“Small nice cozy hotel in Krabi” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Small, Krabi

You added The Small, Krabi to your Saves list
The Small, Krabi
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   167 Moo 3 | Ao Nang, Ao Nang, Krabi Town 81000, Thailand   |
Ranked #6 of 92 Hotels in Ao Nang
Phuket, Thailand
“Small nice cozy hotel in Krabi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

I visited The Small Krabi on my daughter's birthday for 4 days 3 nights. First, I am a bit worried and try to selected the best place fit into our budget and surely need to be nice place since it is our special trip and safe enough for a single mom and 11 year old girl. Found The Small Krabi via internet and decided to be there. We booked pool access room because my daughter loves swimming. Since arrived, we got the warm welcome at the hotel and starting our 4 days trip with smile from staffs there. The hotel is very nice and not too large. The room decoration is quite hip and nice. Breakfast is good eventhough my daughter woke up late and be there for breakfast when it almost closed but the staffs were very kind and offer her the service as usual. The cleanliness is very good. The location is convenience and not too busy. You can walked 5 mins to be at the beach and shopping street. Its location is not too close too the busy shopping street that gave us some privacy :) The pool for pool access guests is very nice and private, not too big and not too large as their name "The Small". I can work on my notebook and can see my daughter swimming in the same time. I really like this hotel and so does my daughter who was a birthday girl and enjoyed herself very much. On her birthday, the staffs greeted her happy birthday and sang the song for her. She was a bit shy but we have to admit that it made us felt as home and felt great that they remembered and recognized her birthday. The Spa in the hotel offered a reasonable price and professional service in the relaxing atmosphere. We did a few treatments and they were great, no need to walk outside just right near our room. We had a fantastic trip on my daughter's birthday trip at The Small Krabi. Thanks for make it happened and be good memory for both of us. I made the right choice for this memorable trip.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

This is not something i normally do... my mother told me that if i don't have anything nice to say then i shouldn't say anything at all. However this place was so badly lacking that it should be avoided. Bad service was only compounded by bad breakfast, no hot water and undrinkable coffee. I COULD GO ON AND ON, but i will leave it at that. Just avoid this place, the rooms were nice but other than that it was unpleasant to say the least.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

I have booked two studio rooms via AirAsiago two months ago, the deal was so good that I believed that the website might have make a mistake, its too good to be true and they have changed the price by additional US$40 immediately after I have booked.
The studio room is spacious, new and clean, but there’s no bathtub. Staff is friendly and helpful.
They have two swimming pools in the hotel, we can also use the bigger pool at Krabi La Playa, their sister hotel within a short walking distance. We have tried all the pools, pool at the rooftop is warm, and the one near the reception area is cold due to limited sunlight.
Distance wise, it is quite far away from the shops and restaurant, about 10-15 mins walk, you can always travel by tuk tuk at THB20 per person.
I have traveled during the low reason, there are pros n cons:
Pros –
1. Very cheap hotel room (about 50%-70% off from peak season)
2. Discounted tour (easily obtain 40%- 50% off the normal rate)
3. Discount given by restaurant (10%-30% off)
4. Less tourist
Cons -
1. Its rainy season and you can expect rains almost 25 days out of 30 days of the month of September
2. Sea can be so rough that resulted in trip cancel or unpleasant journey

Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

My partner and I booked a pool access room for 4 nights and no regrets at all! We had a good night's sleep every single night as the hotel is nicely positioned in a corner where it's away (but not far) from all the hustle and bustle. Do pay a bit more and enjoy the pool access room where the JACUZZI pool is right outside your room, it appears that they clean the pool almost everyday I was there. It would have been perfect if it was a heated pool as the water is a bit cold, around 28 degree celsius. Room was very clean with cable tv and free wifi! The bathroom was relatively big as well. One minor issue I had was that there wasn't any thing I could place my wet bikini on to air-dry so I had to bring the coffee table out for that purpose like what everyone else did. Housekeeping is outsourced so after a certain hour, you had to wait till tomorrow. The frontdesk only have pool towels and not bath towels.

