“Such a shame” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Deddington, United Kingdom
“Such a shame”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Turnpike is an exceptional venue but the standard of service and quality of the meals of late is just not consistently good enough. The newish system of waiting to be seated is certainly better tham the old rugger scrum of ordering at the bar, providing that you are not ingnored. I have been lucky and never have been ignored under the current system but I have seen couples just walk out after not receiving any attention after a reasonable amount of time. Front of house is very important, customers need to be valued.
On my last visit, a Wednesday in early January 2013, the manager and one waitress were trying to work the whole restaurant with a chap doing his best with drinks Etc. Despite their hard work, they could not cope adequately with trying to take orders, clear tables, bring out food and taking further orders for desserts. I know that on some occasions food was waiting at the kitchen for want of someone to collect it ! Other diners on at least two tables near to us were getting a bit agitated with non taking of orders and food service delays.
My wife and I elected to try the Wednesday Pie Specials. We had the pudding style pie but found that they had been hard baked rather than steamed so had an almost inedible crust. They were to be served with a "medley of vegetables" that turned out to be a couple of brussel sprouts and a few green beans, not quite what we had hoped for. The side order of cauliflower cheese was also a big disapointment being very undercooked with a watery cheese sauce. On paying, I did advise on the shortcomings of the cauliflower cheese but did not have the heart to express my overall concerns re the whole dining experience to the very likeable waitress who I could see was working really hard. I suspect that being part of a chain, there will be pressure from head office, to keep staff costs to a minimum and maybe this policy is also affecting the quality of food. There have been a number of previous visits, over the recent years, where I have said to myself "lets give them another try" but based on my last vist, I will not risk it again. Such a shame.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Really lovely old pub, that looks as good on the inside as the outside. Great feel to the place with exposed beams and a nice open fire.

We went there for lunch, food was excellent (I had fish cakes) and there was some nice local ale. Puddings looked great but I had no room left.

Service was great, efficient and friendly.

Abingdon, England
“Much better than expected from some of these reviews.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Went as part of a group of 10 with slight trepidation after reading some of these reviews, but fears were unfounded.
The service was excellent. We had pre-ordered and, despite a couple of people changing their order on arrival, the starters were served quite quickly after we were seated. There was a perfectly acceptable time between each course - you need time between, not to have each course thrown at you straight after the last. The place was pretty full, but the staff coped with it efficiently and in a friendly way. We had no complaints about service and heard none from others around us.
Generally speaking the food was very good, with plenty of choice and reasonably priced. A couple of our group said their steak was a bit tough (for which they got a free pudding) and one was undercooked, which was quickly rectified. However, my husband had the same steak and his was fine. Everything I had was delicious and cooked to perfection, with plenty on the plates.
All the staff were friendly and helpful, there is a good atmosphere and the layout is nice with lots of nooks and crannies and an open fire in the bar.
One minor, slightly irrelevant point - whoever does the chalk boards needs to learn to spell ad not put a dot on a capital I !!!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Completely ignored!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

On entering this establishment what seemed to be the manageress showed no interest in the fact that we had walked In, we stood for a few mins as she kept rushing passed us with no acknowledgement at all. A women had to stop her to ask her why they had been there an hour and not been served, on hearing that we decided not to wait any longer! I went to the bar to and said to the woman that seeing as our custom was not wanted we would leave, she said nothing!
I won't waste my time going there again!!!

Hamilton
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Lovely place, great staff and excellent food which was reasonably priced. Ample parking and a the restaurant had a great feel to it. Would strongly recommend a visit.

Visited December 2012