“A Treat” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 169 Restaurants in Ao Nang
4.5 of 5 stars 792 Reviews
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean, Steakhouse, Grill
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Doing business, Special occasions
“A Treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

This was our little Western Treat while in Thailand.
We had been strictly just having Thai/Eastern food, but both of us really fancied a steak.
When we arrived we soon realised they had some decent wine on offer too, which is not always easy to find in Thailand.
So, we had a lovely couple of steaks and a bottle of Malbec.
Its not cheap, but its not excessive.
The meat is very high quality and i would recommend this place to anyone.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

London, United Kingdom
“Our last meal in Ao Nang........”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

All good things have to end, like our Thailand holiday for instance. We went out on a high though, with a last night dinner at The Carnivore. A perfect evening, as always. Only 11 months before we return. All steak houses should be this good......

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“tasty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

this restaurant was across the road from we were staying the food was very good always busy they had a very good menu lots of choice

Visited December 2013
Lund, Sweden
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

Excellent and very tasty food, good service. Plenty of food for the bath. We've been equally impressed both visits during our stay in Ao Nang. Good selection of beers.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New Delhi, India
“Attitude of the Owner”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Don't even bother to criticize the food in case you don't find it upto the mark.

If you do choose to complain, the owner will argue that it is the best quality meat & he has been cooking for over 25 years & blah blah blah.

He may also say that there are always customers who can never be satisfied even if he complains about 1 dish from the various other dishes that were ordered.

He will also think you came all the way to Krabi spending a few thousand dollars just to get a free meal at Carnivore worth only about 100 USD...!!!

Well Mr. Owner.....you or your food or your damn restaurant are just not worth anything to me. You are not worth even this review but I am writing this to inform everyone else about your attitude.

The food may be a little pricey & the quality of meat may be good but the owner is cheap & arrogant.

• Visited November 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Gidi M, Owner at Carnivore Steak and Grill, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Thank you (again) for submitting a (revised) review on Tripadvisor.
Again I am happy we are allowed to explain our side of the story
To get things straight for all readers, let me first show the original review that was written by Mr. Manik on November 30, 2013!
This time you rated us with 2 out of 5-stars!

Looking at the reviews on trip advisor, we decided to celebrate our parents anniversary here.
The starters - the prawns & the grilled mushrooms - were very nice.
For the main course we asked for the grilled chicken in cream sauce, salmon, the seafood platter & the lamb filet.
The salmon & the sea food platters were very good but the chicken & the lamb were equally bad.
The chicken was more like chicken in red sauce & was extremely fibrous. It was somewhere between a thai curry & indian "kadhai chicken" & was a little confused as a dish.
The lamb filet was a complete disappointment. I requested it to be very tender - "melt in the mouth"- at the time of placing the order & it was anything but that. When complained about it to the server, a gentleman (who looked like the owner) came over & argues that the lamb is very soft & one of the best cuts of lamb. At 725 baht its quite a bit for 3 small pieces of lamb. It should have been around 125...or may be even lesser!!!

If this is what he considers the best cut of lamb, i would love to & show him how to cook a good piece of lamb irrespective of the cut.

Not worth it.

My reply 2 day's later was the following;
Hello Manik_1981,

Thank you for reviewing our restaurant; I am sad to see that we could not please you more.
I am happy that we as owners and staff have the chance to reply to your comment.

I would like to clarify a bit about our lamb filet.
This delicious piece of meat has been on our menu already for many years; you are the first one to complain about the tenderness of this cut of meat.
When you told me that the piece of lamb that was served to you was not tender; I did disagree with you.
On the same evening as you visited us we did sell 7 main courses that contained that lamb filet; we did not get any complaints about this product at all.
We get our meat vacuum fresh and the best way to grill our lamb-filet and our beef tenderloin would be rare to medium.
You requested your lamb-filet medium to well; this for sure will make the meat less soft and it will shrink the size of the meat also.
Our portions of lamb-filet are always a minimum of 200 grams; if the guests ask us then to grill it well done this will decrease the size of the meat.

Your offer to show me how to cook lamb is very nice; but we don’t cook steaks and meat here at the Carnivore; we grill it. I am sure that with any piece of meat you give me or my chef we can cook it melt in the mouth as you requested. But that is not our style of the restaurant we run.
All our beef and lamb (and duck, tuna, salmon) can be grilled from rare to well done.

I am now working 25 years in this industry and in those years I have seen things go wrong; management-wise, staff, products, etc.
And for sure we all make mistakes, we are only human.
But what I unfortunately also learned that some of our guests will “find” things to complain about; either to ventilate some frustrations or hoping to get some services/food/ drinks for free.
Still I was happy to see that you have finished the lamb served to you entirely,

Greetings,
Gidi Mevissen

When noticing on the 8th of December you removed your review (and my reply) from Tripadvisor I was a bit baffled! Was it because of my reply?
Or was it that some genuine T-A reviewers (the day's after you submitted your original review) contradicted your review by mentioning that our lamb was great (Shug 45 at 12-7-2013) or our position on TA was justified (C_kucukdevlet on 12-1-2013)!

Anyway I could write here a long reply that I can take criticism, that I don’t care how much money some people think they have, how your 2nd review is contradicting your 1st review and how sad I feel that you don’t like me.
But I rather spend that time with our satisfied guests here at our restaurant.

We at the Carnivore hope you had a good time here in Ao Nang.