“Great intro to Small luxury hotels” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Free WiFi & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Tanah Rata
Darwin
“Great intro to Small luxury hotels”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Nick and I were very pleasantly surprised by CHR. It is a fine hotel from the colonial era (top quality in every way), It has its weaknesses but all in all we will definitely revisit CHR if we are up in Cameron Highlands again.

I would like to take this opportunity to complement the security guards, Saiful (thank you so much for the fire lighting ceremony that was really fun we were very pleasantly surprised), the elephant boy (thank you for the turn down service, roses and cloth elephant), the staff from the world first class SPA (Crystal, Wati, Prima, Arik, Triwi, Cheng and Eva) and Stephen the pianist.

Karen Yap (stayed on the 5th and 6th of Dec 2012)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ilario B, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Greetings from all of us at Cameron Highlands Resort. Thank you very much for your excellent review, we are really pleased we furfill your expectation by delivering our personlaized service during your holiday. We would like to thank you for your visit and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Kindly regards Ilario

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

Only had time for a 2d1n getaway juz the past weekend. Was travelling solo and honestly if not or the resort, I wouldn't take the chance of getting caught in the massive jam (my bus ride from Singapore took 11 hours to reach - usually it's about 8 hours)!

It's my first time staying at a YTL property, much less of a SLH. So expectations were not high at all. But yes. Cameron Highlands Resort (CHR) has surpassed all my expectations.

As I was early and the room was not ready, I decided on the visit to the main branch of the BOH tea plantation. Granted, the view here was not as panoramic as the branch, but definitely much less crowded and touristy.

Going back to the hotel, without having to say my name, the front office manager, Allan, could greet me with my last name. And as I walked over to the reception counter, Fatin (one of the front desk staff) was also able to identify me without me saying a word. Of course one may think that coz they're not having a lot of guests hence the memory, but no. The resort was quite crowded during this festive period. Probably coz I was one of the only (if not few) solo travellers. =P

The room was big (canopy bed with an armchair and sofa and coffee table in the room!) and comfortable. There was also a balcony facing the golf course. Of course, like everyone else who reviewed. It is by the main road and could get quite noisy at times, but perhaps being the heavy sleeper I was, the noise was nothing that a bit of alcohol couldn't cover! =D

Had afternoon tea in the Jim Thompson tea room and dinner at Gonbei Japanese Restaurant. No doubt the food standards were juz so-so. But if comparatively to a Singapore standard, it's definitely cheaper and of similar standards as some restaurants.

Wait staff were polite and the manager (an Indian guy whose name I didn't manage to catch) was wonderful. As a solo traveller, I'm quite used to getting snubbed at (in some places!) or that I wasn't a priority. Well. CHR has no intentions of doing that. Be it in the tea room or Jap restaurant, I was well looked after (having my pot of tea refilled 4 times - without me trying to catch anyone's attention and juz coz they noticed my tea was getting cold. *thumbz up*)

There's an Italian man (whom I assume is of higher authority - GM or somewhat? - coz no name badge) who's walking around and interacting with the guests. And unlike the previous reviewer, he did stop by a couple of times (in different parts of the resort) and said hi and asked of things. I'm not quite used to this style of treatment in places I've stayed at. So I muz say I was quite taken aback but seriously? There's no doubt that service was at its best and genuine concern were shown regarding feedbacks given.

All in all, a fantastic place to getaway to (most definitely so if you're part of a couple =P) and no doubt the noise was a con factor, the service, the view, my room and the rooms within the resort which I spent much time in (library/reading room - which by the way has a real fireplace that was lit in the evenings till late, dining room, tea room) were way beyond mmy expectations and contributed much to a more than pleasant stay in what I hope will be many more YTL/SLH hotels to come!

• Stayed December 2012
Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Stayed in the resort for 3 days, 2 nights. Below are the pros and cons on the resort.

Pros
1) Lovely room
2) Not far from Tanah Rita town (walkable)
3) Nice resort (eg lobby, etc)
4) Very good spa. Therapist was very good and the spa was well worth it.
5) Staff is helpful and try to accomodate. I asked for one with a nice view prior to my arrival and they gave me one with the roof (eg no view). I wasnt very pleased. I asked for a change and the staff made efforts to meet my request for the subsequent night ; which I appreciate since they are running full house.

