“Great food, great service” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   11 Oxford Rd, Kidlington OX5 2QD, England   |
Ranked #3 of 8 Kidlington B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Great food, great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

The Bell provided the perfect location for a 50th Birthday family meal. Excellent food, great atmosphere and friendly, attentive and efficient service. We couldn't fault anything and 3 generations agreed it was the perfect way to celebrate. We would not hesitate to recommend the Bell - and will definitely be paying a return visit.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
belleoxford, Manager at The Bell at Hampton Poyle, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Thank you for your review, we are very happy that the whole family enjoyed the birthday celebration. We look forward to having you here again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Weybridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Stayed the night at The Bell for my birthday treat and I must say if you want a chill out night away then this is a must. The food is excellent as was the breakfast and the interior is very stylish. The only niggle I would have is that when we came down for pre dinner drinks and sat in the bar area we were completely ignored. The waiter was going up to everyone else giving out menus to choose their evening meals but didn't come to us even though we were staying there so I got up and got them myself from reception - we chose what we would like to eat and was once again ignored until I asked if we could order - it was like we were invisible. Once at the table the service was excellent. It is a very popular place and the restaurant was full. We would definitely go back.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind comment. I have spoken to my assistant manager about the issue and I appreciate your honest review. We are pleased to hear you have enjoyed the rest of your experience and we hope to see you soon.
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Tired and hungry, it took time to find this place.
Am not used to isolated place so for me it was isolated but wow, this is such a lovely place.
We've been welcomed by a nice team who gave us a charming seat with a chimney...
There we enjoyed ales and yummy yummy food (burger and vegetarian Tatin) and the pizza looked just amasing!!!
Service was great but the bill was pricy...

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
We very much appreciate your review and we are very pleased you have enjoyed your meal with us. Hope to see you again soon!
Bath
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Having been a Wedding planner for over 3000 weddings it was always going to be tricky to find a venue that suited me in a different part of the country to where I worked.
We knew it was a long shot but we really wanted something small, well laid out, well kept; great food and drink with exceptional service. Not a lot to ask you would think but on closer inspection we came up with a short list of one.
After looking around for a few months we remembered the great meal and service we had previously had at the Bell.
Bearing in mind I live 200 miles away, originally from the area and that I had very little time to visit; our Wedding was arranged over 18 months with 2 visits, 3 emails and 2 phone calls. This is a credit to Suzy, Henry, Chef and the team as the whole weekend was amazing.
The greeting the night before as we stayed with some of our guests was excellent with a quick run through of final table items, flowers, cakes, running order etc being done and quite frankly nailed.
The food was perfect served at perfect temperature in good time and fantastic quality along with the wines.
Service could not be faulted and the day ran so smoothly.
Having a couple of food critics in our party , we knew that we could be a tough act but, we have had nothing but great comments even to the point of being asked if we could re new our vows every year so we could all get together here again.
Yes, we had great weather, we were able to sit outside until darkness and great company but without the service, food, lovely rooms and fantastic atmosphere it would not have been the wonderful wedding weekend that we just had.
We were a party of 45 and took all the rooms, used the top part of the restaurant and it gave plenty of rooms for our guests. Used the bar and associated areas plus outside during the rest of the day and night.
Thank you all so much, this is a venue that will go from strength to strength with Weddings.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Clare and Carl,
thank you very much for your kind comments. It was a pleasure to have you and we are all very pleased to hear that everyone enjoyed it. It was a great wedding indeed. I do apologise for the late reply, but you know how it goes - a few more weddings in May and time just flies.
I hope you had a lovely honeymoon and we look forward to seeing you here soon! All the best xx
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

