“poor very poor” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Smokehouse Hotel Cameron Highlands

Save Saved
You added Smokehouse Hotel Cameron Highlands to your Saves list
Smokehouse Hotel Cameron Highlands
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   by the Golf Course, Tanah Rata 39000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #7 of 23 Tanah Rata B&B and Inns
England
“poor very poor”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2008

I've read some of the other reviews and ask myself am I being too harsh giving this hotel a poor review? But I really can't say anything good about this hotel. The area is beautiful but the hotel needs some serious repair. I don't think much has been done since the war... I didn't sleep at all because our mattress was damp and the smell was disgusting. The water was not hot and fixed only after several hours of bashing about in the loft late at night by the handyman! I am all for the old 'English' experience as I am English myself but that doesn't mean it has to be dirty and delapidated.

Stayed March 2008

175 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2007

We got there reading a Malaysia guide and were immediately taken by the beautiful English style garden. being there is like transporting oneself several decades. An old British home to the landlord of a tea plantation built it, and we were told it had been used as headquarters during WWII.

The house is indeed charming, there is an old pub, intriguing halls, and it is dirty.

We rented two rooms, the bathroom had a bath tub with no curtain but a hand shower at below knee level, so taking a shower was an 'experience". Toilet tabs could come lose and it was pretty noisy. Ahh and the beds squeeaked too. We had a laughing night finding out 'surprises', no electricity in one room, the window did not open, etc.

We had a very dainty old style dinner in the old dining room, and I think we were the only guests. Too many people to serve us. We felt like transported to another era. We were offered the 'games' room but the tv did not work, the pool didn't have all the pieces and we just walked back to our room.

the garden is very nice and probably the staff is doing their best, yet we found it overrated, expensive, dirty, damp, although interesting.

We took a walk into town through the road towards a golf course and found an abandoned, empty parking lot with a run down bridge and it all looked like not updated for decades, the forest eating into it. That added to the run down feeling we had at the hotel.

• Liked — The Gardens
  • Disliked — needs update, leaks, damp, dirty
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2007

Stayed in the Elgin room. Poor water pressure. Hand shower. Breakfast was a disappointment. Charming garden but rooms are in need of updating. Mold on ceiling of bathroom. Walls needed painting. Upholstered chair in room was dirty. No bed skirt on box springs. Far too expensive for the quality.

• Liked — Garden
  • Disliked — room cleanliness
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Newcastle, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

I just got back from a 2-night stay at Ye Old Smokehouse. Upon first impression, the place is really cute, a Tudor-style B&B with lush gardens. The room itself (we stayed in the "Executive Suite" Garden room) was quite large, with a living room, bedroom, and large bathroom. On the plus side, the bed was quite comfortable. That's about it for pluses.

The room itself had obviously seen better days, I had the feeling the owners were using its historical character as an excuse not to update anything. The windows, left open due to a cool climate, let in mosquitoes...there was no mosquito netting on the bed, so my fiance and I were continuously awoken the first night by a persistent buzzing in our ears. The room faced the main road, so you could hear traffic whizzing by at all hours. There were two fireplaces in the room, neither of which were functional. The TV only got two Malaysian channels (why even bother having a TV if this is the case). The bathing facilities consisted of a bathtub with a faucet and shower hose; however, there was no way to affix the shower hose to the wall, so you could only hold it with one hand. Also there was no shower curtain so the whole bathroom got soaked. And there was only about 10 minutes worth of hot water (God forbid two people in a row want to take a shower).

These problems would be fine with me except for the high price we were paying. For that amount of money, one expects more. We ate dinner at the Smokehouse one night, and while the English food was quite good, it was outrageously priced. Their drinks were also rather expensive, for example the cheapest bottle of red wine was $35 USD, and it was almost undrinkable.

The best part about this place was sitting by the fireplace in the bar and sharing a romantic moment (if you don't think about drink prices). My advice would be, have tea or drinks here and soak in the ambiance, but avoid the accomodation.

