“scenery great hotel maybe not so” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Planters Country Hotel & Restaurant

Save Saved
You added Planters Country Hotel & Restaurant to your Saves list
Planters Country Hotel & Restaurant
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Lot 55 | Cameron Highlands, Tanah Rata 39000, Malaysia (Formerly Bala's Holiday Chalet)   |
uk
“scenery great hotel maybe not so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

we stayed at the chalets in October 2013. We were visiting family in Malaysia. Booked through a website. On our arrival after much "checking" we were checked in....two double rooms. The rooms looked fine, the gardens etc., were really good, ( a little of old England). We had a strawberry tea.....enjoyable. We ate dinner at the chalets, fine, we all enjoyed a pre Christmas dinner as we were not seeing our family through Christmas. The rooms.......the beds were clean.....but damp....I suppose because the rooms had only a small window. although the view was good.....In the morning my skin smelt "damp". The shower was fine except that the water didn't disappear and the whole bathroom soon filled up with water which s l o w l y disappeared down the plug.
The owner was very friendly and gave us a lot of information regarding the area.
The chalets are in a great location, but are definitely in need of an upgrade, although will that take away the "feeling"? All in all we enjoyed our stay, but maybe one or two nights are enough.......our beds were definitely damp.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
BalaReservation, Guest Relations Manager at Planters Country Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
Dear Guests,Thank you for your valuable comments.December is the wettest month in Cameron Highlands.We assure you the sheets were not damp but the feeling of dampness comes from the continuous rainy season.We have since bought a new dehumidifying machine which on demonstration proved effective.We have started using these machines and it is customers feedback that give us the knowledge on what our weak poits are We thank you once again and we hope to see you in the future.

Planters Country Hotel(Bala's Holiday Chalet)

170 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

As the taxi turned around the corner revealing the elegant-looking front of Bala's Chalet, it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that my breath was momentarily taken away, it was totally out of my expectation- it was better than what I've hoped for. Walking into the lobby, I immediately fell in love with the hotel as my gaze set upon its intricately-decorated, old English-style hallways, furniture and architecture. The ambiance of the hotel gave me an impression of a cozy holiday getaway with your loved ones. The gardens were overflowing with flowers and plants of varied colors and species, I could think of nothing better than to sit down on the English style garden tables and chairs, have a cup of tea and read a book while basking in the peaceful and tranquil environment. I was staying at the hotel with my boyfriend for about 3 nights, and we enjoyed our stay very much. Mr. Bala, the owner may come off as a gruffy or grumpy man when in fact, you should never judge a book by its cover as his appearance certainly does not reflect his personality. Mr. Bala likes to share a joke or two and spends his free time conversing with the guests there who are up to a good chat with an insightful man. he and his wife go out of their way to help the guests arrange transport and tours so that they would get the best rates and services, just as they did for my boyfriend and I. The staff, though seemingly scarce, were very attentive to me and my boyfriend's needs and requests, and friendly enough to strike up a conversation with us despite their limited command of English. Wi-fi might be a tad bit slow but what would you expect when you choose to stay in a hotel up on a hill? It was not a problem for me at all since I wasn't in need of Internet during my stay. Also, there was a cheeky sign for parking regulations that is always set in front of the hotel that I find pretty adorable. The meals were a bit pricey but the delicious taste made up for the price, I especially loved their curry. Overall, some may find this review a bit too much but I was just writing straight from the heart as I really would visit Cameron Highlands again just so I can stay in this hotel once more :)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much on your detailed description of your stay at our hotel.We would like to use all your feedback to improve so that we can serve better.Thank you once again.
Tawau, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Went to Bala's Holiday Chalet without knowing what to expect for it was a gift from a friend for me and my girlfriend. When we arrived the chalet and immediately there was a sense of peace quiet. Comparing Cameron highlands to Kuala Lumpur was already a big enough difference, yet Bala's holiday chalet is a totally different level. The location itself is not far from the main road, however, the chalet being on top of a hill also allows it to have a furthur sense of privacy. The beautiful gardens adorned with bright coloured flowers and the English design of the chalet with much of their furniture resembling those that you only see in movies of classical England. Unlike the luxurious hotels around, Bala's chalet had a very special atmosphere to it. Although absolutely nothing like home, it felt like as if I've come home for Christmas dinner where candles were lit everywhere and a warm fire place for the cold night. It felt like we were in a living in a movie where everything was so untouched from a time long ago. The staff were also very friendly who always asked me and my girlfriend, "how is your day?", "how are you today?", "are you feeling alright?". In other hotels, I've never met staff as friendly as these who greet you and are ready to have a conversation with you, they initiate to converse with you despite having an average command over English. The management was also very kind to help us arrange transportation back to kuala lumpur. I cannot say they have the best scones as I have not tried them all, but from the ones I had in other places, theirs was the best among them and they were marvelous in the cold evening. Of course not everything is perfect or it would be called heaven, but Bala's Holiday Chalet really was a little haven for us which painted the beautiful setting for our little getaway. The only problem was there was a pretty bad connection for digi users. I'm really not sure about other tele companies, but they had wifi which did its job. The hot water was surprisingly efficient, thinking that a place as cold as this would not have much hot water. It does take a few seconds before the water turns hot but the heat is more than enough. I also found out the price as I was was about to write this, which I feel is extremely cheap for the wonderful service they give. I would like to say a big thank you for the team at Bala's, you've done a great job here, I hope and I pray that you would still be here the next time I visit cameron higlands again. Thank you all for a wonderful stay and this review I feel is the least i could do for all your love and kindness you have shown to my girlfriend and I.. :)

Room Tip: Honeymoon suite if you need the privacy.. ;)
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,Thank you for your warm comments and valuable feedback.We would surely use them to improve wherever necessary.We hope to see you again in the future..

