“Beautiful Place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Angulugaha
Dubai
“Beautiful Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

Stayed here as part of a birthday celebration and was totally blown away by this beautiful hotel and the quality of service we received. We stayed in the Dubu suite which has its own pool and two very fabulous bathrooms with outdoor showers. The suite is very beautifully and tastefully decorated with very comfortable furnishings and a magnificent bed. There was 24hour free wifi both in our room and in the main lounge/restaurant areas, a minibar/fridge in the room and we didn't feel tea and coffee making facilities were necessary when a couple of the staff brought us fresh tea in bed every morning at whatever time we requested it!! They would even send a tuc-tuc to our room to take us to the restaurant when they knew we were going to be dining there. The food was all first-class but we particularly enjoyed the Sri-lankan breakfast which ( as in most hotels in Sri Lanka) had to be ordered the night before. I had a look around most of the other rooms and found them all of a very superior standard but thought our suite was particularly special. The staff were all very friendly and helpful and we enjoyed our chats with Henry and the other guys over cocktails in the bar. Finally we weren't friends of George,the very entertaining and accommodating host, prior to going there but definitely feel we are friends of Kahanda Kanda now and would love to return.

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

We had a really wonderful stay with George and his fabulous team at Kahanda Khanda over Christmas. We had never been before and the holiday was exactly what we were hoping for.

Kahanda Kanda has been beautifully designed by George, and we loved how each room was individually decorated with beautiful paintings, warm throws, as well as wonderfully spacious outdoor shower-rooms which made it much more homely than many places we have stayed at before. I think we all want different things from a holiday.... my wish was to feel utterly relaxed and so I was really pleased that the rooms didn't have plasma TV's, coffee machines, etc. - that is not what KK is all about.

It was so nice not to have people constantly fussing over you, but instead the team were very available, welcoming and were more than happy to make things available as needed, such as tea brought to our rooms in the mornings and arranging for us to have private yoga classes on our veranda which was really great.

Having travelled quite a bit with my mother over the past few years, I know that she can be pretty particular! Needless to say she loved Kahanda Kahnda and am really pleased that we opted for this place over the many others we researched (e.g. Galle Fort Hotel, Fortress).

What is great about the location is that whilst you are pretty near to Galle, you really feel you are in a beautiful spot in the wild, with monkeys jumping in the trees, iguanas making the odd appearance and views from the spectacular infinity pool across the koggala lake. Despite this, it was very easy to get into a tuk tuk from the hotel and go on day trips to Galle town (go to the spa at Amangalle!), or to the various beaches that are nearby. We also enjoyed going for cycle rides around the tea plantations and lake and the locals were very friendly.

Finally, we had never met George before and yet he couldn't have made us feel more welcome and he even invited us all along to carol singing in the town which was a very memorable night! I think his friendly and attentive manner, as well as that of Pubudu, Henry and the rest of the KK team, really make this a special place to visit and we will certainly plan a return trip in the near future.

Room Tip: We stayed in the tea room which is great if you want twin (four poster!) beds
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
New Delhi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

Had a great stay at Kahanda Kanda. The staff was friendly and sincere. The food was great too. The hotel is not on a beach however the fantastic pool area makes up for it. The accommodations are superb and very luxorious.

Will definitely go back here again

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

This hotel was an utter joke to say the least. They market themselves to be a high end tailored service, to keep it short they are a 'fraud' absolutely disgusted by how the staff serves with an attitude, it took me one hour after 6 attempts in just ordering a poached egg for breakfast. For breakfast you would like a good start to the day, no, absolutely not here. I repeated several times to make sure my order was understood, at first they just ignored it, served my partner his food, and I was left waiting for them to even ask what I would like for breakfast, then I made my request finally after patiently waiting for them 15mins, repeated for their convenience just so they understood, and yet they still got it wrong. I ordered quite simply put it in plain and simple 2 poached eggs with the yolk runny, I got no eggs, then when I chased it up they gave me 2 squarish circle egg whites?! Ok I asked them again I wanted poached eggs with the egg yolk runny... They take the two egg whites back and reap
pear 10mins later with some dried egg yolk which they just fried back on to the previously egg whites. 50mins to get breakfast even after that i still didnt get any poached eggs, i was too exhausted from it i just left and went back to the room. This is to say the least of the service, the waiters where grumpy, I sat in the bar lounge area for 40mins yet no one even came to serve me and asked if I would like a drink, they just walked around me as if i wasnt there.
The previous day I asked for olives in my sandwich, and they just turned up with a bowl of oil, which im assuming is olive oil? I gave up.
They market themselves to be a tailor made luxurious experience, all I can say is it has been Painfall. Utterly shocked. I am even surprised to see so many reviews for this hotel here that have rated it 'excellent' but it all made sense whilst my stay here... They are all friends of the owner George.
Towels had stains on them, no tea/coffee making facilities, not even a kettle, no mini fridge in room, and also the funniest thing is not even room service! We were tired after a day out and wanted to chill out and have some room service, but guess what, there is no such thing in their eyes?! Shocked, especially in the modern day world especially a high end hotel? Last but not least, they state they have Internet wifi 'throughout the entire hotel' no, that's a lie. No Internet access in rooms, I am now typing this in the lounge bar area as I am forced to use the wifi here, not in the comfort of my own room. And yes I am currently typing this review whilst my stay here as I am absolutely shocked by the treatment here. I also don't want anyone else to be fooled by staying here in the future.
All I can say it, they are somewhat a 'fraud' and if you want a relaxing peaceful well looked after time in Sri Lanka, don't come here.
For a hotel to get just making just two simple

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
GeorgeCooper_8, Owner at Kahanda Kanda, responded to this review, January 22, 2012
Unfortunately, it would appear that your stay at KK went wrong in your eyes the first evening you were here.
You came to have dinner at 6pm and asked for rice and curry, as opposed to the a la carte menu offered. You were informed that rice and curry takes about three hours to prepare, that we offer it to all guests one night a week, and that should they want it on another evening, that we needed to know in advance. We pride ourselves in the food we offer and ALL of it is cooked to order – not simply re-heated like some places.

