“Great place for family skiing - on the expensive side” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Activities: Skiing
More attraction details
Owner description: This resort area in the Italian Dolomites is not only a haven for downhill skiers and snowboarders, but is also a delightful summer resort from May through October for hikers, climbers and nature-lovers.
Italy
“Great place for family skiing - on the expensive side”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

We spent the weekend in Valdaora and went skking at Kronplatz. The runs are great, very large and suitable for all levels. All facilities are available: from ski and snowbord schools to restaurants, rentals shop, photographer, you name it..
Tickets are quite expensive and there is no real discount for two days.
From Valdaora you can take a skibus to reach the gondolas but - and this is what I found disgraceful - the ticket is €3 per person per day: not a great incentive to leave the car in the village and take an enviromentally friendly ride up the slopes!

Visited February 2012

• Polish first
4 attraction reviews
“Kron ski schule”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

My husband and I came to kronplatz, valdaora, italy for the first time in January 2012. Excellent! We had never skied before, so had lessons, one to one with the Kron ski school run by 'Martin'. You book lessons by emailing them, or speaking to them at their office at the bottom of the slopes at valdaora or on the top of the slopes. Excellent patient teachers and for absolute beginners, like us, you can learn at the Kron children's slope area which was great! After just three days in January, we got the ski bug, and have just returned from 8 days in Valdaora. I skied with Franz. excellent teacher!!! And I can now ski! My son learnt with Lucas and Veit, two younger fun guys. Really family resort. Our two year old spent 3 to 5 hours in the crèche while husband and I had lessons and our 5 year old also had lessons. Next year, our, by that time, three year old will start lessons. Crèche great! Lovely girls. Children eat together in children's restaurant. We have already booked for 2013!!! And many many more years to come! Thank you Kron ski school for giving us the bug for fresh mountain air! Well organised, clean, good food, friendly people!! Photographers go around taking pictures which is lovely. You buy them at the Kron ski desk if you want to. Kids equipment rental at Kron ski school desk. We were all sad to leave. Our son was in tears!!! Roll on January 2013!!!!

Crowthorne, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
“The BEST”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

We have now been from UK to Kronplatz 4 times. We have been to about 25 ski resorts in Europe and USA and this is the ONE we want to go back to over and over again. Not great if you spend all day on Black runs, but fabulous for beginners or families who want to ski together. The lift system is brilliant. No buttons, no T bars, just smooth gondolas and chairs, and lots of beautifully prepared red and blue slopes. Hotels in the area are also good, just do not expect a wild night life.(suits us). We go skiing February this year - back to Kronplatz of course.

Visited March 2011
Hertfordshire
16 attraction reviews
“Skiing in Kronplatz, Italy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

Just to say that we had a family holiday skiing in Kronplatz this year and thought I would share our experiences with you.

We stayed in the Hotel Petrus in Reisach, which was fantastic, clean and in the main very friendly. The food and the pool/spa/sauna area was superb. They have a mini-bus on turn around taking you to, and picking you up from the slopes. The most we had to wait was 10 minutes.

The skiing is very good with some very wide slopes on the top of the mountain (2250M) and two VERY challenging black runs (for me!) back down to the bottom of the chairlift.

The only downside is that apart from the 2 restaurant/bars at the bottom of the slopes there is no other nightlife, so ideal for families.

I promised myself that I wouldn't tell anyone else about the place because I wanted it to be my secret! But too late now I guess!

An intriguing thing is that although it is in Italy, everyone speaks German (Austrian). Confused me anyway!

A TripAdvisor Member
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2005

Best skiing spot out of 5 in Italy that I have tried. Well organized skiing facilities,wide,long and well kept. Both black and red slopes are about 5Km long each.
Brunico, the closest city is really nice. Lot's of accomodation run in the true clean Germanic way.
Food is typical on the slopes and there is even a fancy self service on the top with stunning views.
Best results obtained off peak and during the week which means you get to ski almost alone. Try the "Kronplatz " websites for webcam snow updates. By train from Milan it takes about 3 hours via Verona, Trento and Bolzano.Renting of equipment and overnight storage is available all-over at cheap prices.