Planters Country Hotel (Bala's Holiday Chalet)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Just returned from a trip to the Cameron Highlands. Second time we stayed at Bala's and found it has gone downhill. Food is overpriced and not good at all- we ordered the ancient indian set and didnt get the dishes that were supposed to come with it. Wifi was painfully slow and couldn't get it to work. Hotel was lovely though. Stay here but eat and do your wifi outside.

• Stayed December 2013
BalaReservation, Guest Relations Manager at Planters Country Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding our establishment. We wish to apologize that your dining experience was not up to your expectation. We are in the middle of staff reshuffle. We hope you will give us the opportunity to rectify this mistake by paying us another visit. Thank you
Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

Holiday getaway with our 5 years old daughter at Bala's Chalet Cameron Highland was awesome. It's just a good place for family who wants to enjoy a stay and feels like in a secluded place. As we are living in a big city, we valued very much the tranquillity, simplicity and personal touch at every corner of the chalet.

Spend 3 nights there with 2 nights dine in .. oh yes, we do not mind that spicy curry and the smokes from the fireplace .. hahahaa ... We just enjoyed the quiet yet romantic candlelight dinner with our little daughter. (Honestly, we can't enjoy the food in a big restaurant but very noisy with so many people walking in front, back and around our table, like the Steamboat Buffet dinner we had in EQ on our 1st night). The breakfast offered is very simple but hey ... it's a Chalet (just like when you stay in any B&B elsewhere - they do not have variety of choices but it's just as good breakfast you could have to start your day) !. Also, we found a good restaurant for lunch, with reasonable price not far from the chalet (can't remember the name) but it has a souvenir / convenience shops next to it and a small hotel (Palm Hotel ?).

However, we are very disappointed with the heavy traffic getting up and down around. It took us 6 hours from the highway exit (can't remember the name too) .. to go up to Brinchang, before we get to check in at Bala's Chalet at 10pm. Too late to be informed that happened especially on weekends and public holidays !.

Overall, we like the room (It's clean. The 1st night, we got a room at the terrace top with some muddy smell ... but I think that's bcos of the room location and the weather (we slept like log anyway...lol), the next 2 nights we got upgraded to a room on the ground floor with big window/ balcony, facing the garden with swing. We had a privacy breakfast and dinner moments and beautiful garden to just sit and doing some reading or some thinking while having a cup of tea. It's a remarkable moments and definitely we would want to visit the chalet again, in our next trip home to Malaysia.

Room Tip: Rooms with balcony , facing the garden
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guests,Thank you for your lovely comments.We would surely take into account wherever needed to improve ourselves.We would once again like to take this opportunity to thank you for your time in writing these comments and posting the photos.We hope to seeyou again in the fture.Thank you.

Planters Country Hotel (Bala's Holiday Chalet)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

A stayed there for 2 nights an had a very quiet and inexpensive double for 140rm pr night. There were fresh towels and drinking water provided for both days and a nice and hot shower. It was really great value for money, and it was amazing to sit back in the garden and enjoying the afternoon tea after a day of seightseeing.
The rooms rates are low, but the food there is a little expensive. We choose to eat all our meals there, which were really good, although we could have found cheaper options if we went down to Tamah Rata town. But they provided us with such good service that we felt like staying.
Further they can arrange any tours for you and pick you up or drop you off at the bus in Tamah Rata, so you dont have to get in touch with overpriced taxi drivers.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
BalaReservation, Guest Relations Manager at Planters Country Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thank you for your review on your stay with us.We warmly welcome any feedback be it positive or negative so that we can improve our business.We look forward to welcoming you back to The Bala's Holiday Chalet in the future.Thank You
Shah Alam, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Pros:
- Located in less busy area so it's quite and less air pollution. Can smell the good fresh air greenery around.
- Good surrounding
- Classic building in the English themes makes it unique to stay.
- The place is clean. Rooms are clean, The bed is comfortable.
- The water heater in the bathroom provides good hot shower.
- Overall a good place to stay in Cameron Highlands for the price we paid.
- The workers are friendly.

Cons:
- The road path leading towards the chalet from the main road need to be fixed. The roads are patched and bumpy. Although it's short distance but it does feel rough.
- I saw the owner drove in when i was actually in the rain try to get my parked car cleaned after my daughter vomited in the car. He parked his car, while i was busy with a pail walking to wards the reception got wet in the rain i'm quite sure he saw me and passed just like that. Not sure he realized i;m actually doing something but i felt he could a least have a courtesy to at least say hi or to peek at his customer. He do not seems to be friendly enough to offer any help or ask if i need any assistance. Maybe because i'm just a local Malaysian who does not seems to be of much value.
- The deluxe room could be bigger. Although the rooms are in good shape and clean, but it feels cramped. I saw the family suite and that seems to be bigger and suitable if you have a child even the infant
- The rooms do not come with breakfast. The in house restaurant menu is very expensive. Example: The Scones itself priced above RM20.. I never tried so i can't comment on the taste.
- A little more lighting during day would provide better ambiance to the walkway in the building example near the staircase. It feels very dull.

with the improvements i believe Bala's chalet can be an an excellent place to stay. I would go again just in case i can;t get any other accommodation or for the surrounding and the uniqueness of the place, definitely a larger room than deluxe.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review on your stay with us at The Bala's Holiday Chalet. We appreciate your concern regards the road condition leading to the Chalet, as we have write in to the local authority regarding this matter and have received respond from them that the road condition will be rectified soon. The owner regret that he overlooked your presence and not giving good impression on us. Therefore he offers to have tea & scones with you during your next visit to The Bala's Holiday Chalet. Hoping that you will come and stay with us in near future and your feedback much appreciated. Thank you.

Been to Planters Country Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!