Cons
1) Too near the main road. Noisy... I was woken by the noise of a big vehicle speeding down the road. Slept with ear plugs.
2) Too near the main road. When I went out to the balcony, the air is not fresh - it smells like diesel. This was in the afternoon. The day when I arrived, it was ok.
3) Food is really so-so. Given the prices, the food quality is really not up to standard. You got to try it to know. Ate at both restaurants and both times - I was terribly underwhelmed.
4) The manager in the black suit appears to only talk to families. I was a solo traveller. Though it didnt bother me much. But I was surprised and found it rather odd nonetheless.
5) Room view faces the road. Road can get rather busy. The day I was leaving, it was bumper to bumper with cars. Not a pleasant view.

Next on Cameron Highlands
Worth visiting : Boh Tea plantation, the farms, the mossy forest/Gunung Brinchang.
Can give it a miss : the night market (stalls selling more or less the same stuff), strawberry farms (no longer planted on the ground but in rows of pots).

Basically if you go during December aka peak season (which was what I did), the car ride down from Cameron Highlands to Ipoh airport was a whopping 3 hour.. due to the jams between Tanah Rata and Gunung Brinchang and Kea Farm areas.

To recap on Cameron Highlands Resort, unlikely I will stay there again. Largely due to the location. My purpose to Cameron Highlands was for the weather, the green, the air. Whilst the room is rather good, the surroundings is not.

Room Tip: You cant escape from the noise. I read all the reviews here and thought I wouldnt be affected. I w...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Ilario B, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Greetings from all of us at Cameron Highlands Resort. Thank you very much for your feedback wich we value very much and they will allow us to improuve on the points you have highlighted.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Was a road trip up to malaysia. Hotel was a good place to rest and relax. Food not a problem for the non-fussy. Ample parking. Chinese steamboat food avaliable in the hotel resturant.
Security guards around the hotel as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a valley view. It's more cooler.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Ilario B, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Greetings from all of us at Cameron Highlands Resort. Thank you very much for your feedback and we appreciated you had some relax time in our resort. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Ilario
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

The hotel is gorgeous! I am really thankful that we made the right choice with Cameron Highlands Resort.

The receptionists were already expecting us and checking in was quick and fast (and early too). I am just so in love with the rooms and overall atmosphere! They kept 2 fireplace running in the evening at the lounge area. Everything is just so cosy and gorgeous. Breakfast is fantastic with an ala carte menu. The crossants are fantastic.

Rooms are clean/bright and airy. Housekeeping came to our room twice a day!
It was more than what I can imagine and the staffs are all so wonderfully polite and helpful. Service is really 6 star! There are insects that might sneak into the room from under the balcony door but housekeeping will let down the blinds to keep them out for our evening...such a personal touch.

It certainly do not have the flies problems like The Lakehouse. I am definitely coming back to Cameron Highlands resort again.

We are all so pampered and spoilt by Cameron Highlands Resort that I certainly hope the next hotel can match its standard.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ilario B, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Jueline,

Greetings from all of us at Cameron Highlands Resort. Thank you very much for the excellent review and for affording us the recent opportunity to make your holiday a personalize unique experiences. We are delighted that our resort and services have met your expectations in every way. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We arrived way before check-in time at 9.30am, and had planned to leave our luggage there first while we went to see the sights before the 3pm check-in. The staff was very kind and offered to put us up in another room for a early check-in. Though we declined, they very kindly arranged a taxi to pick us up from the resort to tour the Highlands.

The front desk and the other members of staff were very thoughtful and brimming with initiative during our entire stay here. My partner was absolutely thrilled at the rose they gave when they turned down the room. They were always willing to go the extra mile to make our stay even more pleasant. We informed them of a malfunctioning bulb in the toilet before we went out to dinner, and it was fixed when we came back.

The room was a deluxe suite, which was reasonably priced and absolutely enormous, with an amazing ambience. The only gripe was the noise coming from the main road, which can be annoying if you are a light sleeper. Overall, though, it is perfect for couples looking for a getaway from the hectic rat race of the city.

