“Great for meeting other backpackers” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kang Travellers Lodge (Daniel's Lodge)

Save Saved
You added Kang Travellers Lodge (Daniel's Lodge) to your Saves list
Kang Travellers Lodge (Daniel's Lodge)
9 Lorong Perdah, Tanah Rata 39000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #9 of 11 hotels in Tanah Rata
Kununurra, Australia
“Great for meeting other backpackers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Really social place. I usually never stay in Lonely Planet recommended places, but it turned out to be ok. A great bar with decent drink prices (7.50RM for 500ml Changs), and even though they have signs everywhere saying you can't bring alcohol in from outside, people had bottles of vodka and mixers on the tables in full view, so the staff are really chill in that regard.

Note: If you stay there a while the staff will warm up to you, but they can seem a little abrupt at first!

Dorms are pretty cheap, but since the extra popularity of LP they've increased from 9RM to 12RM - still not too much of a budget buster, and I heard that you can rent a tent for 5RM - although it gets really cold at night so make sure you have a good sleeping bag!

If you tend to get cold, ask the staff for an extra blanket, they'll give it to you for free. I carry a sleeping bag and I was nice and warm - most other people said they were cold though!

They try and push thier tours and bus transfers - but all the places do that I think, and to be fair they're usually reasonably priced. If you have the time I would recommend doing the sightseeing yourself though - it's super easy (hitch hiking is a breeze in Malaysia, and the bus is really cheap!), but beware of taxis - I haven't met one taxi driver yet that uses a meter (or that uses seatbelts for that matter), and they will try to rip you off as much as they can - but it's still really cheap when compared to Australia.

So in conclusion:

Get for meeting people, making new friends, getting travel tips, getting drunk, but not so good if you want peace and quiet, or if you want to experience a more local feel. Brilliant location!!

Room Tip: Do the 15RM dorm - you won't regret it!!!!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

108 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Lindau, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

We arrived to Tanah Rata with Kang travel minivan from Georgetown and already considered Daniel's Lodge based on reviews it had. After seeing the room, we decided to stay, it was 55RM for a double with hot shower. The room wasn't particularly pretty, but the bed was comfortable enough, water hot and that was all we needed. Bring warm pyjamas, the building is cold and it gets chilly in the evenings, we ended up using our sleeping bags on top of the blankets provided. The wifi only works in the common area outside which was fine, the area is very nice place to hang out, read, meet other people... The lodge is a short walk from everything essential in the village. We didn't find the owner so obnoxious as desribed in some reviews, sure he tried to sell us stuff, but he wasn't too pushy.

We booked the half day Adventure 1 tour, the itinerary is the same as every agency's in town-
ride up to Gulung Brinchang - pointless when cloudy as happened to us
walk through the Mossy Forest - a bit lame, short, on wooden planks platforms
scenic view of the tea plantation - finally something nice
visit to the tea factory and tea shop, you can sample the local tea and cakes
butterfly and reptiles farm - very nice
strawberry farm - 5minutes stop, you are expected to buy something, no explanation about the farm whatsoever

Our guide said nothing throughout the entire morning, so he was more like a driver, nothing else. In the reptile farm, we met a group from a different company and their guide was very entertaining, explaining details about bugs, scorpions, snakes, he even took some of them out to take picture with, very interesting. The group was very happy with their tour, it cost them only 5ringgits more than us and they had a better experience for sure. They were from 4x4 Hill tour that has a counter right next to the Sri Brinchang Indian restaurant (which btw is great!), so I'd recommend booking with them or simply shopping around more, talking to other travelers to see if they liked their tour etc.

We booked a minivan with Kang travel for our onward journey to KL, and had no problems, the transport with them worked very good.

• Stayed January 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

The best thing about this place was the veranda and jungle bar which are great for meeting fellow backpackers to arrange jungle treks with, although they get a bit shirty if to take to singing loudly after 11pm - be warned!

It's a good location, in Tanah Rata with easy links to Brincheng for trekking and tours, which they will arrange for you if you want. The also offer movies to rent if you need to chill out one day. The rooms are very basic (in the loft!) but they seemed clean and were comfortable. Showers were warm.

Another benefit of this place is that Kang's arranges minibus transfers to all over Malaysia which aren't much more than the coaches and may in fact work out cheaper as they collect from more convenient places (such as Chinatown, KL).

No complaints about this place.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Domazlice, Czech Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Well, I can see here many negative reviews, let's a bit repair reputation. We arrived to Tanah Rata by bus and there was hustler from Kang's "Emporium". He offered us room, price and free transport. We accepted, we saw rooms and we stayed there. Rooms we had were 2 double rooms and they very nice! I dont know how other rooms, but be sure rooms right oposite Jungle Bar are clean and nice. OK, there is a bit problem when someone is drinking, but bar close early. We had nice welcoming by husbands wife. Owner is businessman, he try to offer you tours or tickets again and agin, but after we explained him that we will arrange all jungle hikes ourself and we will buy bus ticket on the bus station, he just say "no problem, i understand". Finally we had very pleasant discussion with this man and I must say in general our stay in Daniel's lodge were fine.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights and as far as reviews go, I don't really listen to what others posts because I am not them but just sometimes I wished that I did look up reviews before I take a room in a hostel. It just seems that the owners no longer want to upkeep this place, they themselves are rude and quite loud, they treat their staff like peasants which is why in turn they treat the guest likewise, this "could be" a nice place but I guess the owners lost all effort to keep the place nice and welcoming. Cleanliness is a big issue, noise well, I blame everyone for that except when I am the source of the noise, location wise, it's quite good and central, close to banks, restaurants but that's about the only good thing about this place.

Room Tip: don't stay near the bar at the back, I would suppose it super noisy.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

DIRTY,clean room only upon request, NOISY, rude, boss (husband & wife) are arrogant, husband is like a gangster-non stop smoker at front desk. the whole place is very runned down. It doesn't look like a hotel at all! Sincere advice: NEVER STAY THERE!
Never join their tours too! Only conducted by a driver who brings you to the detinations listed in itinerary. Can't even speak proper English.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Reykjavik, Iceland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

It's fairly cheap so it's good if you're on a tight budget but the dorm I slept in was nothing more than a hallway so there were people walking past you every five minutes. The staff was really annoying because they asked me at least 3 times a day if I wanted to do a tour with them (organized tour that costs money) and when I told them I already booked it at their travel agency on the main street they started lecturing me about buying it there instead of at the hostel (even though it's the same company).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Kang Travellers Lodge (Daniel's Lodge)? Share your experiences!