“Love the environment” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Tanah Rata
Sungai Petani, Malaysia
“Love the environment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Overall, our stay in this hotel is excellent. We booked the Standard Room and the price is very suitable with what they have to offer. The King size bed was cozy and very relaxing to sleep. The room is very spacious and clean. There's a balcony that you can go outside and just experience the fresh air of Cameron Highland. When we feedback on a faulty lamp, in no time at all, they came and fix it. The service is excellent. Although it was a bit far from the Tanah Rata town, we love the environment there because it was super quiet and peaceful.
For the breakfast, on the two days that we were there, both days offered different menu and the food were extremely delicious. A mix of Malaysian menu and western.
All in all, I would recommend anyone that would like a relaxing vacation for couples or even families.

Room Tip: Tell the receptionist that you want a carpeted room because at night it will be very cold.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We stayed here between 22nd - 25th Dec 2013.

The good: This was our first visit to Cameron Highlands and we wanted a room with a view of the valley. We weren't disappointed by this hotel. The room we got had a gorgeous view of the valley and mountains facing the Gunung Brinchgang hill which itself is the highest point of Cameron Highlands. Our room was a Deluxe-King size room with pretty much all amenities needed for a pleasant stay. The room has no air-con or fans and rightly so as CH is quite cold during nights. Staff at the hotel was friendly and was willing to help to taxi bookings etc. And even though this hotel is right on the highway, we didn't experience any difficult with our night sleep. Room was kept clean and tidy throughout, however, it would get a bit smelly when the windows were kept closed. Nonetheless, can't blame the hotel as CH air contains higher % of moisture. Better to keep the windows open and enjoy gentle breeze instead.

The bad:

Hotel is right in the middle of 2 towns - Tanah Rata and Brinchang (2.5kms either way). Hence, if without a car one has to depend on Taxi's to move out of the hotel. Though Taxi's are not costly it could get inconvenient at night to find a taxi from either towns. We were told that Taxi service is available till about 9pm from both towns, however to our surprise, we got stranded in Tanah Rata at 8.30pm one of the nights. We had to call the hotel to arrange us a taxi to get back (which was promptly done!). Walking back could be a bad idea, specially at night. CH does not have a good pedestrian sidewalk.

Secondly, apart from location (nothing can be done about it), we were disappointed with the breakfast menu at the hotel. Vegetarians have a limited choice and we had to make special requests to an extra 1-2 things to be sent to our table. Any ways, I am sure the management will take notice of this fact.

Conclusion: For the view and room quality we were quite satisfied with our stay. It seems to be a good family hotel with most of the occupants being families with kids. We hope our suggestion on vegetarian food does not go un-noticed. Wish fellow visitors a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Try and choose the room with a sun-rise view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

This was my second stay there. Previously had been there 3 years back and it was a good place. This time round, having checked the reviews on the net to ensure the experience wouldn't be any less, took a trip to Cameron Highlands (CH) and stayed at De La Ferns yet again. We had a good experience once again. Not surprising that this place is still ranked as one of the top few hotels at CH.

Place was clean, rooms were spacious and breakfast was alright. A few pointers to note however.
1) Room service ends at 10.30pm. So you have to order early or buy in food from elsewhere beforehand.
2) The room aren't air-conditioned as CH is cold enough generally; mid day might get a little warm if you do not open up the windows to let the moving air in to counter the heat.
3) Located in the middle of 2 towns, if you do not drive, prepare for a 15-20min walk to either towns. Its not too bad if done in the morning or evening where its still very cool.

Room Tip: 2 deluxe room would have been cheaper but the family suite (2 rooms connected by a sliding door) pro...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

We stayed in this hotel in the Deluxe-King room for 2 nights.
Had specially requested for a early checkin since we were supposed to reach early from the overnight bus travel. The front desk reception was not helpful regarding the same.
Breakfast was ok. The breakfast closes at 10.00 AM and we reached at around 9.30 AM next day but was out of stock with most of the eating options.The staff also informed that they were not planning to refill the stock. Found this a bit odd
Locationwise - The hotel does not have any restaurants at a walking distance.The city centre isaway and not within walking distance
There is a restaurant at the hotel with limited food options and the only other restaurant nearby is the steamboat restaurant

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

This hotel wasn't my first choice, but hotels of my choice were fully booked in late May for a Nov stay!

It's a nice hotel and the staff is courteous. There was no noise issue although our window was facing the main street. We didn't have any problem with wifi, as noted by some reviewers.

However, the location is not ideal for those without a car. You have to take a taxi pretty much everywhere. There's only a steamboat restaurant and a gift shop next to the hotel. The town of Tanah Rata is 2 km away and it's uphill coming back (there are solid sidewalks so walking wasn't as bad as in most other Malaysian cities).

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Cameron Highlands is not an estranged holiday choice for me and my family. I may say with many old hotels around yet carrying it's brand that people flock these edifice. Among them I is Equitorial Hotel in Cameron which I visited a year or two ago. It was a badly maintained and non-renovated facility to keep up with it's 21st century customers' expectations.

