“Unforgettable stay and magical wedding. Attention to detail on every aspect.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kahanda Kanda

and 1 more site!
You added Kahanda Kanda to your Saves list
Kahanda Kanda
Angulugaha, Galle 80000, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Angulugaha
Melbourne, Australia
“Unforgettable stay and magical wedding. Attention to detail on every aspect.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We recently chose Kahanda Kanda as our wedding venue for approximately 70 guests who travelled from predominantly Australia as well as UK, Asia and around Sri Lanka. I selected this venue after reading the outstanding reviews of the property and of the owner/operator George Cooper and his fabulous staff. Even going to KK with the knowledge that this would be an amazing place, it completely exceeded my expectations! I could not be more grateful to the KK team for making my wedding day an unforgettable experience so I want to take the appropriate time to write this review and my glowing feedback on all aspects of my stay. I would recommend KK and Sri Lanka as the ultimate wedding destination, not only will KK give you an unimaginable wedding experience, Sri Lanka will give your guests an unforgettable holiday - there is a reason why Sri Lanka has been named as the top holiday destination this year.

Design/Staff
Stepping onto the KK premises it is evident the thought and creativity that has been put into the design - this is not just luxury....this is villas that boast personality and style. Every detail is considered and collectively brings such a unique and chic feel - it is hard to describe as it really is in a league of its own. I've never stayed anywhere like this. We booked all 8 villas for 3 days and our closest family and friends could not have been more impressed and excited to stay here with us at KK. The dining pavilion and bar area exude the same chic feel and overlook the breathtaking tea fields below. The service shown to all guests is one of genuine care, the staff are extremely attentive and strive to do all they can to help with any request. All with big smiles and beautiful Sri Lankan hospitality.

Wedding
From the moment I selected this venue to host my wedding, the entire planning process was made extremely seamless by George. I LOVED planning the wedding with George - which is not something all brides experience - and we did this even without meeting!!! The fact that this all took place whilst I was in front of my computer Australia is a credit to George. We communicated over emails and Skype - it is because of how good George is that he can make such an amazing wedding happen even when he hasn't met the couple face to face. Apart from the breath-taking venue, George is able to add so much value in the planning process and tailoring the wedding for the individual. George is able to address any queries/concerns/ideas that you have, and provide his opinion on each which I really appreciated. From me changing my mind over what month to hold the wedding, to the small details on bonbonerrie and table dressings, I never had any doubts during the planning process, being able to feel excited about my upcoming wedding rather than stressed is something I am so thankful for.

All of this planning and attention to detail made the much anticipated wedding day the most memorable and treasured experience for not just myself and my husband, but for all of our friends and family who travelled to this stunning location. The ceremony was held with the picturesque backdrop of the tea fields - there is nothing that can describe the beauty and serenity of this view. We incorporated a few local Buddhist traditions into the ceremony that were organised by George. The Kandayan drummers and there acrobatics lead the bridal party down the aisle and were loved by the guests! The celebrant Henri Tatham was recommended by George - her warmth, genuineness and exuberant personality was embraced by the guests, many of whom have expressed to me how amazing she was. Making our way to the dinner marquee I was blown away at how fabulous this looked with the flowers, lights and the table settings. George was able to incorporate the colours and look and feel that I was after to create something that was personalised, contemporary and visually stunning. His keen eye and attention to detail meant he even arranged the spray painting of 80 weaved platters to ensure that they fitted perfectly with décor. This really is above and beyond what level of care is usually given to a wedding reception. The additional activities that followed the formalities included a Fire Eating Display, Fireworks and Wishing lanterns - all of which I would strongly recommend to those holding their wedding at KK. Our guests were so thrilled to witness and take part in these things that they would never get to experience at weddings back home in Australia.

I need to highlight the food separately as this really deserves a review in its own right. From the seafood barbeque we held as our wedding rehearsal dinner, the delectable canapés after the ceremony to the formal wedding menu - it was all faultless. Visually, all the food was presented to the highest standard, and tasted unbelievable. I have had so much feedback from guests in relation to how good the food was at the event as they were blown away by it - the most talked about item being our wedding dessert - a banana tarte tartine. People are still talking about this! The day following the wedding we held a thankyou lunch of a Sri Lankan buffet at KK, again arranged by George and the team. The food station was actually constructed by hand in the morning of the event using coconut palm leaves - so much care went into this. The food itself was stunning - an array of delicious curries (my favourite the tuna), as well as a roti cart and hopper station that created some theatre for the guests aswell as providing the dish of the day - banana and nutella roti! The food was so good on this day I keep thinking back and wishing I ate more!!!

I could go on and on more about how impressed I was with every aspect of KK, there really is so much to say and to be thankful for. Seeing the look on my guests faces the entire time we were at KK is something I will never forget and it is George and the team that made this so. Whatever wedding you desire, KK and Sri Lanka is the place. There is nothing that can top it - for you as the couple, and for your guests.

Room Tip: All the rooms are amazing, each with their own unique style. The Dubu suite is amazing for honeymoo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This unique place is truly breathtaking. Designed with a perfect eye for detail. All the rooms are completely different from each other, which could give you new experiences time after time. While staying in the Tamarind, we saw monkeys, peacocks, eagles and many other birds in the trees in front of our balcony terrace above a tea estate. The rooms are spacious and very private, pure calmness, and the beds are extremely comfortable. The staff is very friendly and the food is fine and delicious. We would go there again for sure!