If you are looking for a hotel/resort to complete your holiday in the Cameron Highlands, I highly recommend you go for this place. It may be a bit more expensive compared to its rivals, but it is still affordable and offers much more than the sum of its parts, from the moment you step into the lobby, to the moment you return the keys.

Room Tip: If possible, get one that faces away from the road if you cannot sleep with background noise
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ilario B, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this review, December 12, 2012

Colombo, Sri Lanka
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

This resort is the best place in the Cameron Highlands for vistors no question about it it is charming and has wonderful views and history and atmosphere
The area itself is lovely without the humidity and is great for walking and enjoying the views of the company bungalows that dot the hills and the golf course views
The entry is impressive and after 4 hours by bus or car up some pretty hairy roads - dont look down! you will be glad to arrive
dont be lazy- this is one place you can walk around, Brinchang is one km to your left out the main entrance and tanah rata is 4kms max depending on which way you go, there is a lovely walk around the back of the golf course and you can even join the bush walking tracks from there
reception is everything it should be friendly knowlegable helpful staff efficient and professional
The F&B are alot younger and yes they lack training leadership and any visible direction
Malaysia will never attain the service standards of the Thais and in some places the Indonesians so lower your expectations
The high tea was terrific for value and standard, great choice and quality and a meal for 2- surprisingly the staff had no idea about tea which is what the area is famous for- an area for improvement?
We would have liked to have some cocktails each night however they had run out of key ingredients like gin and offered no alternative-
The rooms are very spacious and thoughtfully set out, bed comfortable lovely furnishings and nice to relax in if it was not for the noise
Many many other reviewers have commented on the road noise- IT IS RELENTNESS
I AM NOT A LIGHT SLEEPER but after all the scary references to no sleep we took earplugs
where do you go in the world that you need to use earplugs all night every night - it is unbelievable negligence that the owners and managers have not addressed this problem
the noise is so loud you cannot enjoy your lovely balcony and views the noise is so loud it is louder than the TV ????? can you imagine this we had to yell to talk to each other
i have never experienced anything like it and such a contrast to the beautiful property that it is
If you go you could not go back knowing that you will have no sleep - no relaxation
there are no rooms at the back of the property i am not sure where that idea come from the hotel backs onto thick forest only - all rooms face the road the golf course is across the road
the flat stretch of 500 metres approx of road is probably the only one since the base of the mountains therefore it becomes a race track
the Manager came out to greet us on arrival but was quite vague could not remember our names and had nothing much to say -not sure what the point of that was
no wifi in rooms only in lounge area and library
There is a staff room under the guest rooms and staff like to yell and park their cars in guest spots so expect noise from this area as well
the staff are very careful not to ask you if you slept well because they already know the answer
Housekeeping was ok they forgot something in the room every day which required a phone call
The breakfast arrangement is funny they have quilted mats under the tableclothes so glasses cannot balance and tip over- seriously how impractical and such a nuisance for staff
the quality of the food is good you can order as much as you like which no one seemed to be doing but us which is great option
no coffee plungers for coffee lovers and often not open and ready at opening time
they do make a lot of mistakes at breakfast with your order- they like to try and remember everything you say without writing it down and it all goes bad - so dont be in a hurry
there were tours groups there when we stayed - they ate in a separate function room
the spa looked great but no time to try and the prices were excellent
the dinner prices are well over what they should be and who wanted to eat the same food as home
I will be putting up a separate review for the Golfers cafe across the road - check it out its fantastic and also a separate review for the Hill station cafe in Tanah Rata another excellent choice and also some restaurans to avoid despite the reviews, there is no room service here either
This is a small luxury hotel but royalty or not you are not sleeping in this place
We cannot return because of this
as for sightseeing taxis are cheap by the hour , the sungei palas BOH tea estate is a must see for a beautiful tea estate they do lunches and have great cakes and a strawberry farm of course as well you will find it hard to ignore them
but it is overall a place to enjoy the scenery and lovely mist and fresh air - tired or not

Room Tip: they all face the road it is impossible to escape the noise

Ilario Botta

Been to Cameron Highlands Resort? Share your experiences!