We visited The Bell at Hampton Poyle at Easter time.
We had a lovely table in the busy (and obviously very popular) restaurant. The food was exceptional. We shared a wonderful starter of 12 Grilled King Prawns, garlic & mozzarella flatbread, chilli ginger dip and aioli and then the chateaubriand – which was on the specials board - to follow. The food was cooked to perfection.
We treated ourselves to a bottle of Malbec reserve (upon the Waiter’s advice) which was a perfect accompaniment.
The only downside for me was as follows ... I had been bought a ‘voucher’ – not Groupon or some such BOGOF offer – a £100.00 gift voucher. There was a rather confused reception to it when I presented it for payment and the gentleman serving us told me that he hadn’t realised that we had a voucher(!) and that ‘there was nothing in the book’. I am still not entirely sure what difference that would have made. However, since there were no terms and conditions on the voucher I did say that I didn’t realise that I needed to flag this at the time of booking or indeed upon arrival. I was told that the template needed to be updated ! [That I will leave to their administration department.] It was all very awkward and left me feeling very disappointed. It was a shame that happened at the end of what would have been a lovely evening. We did call the next day to give this feedback and we were told that I could visit again and have a complimentary glass of champagne. Since I have an under 1 and the notice on the door (rather unwelcomingly) reminds you that only children who are able to sit and enjoy the ambience (or similar wording) are welcome I doubt I’ll trouble myself to visit again.
A real shame as it was on my list of 'must visit' places for a while.

London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Booked this hotel for an Xmas present for the wife, as the reviews seemed very positive.
Had an issue with the first booking, as we were going to struggle to get there during the storms, but the hotel happily changed it to another date. Unfortunately the hotel had an issue (a leak apparently) on the second booking date and had to cancel on us, but offered to arrange alternative accommodation on the same day, or a free meal if booked on another. Took the 2nd option. So initial impressions on customer service very good.
Finally arrived this weekend just gone, and were nicely welcomed and shown to room 1 (if you get a choice, this is the room to get!). Lovely spacious room, tastefully and well decorated, and a huge bathroom with a massive shower.
Went down for (free!) dinner, and the restaurant was very busy, which means its probably good... and that was confirmed. I had 2 items off of the specials board, the mussels in cider and cream were probably the best Ive ever had (and I eat mussels a lot). Main course was pork belly with mash and greens for the wife which was excellently cooked, and duck on puy lentils for me. This was my only downer on the whole weekend, the duck was cooked beautifully, but the puy lentils completely overpowered it in taste. I like both ingredients, but (in my opinion,and Im not John Torode!) they shouldn't be mixed. Finally Mrs B had the brownie, which was just right. Excellent wine selection (went for the Pinot Noir which was fantastic), and serving staff were just right in friendliness and professionalism. Particular comment to the drinks waitress who was exceptional.
Off to bed, in the queen sized comfortable bed, waking up refreshed for the (well timed) late breakfast. The full cokked breakfast was presented with good quality products, well cooked, and perfect eggs.
Easy check out, and off to Bicester Village (just up the road) for designer outlet retail therapy.
In short, fantastic location, excellent accommodation, great staff, lovely food, and happy wife!

Room Tip: Room 1, Room 1, Room 1...................
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
belleoxford, General Manager at The Bell at Hampton Poyle, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Thank you ever so much again for your understanding! We are very pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay, meal, service and the ambience of the Bell. The maintenance work is all up to scratch now, so do not hesitate to contact us again and there will no issues this time! (No free dinner this time ha ha :) but for direct bookings we do offer a complimentary mini bottle of prosecco!) We look forward to hearing from you soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

We went for dinner on a recent Saturday evening. I had duck with potatoes which was a very small portion which at best was average. My wife ordered vegetable tarte tatin with salad. The waitress informed us that the salad was only a garnish and that we would probably need to order a side salad which we did. This meant the price for the tart and the salad came to £17.75. The tart when it came was not cooked properly because the pastry was soggy at the bottom. I think this was totally overpriced for a vegetarian meal. The staff were very good and it is a nice restaurant but we will not be returning.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Been to The Bell at Hampton Poyle? Share your experiences!