• Stayed June 2013
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed at the Kahanda Kanda in January and loved it! The villas are beautiful, and we spent a memorable rainy evening playing Scrabble and enjoying fabulous cocktails in the main living room. We can't say enough about the hospitality there - I wish we could have stayed much longer! But, since we got engaged there, I'm sure we'll visit for our anniversary someday! Thanks for an amazing visit!

Room Tip: Loved the Mango Suite!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

This review is a little late but better than never. We had our wedding here and hired the whole resort for the rest of the family. We can't thank George and the team enough for arranging such an amazing wedding for us and holiday for the rest of our families. From the moment we arrived and saw the beautiful location, any worries we had soon disappeared, especially when we met George who seemed so relaxed about it all.
Kahanda Kanda really is a special place, the rooms are all lovely and the Dubu suite we stayed in was just incredible - all that space just for us (and the resident monkeys, of course!). The food was delicious and went down very well with everyone, especially possibly the biggest prawns we have ever seen!
The wedding day, every single part of it exceeded our expectations. The flowers were perfect, the ceremony was laid out beautifully, the table looked lovely, food was wonderful and the lights around the gardens made the whole place look magical. The Kandyan drummers and the fire eaters added a really nice edge to the day and everyone really enjoyed watching them. Georges attention to detail really showed and if we could do it all again, there is not a single thing we would change.
Everyone has said what an incredible location Kahanda Kanda is and how well they were looked after - it's always hard to please everyone but George and the team certainly managed to do just that!.
We would both like to say a huge thank you to you and your team of lovely staff who made our stay so special and we can't wait to come back soon, maybe for our anniversary…!
Overall an amazing place and staff who created the holiday of our lives we'll never forget. For anyone else thinking about this place - just do it, you will not regret it
Scott & Kirsty

Room Tip: All of them but the Dubu we stayed in is a cut above anything we've stayed in before. Private po...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

My new wife Janey and I stayed at Kahanda Kanda for the last 5 days of our honeymoon in April. We arrived after a long and winding journey from the hill country to be greeted with Garlands and a fresh coconut drink, just what was required. We were then guided to our Mango Suite and everything was explained to us and we were asked if we would like anything to eat, which we readily agreed to a couple of salads. We were enchanted by our suite with a lovely verandah overlooking the tea plantation and jungle. We sat enchanted by the birds in the trees in front of us and our salads arrived. We were asked to choose our evening meal from the menu and we were offered a cookery lesson the following day, which we readily agreed to.
We explored the property and were enchanted by the surroundings and the eclectic furniture etc. That evening we were served Gin and Tonics in the comfortable lounge and then moved to flower petal strewn table for a lovely dinner with attentive service.
This was really the story for the rest of our stay wonderful friendly service and beautiful food. After our curry cookery lesson we ate our first curry that night and then every night afterwards, infact the staff just knew what we wanted and were happy to oblige with different curries every night and we never saw the menu again which amused us as the staff were so happy for us to eat Sri Lankan food. On the second morning with the recommendation of the totally wonderful Henry I tried Hoppers for breakfast and never looked back. I could go on and on but suffice it to say we had the most perfect time at KK we met George a couple of times in the beginning and he was amusing and charming, he was then away for the rest of our stay but the staff led by the managers attended to our every need and were always ready to offer us suggestions as to what to do, though we were mostly happy to enjoy just relaxing and soaking up the beauty of KK. We were on our own for two nights and then with another honeymooning couple whom we made friends with and dined with in the evenings again it was easily arranged for us to eat together and we shared a wonderful multi type curry together on our last night.
I have to mention Henry again he really is a wonderful man and was so friendly and helpful and Rosie the cat who soon found out we woke up at 6am and was on our doorstep when I opened the door.
We had the most wonderful stay in paradise thank you George and everyone at KK it was a dream come true for us.
David and Janey Bridgman

• Stayed April 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights (end April) at the end of a week tour of Sri Lanka and had a fantastic stay. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We specifically asked if we could have Sri Lankan curry on our last night and were given a selection of different curries, all delicious! We had an enormous villa beautifully decorated as is the whole hotel. George the owner has exquisite taste and personally welcomes you to his home. Our only little gripe was the two outside showers. Whilst previous reviewers obviously loved them we found that in the hot and humid weather no sooner had we showered then you needed another one as the shower area was stifling hot. Shaving and putting makeup on (not at the same time) was extremely difficult due to the heat! Plus at times there were tiny ants all round the sinks! I have to say they looked stunning but for us an indoor bathroom was preferable! If you intend to go end April/May ask for a villa with an inside bathroom - or not?

Room Tip: As above decide if you would prefer an inside or outside bathroom!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dubai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We enjoyed 3 lovely days and nites at KK. The setting is gorgeous..lush Sri Lankan countryside, in a tea plantation surrounded by gorgeous tropical gardens. We visited Galle a few times but found the country atmosphere at KK to be not as hectic as Galle and not as hot with gentle wafting breezes most of the day. Staff were very good in looking after all our needs and the dinner we had there also delicious. Loved the collection of dogs and Rosie the cat wondering throughout the hotel. The only slight negative (which will be fixed this month apparently) was the slightly murky pool which wasn't as inviting as it should have been.

Room Tip: Stayed in Tamarid and enjoyed the views of the country side
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Kahanda Kanda? Share your experiences!