“Great Secluded spot for a drink” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #67 of 187 Restaurants in Ao Nang
Cuisines: Seafood, Sandwiches, Barbecue, Hamburgers, Thai
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Drinks, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The prime spot in Ao Nang, right on the beach. The most recommended place for beautiful sunset. Good selection of cocktails, Fresh fruit smoothies, The best coffee, Variety of ice cream sundae, Light lunches and Nice barbecue dinner with salad buffet and lots of dessert.
Sydney, Australia
“Great Secluded spot for a drink”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We headed down to the Last Fisheman a few times during our stay in Ao Nang, to sit in a lovely secluded spot overlooking the beautiful ocean and relax over a drink.........or two !

We went for dinner one night as well, but found the BBQ was the only option, so just had drinks instead, and headed back along the promenade for a nice Thai meal.

Service is "relaxed", but you're there to chill and relax, right? The drinks menu is extensive, and the cocktails and beer prices reasonable, considering the view you get to experience for free ! Sitting in the shade of the cooling trees is also a welcome relief from the constant heat on the beach.

I had an interesting experience here, when I ordered a Bloody Mary (Marry) - why? I have no idea. Anyway, when it arrived it had the tomato juice and alcohol in the glass with icve, but all of the additional ingredients were delivered separately ! It was pretty funny - first time ever I had a make your own cocktail in a bar !!! The joys of travelling eh?

Overall a great spot, great view - it would be nice to be able to have something other than BBQ in the evening though.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
“BBQ feast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Not sure where some of the reviewers ate, but I found The Last Fisherman to be excellent for both lunch and dinner. After overdosing on fish/chicken/shrimp etc in all the authentic Thai eating establishments I really craved something from home, beef in particular. One day on the way to the monkeys I stopped here and ordered a cheeseburger. Much to my delight it came with a side order of well cooked and tasty fries - something I was also craving but didn't realize until I started eating them. I love Thai food, but I needed this burger like like you wouldn't believe. It really hit the spot.
Slightly disappointing was the second burger I ordered a couple of days later. Not sure why, but it didn't taste as awesome as the first one and only had a lone pickle. Maybe it didn't have the impact of burger #1, but it was still good.

Dinner was admittedly expensive by local standards, but once again it hit the spot when I was all 'Thai'd out' on the local fare. The chicken was cooked to perfection, the fish fillet was amazing and the pork sparerib was also fantastic. The 'beef on a stick' was so-so. Only one of the pieces was cooked medium rare and the other two were a trifle tough. Don't order the sausage as it's bland, I prefer boerwors or Italian type for sure. I didn't order the prawn/shrimp - maybe next trip.

The salad bar was pretty good, but I knew not to load up too much on it because my 'normal hungry' BBQ was pretty huge from what I'd seen being served to my fellow patrons. I must comment on the baked potato. Normally I don't really care for them but the one on offer was the best I've ever had.
Creamy and hot and the sour cream went perfectly with it. It was also HUGE, so don't eat too much salad or you'll be leaving half your meal uneaten. The corn cob was good on one night, the other not so good. On the bad night it was dry and overcooked, something I'd put down to being average produce on the day.

Desserts were cute little cupcakes which were just ok, or some shot glasses filled with creamy banana or strawberry desserts. Both were awesome and it took a great deal of will power to not overindulge in.

Staff were pretty useless as far as service goes, but I'd be jaded too if I had to deal with obnoxious Russians on a daily basis. I had to use telepathy and Jazz hands to catch their attention at times.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tallinn, Estonia
“Good place to eat and chillout!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Good BBQ, maybe little expensive but tasty. Thai food is made for tourists so not so authentic, but great smoothies, fresh juices and big salads

Visited December 2012
London
“Terrible service with a disgusting drunken manager”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My husband and I went to the Last Fisherman after a day on the beach for a drink on the front to watch the sunset before heading back to our hotel. The location is good and should be a perfect place to relax. That said, we waited for a good 15 minutes for someone to come to the table and ask us if we'd like a drink. They never came and we should have taken that as a sign to leave then. Instead I went up to the bar to order. The waiters simply ignored me and there was a loud, brash, drunken American getting incredibly drunk at the bar. I tried to keep my distance but he was just shouting conversation at me over the bar, being very seedy, disgusting and rude - an absolute pest. He was the manager of the bar and the staff did nothing - probably too scared of upsetting him. In the end, we walked out and just sat on the wall outside.

What we should have done is walk an extra 2 minutes to the Last Cafe. Equally beautiful views and much better service and standard of management.

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney, Australia
“Good old BBQ - western style”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

After 12 days in Thailand and mainly eating thai dishes this was a great find.
They have 4-5 different meats and seafood which get cooked on a BBQ. Depending on which menu you choose you pick different meats and sides
Had the chicken which was cooked perfectly and also the ribs where really tasty.
You practically sitting on the beach hearing the waves and feeling the sand under your toes.
We did not mind that the service was avg as that was no what made the experience so good.
Give this place a go, very casual and worth it !