• Liked — Charming, historical building; great English breakfast
  • Disliked — Poor value, lack of attention to detail, inept service
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2007

Myself and three friends from Singapore drove up to the Cameron Highlands for a four day roadtrip and we took the advice from the Lonely Planet to drop into Ye Olde Smokehouse. We shared a room for four at a reasonable price and then sat down at the open fire for a night of good conversation, laughter and a generally excellent time. The food on the first night was just what the doctor ordered - English food that you would expect from any country pub in the UK, a good selection of beer and friendly and attentive service.

The room itself was a bit weathered it should be said, and to be honest, the hotel has obviously seen better times. However, we were charmed by the friendliness of the staff, particularly the proprietor Edward who told us about the history of the area, helped us to book golf the following morning and generally looked after us - even reserving the seats by the fire for after dinner drinks and more laughter.

The following morning the breakfast came. Some parts were OK but if I am being picky the English was slightly disappointing - just not up to the standard of the meal from the evening before.

Golf the next day was amazing. We ended up with a few more beers in the lounge, followed by dinner which was astounding - Oxtail Stew. You really couldn't fault the evening food at all.

Another enjoyable night followed and that was sadly the end of our trip. The price was expensive I guess for the location, but this was far less than we were expecting, given the amount of Leffe Blonde that we managed to polish off.

As we were checking out, Edward, aware that we were driving back to Singapore, had prepared a packed lunch for us. Amazing attention to detail.

I would say that Ye Olde Smokehouse probably does need something of a spruce up. However, anyone who has stayed in B and Bs in the UK would be used to the chintz and the slight naffness of decor. To us, the service, the attention to detail and the level of relaxation achieved by four rugby mates was incredible. We're definitely going back.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
kiwi on the move
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2007

I had heard and read mixed reviews of the Smokehouse, so being a bit cautious I booked for only one night, giving myself options in the event it didn't met my expectations. I ended up staying four nights.

Who would of ever thought that in the tropics there would be a quaint Tudor Boutique Hotel nestled in the cool highlands of Malaysia.
The hotel is full of old world charm, from the typical English food (I recommend the Devonshire Tea in the beautiful gardens and the Beef Wellington) to the cozy Country English decor.

Contrary to what I had heard and read the room was clean, the mattress felt new, the linen was typically five star and the furniture in the room was newly upholstered. The service was excellent and the manager, Mrs Lee made time to sit with me and share some of the history of the hotel.

All in all it was refreshing to stay in a hotel with cozy old world charm, indulge in some wonderful cuisine and be in some slightly cooler weather. I am glad I stayed at The Smokehouse or I would have missed this wonderful experience!

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Santa Barbara
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2007

I staid there with friends for a few days in July of 2006 on a long weekend trip from KL.

When you drive up to the hotel, you immediately feel of being transformed back to a small village in the South East of England. The Hotel is designed as historic Tudor Style country Inn embedded in a mature, lush garden of amazing flora. Each bedroom has an individual style, which makes the stay even more unique.
The property recently underwent some major upgrades and now has new linens, amenities, mattresses, pillows, dressing gowns and some new furniture installed in it.

When we arrived at 5:00pm after driving up from KL, we were greeted by the proprietor of the Hotel and were invited to have a traditional English Cream tea with amazing scones, marmalade and English Tea. What a treat ! After that, we unpacked in our rooms, which were neat and clean. I staid in the bedroom upstairs at the end of the hall with a separate bathroom.

In the evening, we had a traditional roast beef dinner, very English, which was excellent (well, I am from Bavaria) and after that a good whisky and drinks in the library. We made it a point to check out all the rooms and pictures on the wall as you easily can imagine the amazing guests, which must have stayed here over the decades.

The Breakfast in the morning was English with lot's of eggs, very delicious muffins and also croissants and even Eggs Benedict, if you wanted.

While not the swankiest place in Malaysia and in a way cozier class than a mass product like the ShangriLa, the SmokeHouse is a unique English Hotel in the middle of Malaysia not to be missed on your trip through South-East Asia

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Smokehouse Hotel Cameron Highlands? Share your experiences!