“Awesome position...suspect facilities” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Waiwera Holiday Park

Waiwera Holiday Park
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waiwera
Waiwera Holiday Park
37 Waiwera Place, PO Box 47, Waiwera, New Zealand   |
Lewes, United Kingdom
“Awesome position...suspect facilities”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

Stayed here for a few days in April 2011. Waking up in the morning the views over the bay were stunning, and being by the waters edge it makes for walks along the beach really pleasant. The toilets were clean but seriously out of date and just looked a bit grotty, that includes the showers. The TV area was a tarp covering a old TV with some a grim seating area, all pretty damp. The people to recide in the part were very nice and we stuck up conversations with numerous residents. Waiwera was a lovely part of the North Island, with a bit of investment this 'Holiday Park' could be really lovely.

Room Tip: Stay in a Camper!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

14 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Christchurch, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

Lovely location - shame about the park. Friendly staff when checking in, but the park is in a run down state. Toilet blocks need complete overhaul - or at the very least a lick of paint to look like they are trying! We were thankful we only stayed one night and were in a camper. There is a TV room - well it is actually an army surplus tent, strange!
If you do stay with a camper, ask for a site on the waters edge. The entire little town seems like a trip back into the 80's.

Room Tip: Make sure you are in a campervan!!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Waiwera hotels

Auckland, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

My parent's stayed at this holiday park last week, with my niece and nephew. They asked me to write a review as they are very concerned about the state of the park, and they really don't want visitors to our lovely country to go there as it is such a discrace.

Dad's comments:'Toilet and kitchen facilities are well past their use by date, there was big pile of rubbish at the beach end of the park, it looked like rubbish hadn't been collected for weeks. The permanent resident's accomodation is a real eye sore, and the permanent residents themselves are a bit rough.This is a nice spot that we have enjoyed taking our grandchildren to for a number of years, but we won't be going back .Waiwera Holiday Park is an iconic place and should be for domestic and overseas visitors, I was embarrassed to see that it had become so run down and suggest that tourists don't go there'.

Mum's comments: 'The location is really good and we always enjoy taking our grandchildren to the hot pools and mini golf nearby. We always eat dinner at the local pub, wher the staff are excellent and the food is good (saves having to go into the camp kitchen). We noticed last year that the camp was getting a bit run down, but this year it is looking REALLY run down and shabby. Some of the people staying there were a bit rough, I couldn't say whether or not they were permanent residents, but they were very drunk and stumbling around. I didn't want to leave the children alone or let them go to the toilet block by themselves as it just didn't feel safe, which is a bit sad really'

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
waiwera
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

I actually reside at this park, and think this is a beautiful part of newzealand the reviews from all the people are about right for the state of the facilities etc,we as residents have been trying for a long time to get improvements to our home with no avail , but what i object to is the review by aucklandraulgh judging the residents of this park as hillbillies drug users and dunken noisy idiots ,you do not know any of us at all ,all the residents who choose to make this our home are pleasent friendly people who go out of there way to help anyone if needed , we are a community who like the relaxed atmosphere of this park ,true there are a lot of faults with this park , but not with the folk who live here , the problems with noise drink and drugs do not come from the locals but the travelling visitors such as you and your family we cannot control the people who stay one or two nights and who are responsable for those sorts of problems, so before you judge and insult the people who live here get your facts right then you would see a happy bunch of people ,contents with there lives in a lovely setting , i would not judge you or yours without knowing you so dont do that to people you do not even know , i suggest you go get a life my friend

Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Auckland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Yes, this is where My name is Earl is filmed.
The one night I stayed at this “joke for a camp group” my family and I were leered at by the hillbillies which I believe to be the charming permanent tenants (or staff perhaps).
They watched our every move as they rolled their joints, steered daggers at us and started their 9 AM beer drinking, P smoking binge.
Like the other reviews had touched on, the kitchen and bathroom amenities are a complete disgrace.
Three words “don’t go there”.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

Although I have read the reviews before I made my booking I thought maybe we just had a few people that just want to complain...but I assure you every bit of description is spot on!
The cabin was ok for the price..but the rest is jut plain shocking and unacceptable. I cannot believe that this place is still running or even allowed to operate.
The kitchen was the worst...EXTREMELY filthy!!, dead bugs on the very dirty ovens, cockroaches crawling on the walls, the kettle!!, come on people just wipe it at least clean!
I am all for rustic, but this was just plain dirty. The dining area is a run down tent with a few couches that I would not let my dog sit on...
Shame on whoever runs this place...Have you not heard of Handy Andy, soap and water?
I am embarrassed for your sake.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Glasgow, Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

Good points:

View and shoreside location

Bad Points:
Facilities totally run down - not a cent spent on this place since it opened
Unclean (+ peeling paint etc in communal blocks)
Insects in kitchen and WC (see unclean above)
20 cents for shower! One didn't work (trek back...) second gave about a minute's water

Tent for sitting room complete with TV. Surprised it wasn't showing I love Lucy.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Waiwera Holiday Park? Share your experiences!