“Food Faultless, Everything else Not Quite So” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel La Maison Rouge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   374, Route National 937, 62290 Noeux-les-Mines, France   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Noeux-les-Mines
East Midlands
“Food Faultless, Everything else Not Quite So”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as a family overnight in mid April 2013. My parents have stayed here before for a number of reasons, mainly for its proximity to Calais, and secure parking (their car suffered an attempted break in whilst in Arras).

We checked in and agreed to meet for drinks in the bar. We also booked dinner in the restaurant with the male receptionist for later that evening.

The hotel, at least what we saw, has a rather androgynous feel to it. The exterior of the building looks grand, but once inside, bar the humorous red everywhere - including chandeliers - you could be in any hotel anywhere in the world.

The food was exceptional. We all had the 40 Euro set menu and all thoroughly enjoyed it. Every aspect of it was delicious, high quality French cuisine. In addition, the morning Continental breakfast was comprehensive and well presented.

So why only 3 stars? Two reasons: firstly, the male receptionist annoyingly presented us with a bill for signature after EVERY round of drinks and at the end of the meal as we retired to our rooms. This was unnecessary and irritating. We were guests at the hotel. He checked us in. He had my fathers credit card swiped. So why a bill at every opportunity? In the end I simply left them on the table and signed before we went in for dinner, and before we retired for bed.

The second fault was with the room, namely a light controlled by a motion sensor in the hallway of the room which could not be disabled. This caused issues because we both got out in the night for the loo and each time we walked along the corridor, the light came on, and shone straight through the smoked glass wall into the bedroom area. In fact, my wife panicked when it came on and hit the light switch...which switched on ALL lights in the room. The main lights in the corridors are fitted with motion sensors for energy saving reasons. I get that. But I simply do not understand why you need one in a room, especially when it cannot be disabled? This led to disturbed nights sleep for both us and my parents.

The other tables for one in the restaurant suggest a hotel for business travellers, so perhaps they can tolerate being harassed for signatures for drinks, and for lights that cannot be switched off. I however, found both of these issues tarnished our stay here. Which is a shame as the food is exceptionally good. A pity.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Stayed here to be close for a return ferry to the UK via Calais, room large and characterless, dark flat-pack type furniture, nothing on the plain white walls, bathroom fan stayed on all night, no kettle in the room.
Restaurant pretentious ( a "whispering" restaurant), slow poor service with tiny portions. Starters included monkfish (3 small pieces for 15 Euro's) and main courses around 30 Euro's for a few small pieces of duck or a thin piece of Sea Bream. We ordered wine by the glass and the waitress had to check that we wanted a red or a white even if we ordered a wine that by definition would be one or the other eg sauvignon blanc. Total cost 178 Euro's for 2 courses each for a family of 4 with 4 house glasses of wine and 2 coke's.
We decided to miss breakfast with it's price of 48 Euros for a family of 4, and didn't have desserts either as the cost would have escalated.
We were aware of the cost before booking and expected a "fine dining" experience as others have suggested. This was nothing like that and left us feeling ripped off and very disappointed.

I would advise other travellers to avoid this hotel and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We have stayed in this hotel several times. Maison Rouge has been fabulously renovated, very well thought out with everything at your convenience. The fantastic chef is the owner and you can tell he has had a lot of experience from his father, who owns the Chartreuse de Val Esprit in Bethune, who is also a magnificent chef. The beautifully decorated red restaurant is a perfect stay for all you romantics, but not just for the romantics! The food is out of this world. The breakfasts are fabulous. Beautiful array of home made food. Well worth a stay.

Room Tip: All the rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sint-Niklaas, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We choose this hotel because it was so close to the new Louvre in Lens. The rooms are very nice, the breakfast good and dinner excellent. The restaurant of the hotel is very warm and modern decorated. We will turn back !

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
LONDON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Probably my best meal ever at this enjoyable stopover in the snowy February weather. The rooms
are always warm and comfortable and this time the food was exceptional. I had the daily special which was Duck Confit , as Michael Winner would say it was "memorable" !
Do stay here instead of boring Calais is close by and great (and better value......)

Room Tip: Tell them I sent you
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Algarve
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Stayed 1 night here on our way back to Spain from UK. An hours drive from the Channel Tunnel. room was spotlessly clean, staff very friendly and attentive. We had dinner in the restaurant which was superb....couldn't fault it. The restaurant attracts diners from the local area....also a good sign. The meal and wine was certainly a Fine Dining experience....highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed here while on a working trip many years ago, when it was a distinctly run-down and gloomy place. But no longer! Having read a few glowing reviews on TA, I decided to give it another go - and I was really glad I did. It's an old brick house set in its own walled garden, in the centre of an old coal-mining town. It must have been the mine-owner's house originally, as it's quite grand.
The bedrooms are all in a new wing that has been built on since my last stay, and are modern, efficient, with minibar, safe, hairdryer, free wifi connection, and plenty of power points.
The evening meal was SUPERB! I stayed on a Sunday night, so feared it might not be great. The set three-course meal (with a choice between two dishes for each course) cost 40 euros, which I thought sounded a lot. But it was of such quality that I would go and stay there again just to have the pleasure of dining there.
The staff were delightful. Someone even carried my suitcase to my room; I can't remember the last time that happened to me!
It's a good place to stay en route to or from Calais, but also for visiting World War I battlefields, and other places of interest. (Modesty forbids me from mentioning a good guidebook!)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel La Maison Rouge? Share your experiences!