This time around I decided to book in Hotel De' La Ferns. Although I despise any restaurant, hotels or anything else that uses the abbreviation "De" in its name. (To me "De" is a prefix that undo, reverse, do the opposite, or reduce the Noun to something negative.) But passing it few time during my last visit, finding the location in Tanah Rata and the typical french facade wanted me to try it out.

Booking online was an ease and I was confirmed a reservation in 10 mins. The room rate was neither cheap nor excessively expensive. Since I was there for only one night it doesn't seemed to burst my pocket. I may say otherwise if it was bit longer. Whatever it is, you pay certain value and we customers expect certain standards, quality and service.

Here's my story.. upon arrival, I drove my car straight to the car park where my bay was less than 10 metres away from the porte-cochère. There stands a male hotel staff at the door. I was with my baby, outerwear and luggages doing all the unloading, carrying all and sharing the load between me and my wife up the steep stairs to the reception without any offer to help by the blasè-bystander-hotel staff. Nonetheless, he had a cheek to offer me a mere smile.

Checking in was quick only because I was the only one checking in then. I asked if she had given us a room with a good view.. With sinister she said, "you have a gold course view" (not knowing later to my surprise). I trusted her and not another question asked. We were asked to go to our room by ourselves (hotel staffs here are like.. here's your key and go figure.. you didn't even need help to bring your luggage up to the reception. We don't think you need help to find your room). The same blasè-bystander-hotel staff took finally took our luggage and brought in to the room within 5 mins later (again, only because we were the only one checking in). Still an initiative, I tipped him RM5.00. He could have gotten RM20.00 if he had been attentive the moment i place my brakes on in the hotel compound.

As we landed on our floor and turned into the alley leading to our door, we were welcomed by dining chairs stacked up to the ceiling all along the alley of 3 feet. Leaving us 2 feet to walk through. However, as we entered. The room was above expectation with good bed, pillows and clean white sheets and duvets. It's not the best but 5 notch higher than the last hotel I stayed in, which was the Equitorial Hotel. Unfortunately, I was given a King Deluxe room with only one tiny window where as the rest had at least larger window openings if not a balcony. I was given none of such described. I asked the reception why am I short changed for the same price and they said I booked late and that's the only Deluxe King available. Terrible answer from untrained hoteliers around. (Must be some family-run motel business in their previous life). 15 mins later I called for room service to deliver a praying mat. i waited for 10 mins never came so proceed with prayers without a mat. My wife and I decided to go out and came back 2 hours later the mat still yet to arrive. Only later that afternoon room service came knocking with the mat in his hands. That is after I reminded them.

Later that evening, I was aghast to suddenly smell cigarette inside my room, when I only have a small window to assume cigarette smell came from outside. Plus I had the window closed. I told this to my wife if she sense similar and traced it to actually coming out from the bathroom ventilation duct at the shower ceiling. Concerned of my baby inhaling cigarette smoke, I immediately complained to the reception. Of course I had expected, and to no surprise all they could say was sorry and they cant trace the room with smokers inside. Again, no offer to change our room and let the baby suffocate.

I had to request for a fan to solve the problem as the room with a small window had a very bad ventilation and air circulation.

It was just one night thankfully and we were on our way packing the next morning. Without any further apology or even a 5% discount for all the trouble. I don't see it coming if they don't realise what went wrong.

Sadly to say, a hotel with a lot of potential to be more than a 3 star hotel yet poorly managed with poor service. I seek the owners of this hotel to either sack your hotel manager for his/her inability to comprehend basic "dummies for hoteliers" and what service is all about in the "Service Industry" or train your hotel staffs including your hotel manager (if you do not have a professional hotel manager with extensive experience in hospitality, do hire one) because these little things here and there will eventually marked a huge hole someday and ruin all your investments. Once hotel been marked negatively, it'll take years to come back to its feet. Before its too late, do something because I do intend to come back to your cosy hotel. The least if you know you have no better room to offer, you tell the customer upfront and offer options. Either you upgrade them if the similar standard is not available or your give them a discount or price such unpar rooms at a lower price. Simple logic isn't it? Customer only want to be treated fairly, given the same value with what others paid similarly.

Also, please change its name. I believe to name the hotel simply "The Fern Hotel or Hotel La Ferns" is sufficient to be outstanding. The word "De" reflects perfectly your lacklustre service.

Nonetheless, the breakfast is good and I love the steamboat that my wife and I had over dinner. Restaurant staffs must be commended for their friendliness.

Room Tip: Do not take the corner room as it has only one small window. Bad air circulation and stuffy at night...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

The Room was a typically average room but it was clean and tidy, the bathroom is dated and shows the dirt from age. The main door is very thin and there was a lot of hallway noise.
We had problems with getting the free Wifi to work in the rooms and unfortunately the staff were not very helpful in getting it working.
I personally thought that the price of the room was a little pricey for what you get, but it is the same on matter where you stay in Cameron Highlands.
We had steamboat in the restaurants and the manager was great there was four of us and when we ordered we ordered for four people, however he told us that 3 would be enough and he was so right.
It is about a 5 minute drive to the Gold Course and about 10 minutes into the main part of town.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel De' La Ferns? Share your experiences!