“McAllisters is great!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Florida
“McAllisters is great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

McAllisters consistently has great food. Portions are large. Waitstaff was pleasant and considerate. Loved the Chicken Pot Pie. Soups were excellent (Chowder and Chicken, Vegetable, and Rice). The bagpipes announcing a birthday was a hoot. Went on a Friday around 5:30, very busy but not slammed but could see more folks showing up. Ate indoors but will try outdoors next time. Thought we got there early but parking for Downtown Lakewood Ranch was packed. Entire downtown was jamming.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Florida
“Never again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

We had actually wanted to go to Ruby Tuesdays in the area, but forgot the rowing competitions were that day so there was a 35 minute wait. Unfortunately fate lead us to MacAllisters. We were seated immediately, but it took 10 minutes before anyone acknowledged that we had been seated. During this 10 minutes at least a half dozen employees, INCLUDING our own server, passed by our table without saying a word!!!! Twice we attempted to get the attention of one of them, but failed. At one point during our fruitless wait, our server (who we did not know was our server) smiled at us, but said nothing, and walked away to take care of a check. We should had left, but it was now about that time where the waits for a lot of restaurants are 30-45 minutes. This decision was mistake number two. I ordered a cheeseburger medium, simple. When it arrived (fast enough), I cut into it and blood juices oozed onto my plate. It was still mostly bright pink inside. I sent it back and the second burger arrived timely and cooked correctly, but it was far from what I would consider a tasty burger. In fact, I would call it below average. Do I recommend this place? No, and I certainly would never go back. It was a double fail for me service and food!

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Lakewood Ranch
“Good Food in a Relaxed, Casual Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

We live in Lakewood Ranch and have been to MacAllisters dozens of times. It is not an upscale place like the Bijou Cafe or Mattisons or the fine dining at Marina Jack in downtown Sarasota. It doesn't have gourmet food like the restaurants we've eaten at in New York City, New Orleans and Paris, France. However, it doesn't pretend to be an upscale, gourmet restaurant. It's a casual eatery and pub. The food is almost always very good; we have found the wait staff courteous and pleasant; and the atmosphere is very relaxed. The decor is a Scottish and golf motif with a large wall mural of a Scottish castle and surrounding countryside. When the weather is pleasant, we especially enjoy the outdoor cafe.

Lakewood Ranch
“Question People Who Complain About Rude Wait Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

I remember a few years ago when my husband and I were planning a trip to Paris and I was told by a co-worker that the Parisians are extremely rude. We went to Paris for two weeks. I showed repect for the French culture; did not try to impose American culture on the French or act arrogrant. I even tried to speak a little French (studied some French words for a few weeks before the trip.) On our trip to Paris, we met many, many, many Parisians who were not only polite but also very friendly and helpful. Then I began to wonder why my co-worker said he encountered, as he said, such "rude Parisians" and I realized it's because this co-worker is a rude person, arrogant, self-centered and full of himself. I would not be surprised if the people who complained about a rude wait staff at MacAllisters Restaurant treated the wait staff in a very rude and condescending manner. I have been to MacAllisters dozens of times (we even have a loyalty card) and have never experienced a rude hostess or waiter. Also, if you don't want to wait 45 minutes, don't come on "First Fridays" when Lakewood Ranch Main Street has an outdoor concert and the street is mobbed by thousands of people!

NW New Jersey
“glad we took a chance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

We almost changed our plans after reading the negative reviews, but had been meaning to try this place for a while as my husband is Scottish. We had a very nice experience and good food and service! The restaurant was very full the Wednesday we visited, and house wines were half price, which was a nice surprise. My husband enjoyed the large selection of Scotch whisky and his Scottish beer. We started with some very good appetizers, mussels and the spinach & mushroom dip which tasted more of mushrooms than spinach. Soup, chowder and salads were also good, as were our entrees: fish & chips, sauteed cod, and filets, cooked as requested. The only negatives were a couple of sauces, the madeira was overly thick and gravy like, and the house sauce much too salty. But we'll be back!