorated, mini fridge, satellite with English channels and a kettle for tea and coffee. The location isn't great but isn't that bad either. You need to walk about 20-30 minutes to get to the ao nang promenade so we just rented a motorbike from the owner for 200 baht a day which was worth it. The only downside would be that the rooms get extremely hot and the ac has trouble keeping up. Also, outside each room you have a cute table and chairs to enjoy :)) highly recommended!!

• Stayed March 2013
Drammen, Buskerud, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We booked Home stay because of good rating (review) and we really don`t regret. Owner Mr. Chang is so friendly and helpful that I felt bit bad :) He drove us to our airport shuttle bus 4 o`clock in the morning him self, he helped us with choosing trips and all other things we asked.
He has many good and cheep offers for trips, renting a car or scooter (cheaper then in the city).
We stayed in Krabi for 2 weeks, I regret that we didn`t stayed in Ao Nang Home Stay both weeks

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ao Nang Home Stay? Share your experiences!