The free breakfast was served from 7-11AM, pretty decent I must say. You could request for freshly cooked eggs to your preference. There was either fried rice, noodles or pasta and a selection of bread and cereal with a few side dishes like fried hotdogs/potatoes and ham. Not forgetting sliced pineapples and watermelons, fruit juices(not freshly squeezed) and milk. But I must add that the bread wasn't fantastic, it didn't look fresh or appetizing.

Customer service was inconsistent, depending on which set of staff you got that day. Some were friendly and greeted us with warm smiles, but some just looked indifferent. When I checked in, staff was smiley but clueless and didn't know how to operate the credit card machine. Maybe she was new but isn't that the basic duty of a receptionist? The photocopier was down throughout my 4 nights stay so they had to copy down our details by hand and that took awhile.

All in all, we had a pleasant stay despite a few hiccups. But the rooms were fantastic! Customer service of the staff could be improved. Hotel location is good, very convenient. Just a short walk to the massage parlors, street food stalls and restaurants. I highly recommend SAWADEE massage as they were clean and professional although prices are slightly higher but worth every cent. Had seafood at both Ao Nang seafood and Tantas restaurant. Prices were similar, go to Ao Nang seafood for the beachfront view and Tantas for excellent sticky mango rice.

Last but not least, rent motorbikes yourself and not from the hotel as they outsource it so its more expensive. It's so easy to rent a motorbike yourself anyone. The tourist info centre on the right of the hotel offer bike rentals too and it's only a 3 minute walk from the hotel. Enjoy your stay in Krabi!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

It was a relatively new boutique hotel, that is absolutely worth every cent!!

Me and my cousin, loved the pool access, though the water is a tad bit too cold. But no chlorine smell or taste. It is deep enough as well. It is near Ao Nang but not too close to get disturb by the hustle and bustle of Ao Nang Street.

Must do at Krabi are the Island Hopping. If u are there during weekends and happen to have time during the weekend. Go visit krabi Town and buy some handmade crafts and souvenirs and try the street food =)

The small hotel is great except for the choice of buffet breakfast in the morning. Variety is very limited. I also wished that the bar at the roof was open during low seasons. Also room service was a tad bit expensive. For cheap and fresh seafood, walk over to WangSai Seafood restaurant that is 3-5 minutes away from the hotel.

Recommend this hotel for couples, families and friends! Its that friendly =D

I'm definitely going back soon and do a scuba trip!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
sibu, malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

We read about this hotel from Airasia magazine and decided to stay there when we had confirmed our trip to Krabi. We booked for studio room for 2 nights which is also inclusive of breakfast. On arrival, we were warmly welcomed by the staff and they kindly guided us to our room. As soon as I opened our room's door, I was amazed by the room size as it was actually quite big and spacious. They had a nice rooftop swimming pool but the setback was the swimming pool was probably not routinely cleaned up as the pool water was quite dirty. The breakfast provided were really nice and with variety, but there was no enough seats for the hotel guests during full house. Another good point was the hotel provide free wi-fi access to all their in house guests, but the service maybe interrupted on and off. Generally, this hotel is conveniently located with good service and spacious contemporarily designed rooms.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Annecy, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2010

Four star hotel but would probably be a 3 star modern hotel in Europe
Studio room large and well decorated great bathroom flat screen tv
minibar with free drinking water ac system not that great as quite noisy and takes long time to cool the room
Staff friendly and speak reasonable English
Mostly western guests but also a few Thais
We booked last minute using agoda.com for three nights including new years eve think we got about 60% discount over rack rate for a studio
room
Very well located in the middle of the two parts of ao nang - everywhere is within walking distance
Great view from roof terrace/pool
Modern boutique style hotel maybe 30 rooms
Lacks attention to detail - common problem in Thailand - eg. Room not well cleaned , forgot to replace glasses, filter system on roof pool
broken whilst we were there, never any towels in pool area
Good breakfast - Thai dishes cereals fruit toast coffee eggs available fruit juice
Free wifi that works well in lobby but barely in room
computer and tv area
Ground floor pool only really useful for those who have rooms on ground floor and have direct access to pool from their balconies
Access to pool of sister resort across the road
Overall we really enjoyed our stay as we were coming from a cabin in the jungle before!
This is one of a series of 18 reviews posted during a two month stay in southern Thailand from Dec 2009 to Feb 2010.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Small, Krabi? Share your experiences!