The response clearly did not appease you, and so the following day when you asked for olives with your sandwich, you saw fit to have a tantrum because the staff had brought you some olive oil. Nobody has, as far as I am aware, asked specifically for olives before, and the staff mistakenly thought you were asking for olive oil. It is a simple error, clearly something that was lost in translation, and not a deliberate ploy to upset you.

With regards to your breakfasts, there seems to have been some confusion over the order for a Sri Lankan breakfast and a Continental breakfast. I personally had received a message the night before to remind the kitchen staff that you both wanted Sri Lankan, so if your request was misinterpreted, then I do apologise. However this does happen in Sri Lanka – this is a third world country, after all, and while the staff speak some English, they are by no means fluent.

I really do not know what to say about your breakfast complaints – we have not encountered these problems with other guests, and certainly not with the other guests who were staying here at the same time

If, as you claim, you had to wait for an hour to be offered some tea or coffee in the Living Pavilion, I can only apologise and assume that the staff you saw around you were the housekeeping, as they clean these public areas first before the bedroom suites. Had you simply asked one of them for tea or coffee, they would have organised this for you. All you had to do was ask!

Being Asian, I am sure you are aware of the concept of loss of face. Here, when asked a question, or asked to do something, more often than not, they will say yes, when the reality is that they may not have understood what has been asked of them, but do not want to admit to this. This is a cultural difference, and a hard nut to crack.

As a culture, Sri Lankans do not swear, and only very rarely do they resort to using foul language. You, Mabel, used the "f" word – amongst a number of other rude words - on a number of occasions, even to the extent asking the duty manager to translate it into Singhala. This was totally unacceptable, and inappropriate. You should show more sensitivity to a culture that is not yours, instead of displaying such vulgar and unattractive behaviour.

Your jibe in the review that the positive reviews must be my friends is a very cheap trick, and wholly unfounded.

We do not have tea or coffee making facilities in the rooms because there are staff to do this for you. Staying here is about relaxing and not having to do anything!

Your claim about there being no room service is totally inaccurate - if guests want their meals in their room, in the garden, where ever, then we will be more than happy to oblige.

I admit that we are currently having problems with wifi in the hotel, due a faulty antenna – electrical and mechanical items go wrong here on a regular basis, and it is not always easy to get hese matters sorted quickly. The replacement antenna is due shortly, and most guests are more forgiving of such problems.

All the staff here work very hard to meet the requests of our guests in order to enqure they enjoy their time here, and as you can see from the other reviews, this does, I am proud to say, seem to be the case with most of our guests. Clearly we were not the right hotel for you and your partner.

George Cooper
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

This place is amazing. Starting with the rooms, each of which (I believe) is its own separate building which gives you complet privacy, They are all decorated as if they were someone's private home with little knick knacks here and there to make you feel more like you're staying wiht a friend than in a hotel. And then the private balconies look out onto the forest so it's just you and the elements there.

The public areas are also wonderful, the swimming pool looking out onto the tea plantation strething out below you, the living 'room' welcoming and cosy and yet, without any walls around it, again bringing the outside in.

I would recommend this place unreservedly.

Midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

This was our last stop on our recent trip to Sri Lanka and absolutely the best. So good in fact that our friends who were staying on the coast decamped up to KK to join us. The rooms were heavenly, the staff so friendly and George the perfect host. It was also lovely to see dogs and cats that were obviously much-loved pets after seeing so many mangy ones all over the island. (We were missing our own by this time, so having George's to cuddle was lovely.) Henry was on top form and the food was the best we experienced. The beds were very comfortable and we have invested in mattress toppers at home to replicate them! One review mentioned mould on the outside cushions, but for heaven's sake the humidity is extreme and if you want the fun of outside lounging on Roman-style sofas then a bit of damp is a small price to pay! The rainwater pool was beautifully soft. I do hope we can return before too long.

Dublin Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

This was our 4th visit and 3rd Christmas holiday at KK and it just keeps getting better.
We were very lucky with the weather and had a good 12 days straight sunshine – George and the team have added 2 new villas to the property making it now an 8 villa private hotel – This makes the restaurant and the public pavilions a little busier than the last visits but the change is all for the good. Guests chat to each other assisted by George’s well-honed social mingling skills and we all share our discoveries in the area eg Which beach is the best and where to buy gems etc. etc.
The food is much improved and the team in the kitchen were working hard this high season. Lots of variety and great fish.
Henry is still “the man” in the Bar / Lounge and the rest of the management and team made us feel welcomed back and very well looked after. It’s always hard to leave Hope to get back someday.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good, see on line which you would like
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Kahanda Kanda? Share your experiences!